IGNORED

Sean Dyche

daored

Appreciate this is covid related and it’s impact on sport but Dyche has requested that premier league players should be vaccinated to protect the games integrity. He also believes this will reduce impact on NHS as the money used for testing could be used instead on the vaccination programme. 

A few quotes:

“My view, and I’m not saying it’s the view, but vaccination is the way forward for football,” 

“I appreciate some people will be surprised by that comment.

"But if you think about it, we all wanted football back, there’s the cash it generates through tax, the well-being it generates with the obvious most high-profile one being Marcus Rashford and what he achieved.

“You look at the amount spent on testing in the Premier League , that money could then be channelled back into the NHS and into the vaccination system.

"Surely that’s better than just continually testing a load of footballers two or three times a week?

“I appreciate some people will say why should footballers get vaccinated etc?

“But 20 Premier League clubs with say 100 people vaccinated, the payback to the NHS would be considerable.

“If you vaccinate, you don’t need to keep testing and that money could be used for a much-better cause while football would stay a competitive industry rather than one that might end up skewed because of players missing games.”

No doubt some will criticise the elitism angle of these comments, but in a practical sense, they are perfectly valid, imo. 

No harm making the suggestion, but leave it to those in the position of deciding, as to whether its a good idea, in terms of saving recourses on regular testing, or a bad idea because why should they get priority over others. 

I see it as a valid suggestion, and no kind of demand, so it's fair comment. 

For me, a hard no. 

Football clubs having vaccines will mean that people that really need them to avoid death will be pushed further down the queue. 

And that's before you mention any of the other things he raised. Money going back into the NHS? Like clubs would give the money they were using for testing to the NHS. Just can't see it. 

If testing is costing too much or football isn't competitive enough then it just needs to stop for a while. 

1 minute ago, sinenomine said:If testing is costing too much or football isn't competitive enough then it just needs to stop for a while. 

Completely agree and I thought the testing wouldn’t take away from the public. I guess I was naive 

I raised a similar point in another thread about olympians but that was only on the basis that they'd be going abroad mixing with people from different countries at close proximity and it was on the basis of that they'd get their first jab after all vulnerable people were vaccinated so very late March/April at the earliest and the latest possible time for getting a second jab before leaving. Football shouldn't queue jump for vaccines now that there is a suitable supply of tests to see through the season, this season has no less integrity than last season being impacted by covid as well. Perhaps in the summer before next season they could queue jump a bit when vaccinating is hopefully into the general population and we're into millions of vaccinations per week (hopefully). At that point the most vulnerable are dealt with and you're just moving through a list for the population by group. 

Sd only mentioned prem league, what about the other divisions, as someone else said There’s queue, players are meant to fit, so they should recover easily, stop mixing with people who you shouldn’t be, if caught they should be fined heavily and then that money could go to the NHS,

I would rather the vaccine was used on 1000 vulnerable or elderly folk who are at risk of death rather than 1000 overpaid, fit, young footballers who probably wouldn't even have symptoms if they got it.

A test before each game should suffice for them.

Hmmm.....good well made points from Dyche. Certainly worth considering simply on the benefits he highlights.

Can’t see it happening tho - it would piss off those waiting in line as most of us are. They’d be unwilling/unable so understand Dyche’s reasoning.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Dyche talking bollocks....NHS staff, the vulnerable, carers and teachers are well ahead in the queue

He acknowledged that. Saying that vaccines for players should not come at the expense of far more vulnerable people. 

Did you not hear or see what he actually said? 

Completely and utterly disagree. I love football but it's not the most important thing in the world right now. And vaccinating players from Elite clubs does nothing for the rest of the game. Would it even stretch to the Championship, let alone League One or League Two.

If there are costs for testing being spent on the Premier League, it should be channeled into the NHS full stop. Premier League clubs can pay for their own testing. Much as I enjoy football, I hate this view that it is entitled to suck and drain from the rest of society. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He acknowledged that. Saying that vaccines for players should not come at the expense of far more vulnerable people. 

The next 15 million vaccines are earmarked for people who are vulnerable to COVID. And after that it will be for frontline workers who are at direct risk.

Any vaccines that are used before there are at least 20 million in the UK being distributed WILL be taken from more vulnerable people. To pretend otherwise is doublespeak.

14 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I would rather the vaccine was used on 1000 vulnerable or elderly folk who are at risk of death rather than 1000 overpaid, fit, young footballers who probably wouldn't even have symptoms if they got it.

A test before each game should suffice for them.

I agree entirely but I think Dyche’s point is that the testing costs a hell of a lot of money and therefore that money could be spent on expediting the vaccination programme if the players got their shot and no longer needed the testing each week. That’s a great idea imho BUT would depend on the government using the saved money if it happened to good effect and therefore is a non starter anyway.  

I guess the problem would be, if you did this, where is the line in the sand?

Does rugby get the same?

What about athletes for the olympics?

Darts and Snooker have been on the TV - do they get vaccinated too? Why not if football did?

It all starts to unravel.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Then if he acknowledges that then surely he would know that would mean footballers not being vaccinated for at least 6 months as at the moment there are no plans to vaccinate anybody under 40. 

