IGNORED

RIP - Colin Bell

Sheltons Army

I remember the Bury game (1966 according to Dazzler, a night game I seem to recall) it was like watching a spirit floating across the turf he made Nijinsky look like a carthorse - pure class, got his autograph after the game and someone asked him if he was off to Manchester City (no Man' City shorthand in those days) he just smiled, very nice guy, RIP.

13 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember seeing him playing for Bury against City at AG in the 2nd Division in early 1966, it was just before he left for Manchester City.  I remember it distinctly as the crowd were buzzing about the chance to see Colin Bell, and the fact that he was almost certain to sign for Man City. As a footnote City won 2-1 (had to look that fact up as I remember seeing Colin Bell more than the match itself!).

He was a great player for Man City and England, full of energy.  RIP.

me too .

Super player who glided over the mud-heap playing surfaces prevalent in the sixties/seventies.

Don't think many of today's so-called "superstars" could cope with playing on similar surfaces.

Colin Bell was a quiet, polite and modest man. I think his closet friend was Tony Book, a man with similar qualities.

Colin deserves every accolade given to him.

RIP

16 hours ago, Dave L said:

Superb player.  I was a student in Manchester in 78/79, living in a house a stone's throw from Maine Rd. Would often see Colin Bell pounding the streets as he tried to get fit again after a long injury. He was never the same player sadly. He was worshipped by Man City fans. They'd say 'if I came home and found my missus in bed with Colin Bell, I'd make him a cup of tea'. 

I was a couple of years ahead  of you (at Manchester Poly and living in Whalley  Range - a short walk from Maine Rd) and saw Bell in his prime.  He was,  like Martin Peters, ahead of his time - his late runs into the box from apparently nowhere created  many goals.  In those days it was quite an  unusual tactic but now all decent attacking midfielders do it.  He also had a silky smooth running style which was easy on the eye.  Kevin De Bruyne is the current player whom he most resembles although the latter is probably even better technically than Bell was.

Interesting so see everybody unanimous on Colin Bell - not a single person saying he was overrated. Yet I expect he is not that well known amongst the younger group who don’t actually remember him. Events cement reputations I suppose, as he was a better player than some in the 1966 World Cup winning side.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interesting so see everybody unanimous on Colin Bell - not a single person saying he was overrated. Yet I expect he is not that well known amongst the younger group who don’t actually remember him. Events cement reputations I suppose, as he was a better player than some in the 1966 World Cup winning side.

Would Josh Brownhill perhaps give our "younger group" some idea what Colin Bell was about?  

43 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I know he didn`t play a lot for Man City in his last couple of seasons but did he ever play at AG for them? I was too young to see the Bury game referred to by others above.

He was crocked in Nov '75 and made his comeback Boxing day '77 so definitely missed the first game here, 76/77 season. 

His last season at Maine Road was 78/9 so he didn’t play here in 79/80.

He's named in my programme for the 77/8 season game here, but not in my programme for the 78/9 season home game.

54 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He was crocked in Nov '75 and made his comeback Boxing day '77 so definitely missed the first game here, 76/77 season. 

His last season at Maine Road was 78/9 so he didn’t play here in 79/80.

He's named in my programme for the 77/8 season game here, but not in my programme for the 78/9 season home game.

Just checked my own records of games attended (and double checked with Rothmans) and can confirm Colin Bell played wearing his famous #8 in the 2-2 draw at Ashton Gate on 17th Feb 1978. Joe Royle & Clive Whitehead scored for us and Brian Kidd & Tommy Booth for Man City in front of over 25K. Strangely for those times it was a 7.45pm KO on a Friday. Anyone know why?

Bell was also a favourite of mine (for other clubs) and he played 17 times that season (incl 1 sub), making his long awaited comeback on Boxing Day 77.

On 05/01/2021 at 20:38, downendcity said:

Will Man City name the home end after him, in recognition?

:whistle:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  never heard that one before4

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

literally cannot stop laughing

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

4 hours ago, city1983 said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  never heard that one before4

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

literally cannot stop laughing

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't see what's so funny about The Colin End - unless it was being named after Warnock. 

:whistle:

On 05/01/2021 at 20:10, Moments of Pleasure said:

Like Bryan Robson, Colin Bell was a Durham born lad that never played for Sunderland or Newcastle. You could probably compile a great X1 of North East born players that were lured away down south to play. Bobby Charlton another, of course.  Decent midfield that.

Think he had a really bad injury in the 70s. 

Aye, Bell was some player - drifted around the field effortlessly, oozing elegance and class ...

I might try to compile a suggested XI based on your criteria .... watch this space! ?

21 hours ago, Grem said:

Just checked my own records of games attended (and double checked with Rothmans) and can confirm Colin Bell played wearing his famous #8 in the 2-2 draw at Ashton Gate on 17th Feb 1978. Joe Royle & Clive Whitehead scored for us and Brian Kidd & Tommy Booth for Man City in front of over 25K. Strangely for those times it was a 7.45pm KO on a Friday. Anyone know why?

Bell was also a favourite of mine (for other clubs) and he played 17 times that season (incl 1 sub), making his long awaited comeback on Boxing Day 77.

Thanks mate. I was definitely at that game so would have seen him play.

On 06/01/2021 at 00:07, Champion Dung Spreader said:

it was said that he was naturally fit and hardly needed to train

I recall that he had a problem as a very young lad: he had badly restricted circulation and as he was growing up his heart had to work much harder to cope. Consequently his heart grew larger and stronger than it might otherwise. The restrictions cleared in his teens and so he was left with a massive advantage regards stamina, earning his reputation as the player the trainers couldn't push to exhaustion.

Yes, one of England's best.

Archived