IGNORED

Gloucester Senior Cup 1969 - help an old man!

Tonks55

I'm just reading the excellent book by Neil Palmer, 'Behind the Goal', containing peoples stories of the 'East end'.

One story recalls our 5-0 victory over Bristol Rovers in 1969, at Ashton Gate. However my memory is of walking down Stapleton Road, singing 5-0, 5-0, 5-0, 5-0. i.e. the game must have been played at Eastville?

Perhaps someone with a better memory than me (although it was over 50 years ago!), can tell me whether it was at Ashton Gate or Eastville?

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It was away at Eastville.

I missed the game as living in  Southville and big problem with buses that evening to get there.

Really choked when I heard the result next day. No Radio Bristol!

too young for that un, but wow. what a joyous night that must have been. Drink up Ye Cider, Drink up Ye Cider, for tonight we'll merry be.................

20 minutes ago, pogue malone said:

Yep Eastville, was with fellow meaders, didnt realise it was 50 odd yrs ago wow

Ah The Meaders. Always intrigued me the North-West Bristol divide.

From my recollection of school/the East-Park End days Meaders and Lawrence Weston/Shire, Avonmouth were all majority City at the time?

Spilt in WoT, as was Henbury, Brentry, Horfield  although the latter three probably slightly more Gas. 

Left Bristol in the late 70’s. Seemed a lot of former City areas went a bit blue. What happened?  

1 hour ago, Tonks55 said:

I'm intrigued - why the 'Night of the Tulips'? I'm guessing but was it because the flower beds behind the goals at Eastville were uprooted in celebration?

'Tiptoe through the Tote End' I seem to remember!

3 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

The first game of football I ever saw, as an 8 year old what an introduction that was.

First game I remember too.

The Cubmaster who took us all along was a Rovers fan determined to indoctrinate us all to support the gas.

No chance!

My first away game as a young’un.

What a benchmark. 

iIn the middle of the Tote, invaded the pitch, 5-0.

All down hill from there - apart from Forest, Coventry, Wolves, Swindle, Arsenal, Rovers Cup  and, oddly, Chester.  

Travelled home in a car full of Rovers supporters, some who later became ‘notorious’ Tote Enders. Good thing mind, as mistakenly thought a mob of the Lockleaze ‘massive’ had red and white not blue and white scarfs on. First lesson learnt on away-day etiquette!

17 hours ago, RedRock said:

Ah The Meaders. Always intrigued me the North-West Bristol divide.

From my recollection of school/the East-Park End days Meaders and Lawrence Weston/Shire, Avonmouth were all majority City at the time?

Spilt in WoT, as was Henbury, Brentry, Horfield  although the latter three probably slightly more Gas. 

Left Bristol in the late 70’s. Seemed a lot of former City areas went a bit blue. What happened?  

Southmead NOT blue,never was and still isn’t 

18 hours ago, pogue malone said:

Yep Eastville, was with fellow meaders, didnt realise it was 50 odd yrs ago wow

Made many a walk down Muller rd from Southmead when we played them at the dump,not once did any gas even attempt to come near us?.

First away match,if can call it that,was living in St. Paul’s at the time and went to the game with the City rd branch of the Boys Brigade,stood on the Tote,and can still remember the flower beds.If I remember rightly didn’t Chris Garland jump into arms of ?,after scoring,can’t remember who .

Archived