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

I agree entirely but I think Dyche’s point is that the testing costs a hell of a lot of money and therefore that money could be spent on expediting the vaccination programme if the players got their shot and no longer needed the testing each week. That’s a great idea imho BUT would depend on the government using the saved money if it happened to good effect and therefore is a non starter anyway.  

If the Premier League Clubs can afford to channel money into the NHS to accelerate the vaccine programme they can do this without the need to jump the que, the benefit they get will be fans being able to come back sooner assuming the kind of money they could distribute has a meaningful impact on the vaccine's

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If the Premier League Clubs can afford to channel money into the NHS to accelerate the vaccine programme they can do this without the need to jump the que, the benefit they get will be fans being able to come back sooner assuming the kind of money they could distribute has a meaningful impact on the vaccine's

Think you’re looking at it a different way to me but equally valid view. It won’t happen anyway so all hypothetical imho. 

34 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Would it? Is the problem availability or just the ability to do the numbers?

Genuine question. 

I was under the impression that availability is the issue, due to batches undergoing testing and that testing not being particularly fast. I am happy to be corrected if I have got that wrong. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-almost-3-5-million-uk-vaccines-held-up-by-regulator-12180185

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Expected better from you RR. Applying the above comments he makes zero good points and if we're gonna prioritize people on the benefits they provide to the economy, number 1 it's immoral, and 2 there are a shedload of other professions that would need to be added. Can't wait for the Banks to suggest they should be included.

Pretty much everyone out there who doesn't think there's a chip in the vaccine or that it'll render them infertile are desperate for the opportunity to be vaccinated and get some sort of normality restored to their life and if your sole concern is boosting the economy I'll bet you they'd be happy to pay £ 10 each, although luckily that's not how the NHS works.

It’s a fairly decent debatable point and not necessarily black and white.

As I understand it, PL clubs have c80 tests each available a week, and these are for 40 players/staff to be tested twice. The cost IIRC was c£100 per test, so let’s say £10k per week per club

Making an assumption of the vaccines going to the same 40 players/staff, that means Dyche is effectively suggesting that 800 vaccines are used if one shot/1600 if two shots. For consistency, and in line with the current approach, let’s say 1 shot.

The Government are targeting 13m people with one shot by mid feb. Therefore, the “plan” represents 0.006% of available vaccines.

If people get the vaccine now, they have 3 weeks before testing can reasonably stop.

This means if you jab footballers now then you theoretically stop testing at end of Jan.

Football then diverts the cost of testing to the NHS for a defined period (say 6 months). That’s £200k x 26 weeks = £5.2m

So, your sum is (even before ancillaries like tax etc are considered) is 0.006% of vaccines for c£5m. Noting that people like Hodgson won’t be queue jumping.

I probably come on the side of no, but I do think there’s an argument here

As someone that is vulnerable and shielding so pretty desperate to this vaccine, I wouldn't have an issue with this.

Football is a welcome distraction, and provides some sense of normality (even without fans) and the structure that games provide is welcome.

A few hundred ahead of me isn't really gonna impact me massively, but not having football to watch would impact me more even though I don't watch many games other than City.  

1 minute ago, Honiton Tony said:

So exactly who do these tossers think they should be ahead of ?

Don’t think any ‘tossers’ think they should be above anyone if you read what’s actually being said? It’s a debate that’s all.  It won’t happen. 

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a fairly decent debatable point and not necessarily black and white.

As I understand it, PL clubs have c80 tests each available a week, and these are for 40 players/staff to be tested twice. The cost IIRC was c£100 per test, so let’s say £10k per week per club

Making an assumption of the vaccines going to the same 40 players/staff, that means Dyche is effectively suggesting that 800 vaccines are used if one shot/1600 if two shots. For consistency, and in line with the current approach, let’s say 1 shot.

The Government are targeting 13m people with one shot by mid feb. Therefore, the “plan” represents 0.006% of available vaccines.

If people get the vaccine now, they have 3 weeks before testing can reasonably stop.

This means if you jab footballers now then you theoretically stop testing at end of Jan.

Football then diverts the cost of testing to the NHS for a defined period (say 6 months). That’s £200k x 26 weeks = £5.2m

So, your sum is (even before ancillaries like tax etc are considered) is 0.006% of vaccines for c£5m. Noting that people like Hodgson won’t be queue jumping.

I probably come on the side of no, but I do think there’s an argument here

I'm not sure if the vaccine programme can be accelerated purely by throwing money at it but if the clubs were to each commit say £1m each (£20m total) plus whatever the EFL or other sports could afford and it took a significant number of weeks off the timetable for vaccination then it would be in their interests to commit the money as well as continue the testing protocol they currently adhere too.

Currently there is a good chance they won't have fans in before the end of the season, if they managed to shave 6 weeks off the programme for vaccines and it meant stadiums being back to full capacity by say mid-March then they would all get their money back in gate receipts for the remaining home games they have left, presumably once the vulnerable are vaccinated the level of testing required could be relaxed as fatality rate of Covid would be similar to that of flu at this point anyway so the costs for testing would ease off anyway?

Archived