Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know he never said for it to be done ahead of the vulnerable. That’s why I said in my post “once the vulnerable are done, then what?”  

I must say, you’re the first person I’ve heard describe footballers as key workers. 
Sorry bud, I’m usually in agreement with a lot of what you post, but I can never agree with that. 

I’ve just had a thought about football, and it’s continuing to play. How many medical staff are being wasted at these games! I assume there’s a requirement for a certain number of St John’s to be present. A club Doctor. Varying additional medical personnel. 
All of these people could surely be helping out somewhere else in this extreme circumstance we now find ourselves in. 
If football wants to help, quit playing and let these medically qualified persons go out and do some good - whether that’s being able to administer vaccinations, or carry out tests, or help their local hospital with non-covid patients or other ‘routine’ stuff etc etc. 

Apparently London is on its knees. Yet there’ll be numerous football matches taking place in London this weekend, each probably with 4 St John’s, numerous Dr’s and other medically trained people. There’s probably hundreds of trained professionals who’ll be at a number of pointless football matches when they could be out there supporting the services that are at breaking point.  

Seems utterly ridiculous to me, to be playing football at this time. 

So if Dyche wants to help - call your game off this weekend and send all of your medical staff to the local hospital to help out. 

Now I was sticking up for Dyche in some ways earlier in this thread. I could certainly see some logic to his point, but actually, I think this is the best post i’ve read by far on this topic ( granted I’ve skimmed through a few! ). I can’t say I’d miss the football either. COYR 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, daored said:

@JamesBCFCthe quotes I gave at the start were quotes I saw. I don’t have an agenda against Dyche or his comments, felt it was an interesting debate. As we’ve seen some agree, some disagree. It’s an emotive subject and I think @Harrymakes a strong point about whether club medical staff could be used to support the NHS if football ceased? Agree it seems strange where we have hospitals overrun in parts of the country but professional sport is being played - what happens if a player breaks a leg tomorrow at a game in London?

@WolfOfWestStreet unsure why you class progressional footballers as key workers 

A question as I don't see very much reference to it. Is Ashton Gate still being used as a vaccination centre by the Army ?

May as well ask the question about Ashton Gate.

It's really not all that important, money. Can't put a price on fighting Covid.

However, how much might Ashton Gate (and by extension, other venues) be getting paid for this?

I'm not especially bothered, just interested.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Frankly, it disturbs me that someone would consider they are.

It's an alternative point of view no need to be hostile. 

Football has helped my mental health significantly during lockdown, some mild escape from the depression of the real world. 

If there are things that can be done to keep it going then I'm all in favour of hearing alternative ideas. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

May as well ask the question about Ashton Gate.

It's really not all that important, money. Can't put a price on fighting Covid.

However, how much might Ashton Gate (and by extension, other venues) be getting paid for this?

I'm not especially bothered, just interested.

They won't be profittering which is more than could be said for many of those involved in the 'deals' the Government has made over the last nine months. I get the impression Bristol Sport offered up Ashton Gate out of a mixture of public spiritness and for the kudos they'd get. Personally as someone who live in spitting distance of the South Stand I just hope the traffic and increased footfall is managed. There's no sign that they've even thought about this, but we'll see what happens next week. I'm also thinking I'll have to go out for my daily exercise about 6am to avoid the masses.

Edited by Sleepy1968
football -> footfall!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's an alternative point of view no need to be hostile. 

Football has helped my mental health significantly during lockdown, some mild escape from the depression of the real world. 

If there are things that can be done to keep it going then I'm all in favour of hearing alternative ideas. 

I wasn't being hostile. Apologies if it came across that way.

Edited by BigTone
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I wasn't being hostile. Apologies if it came across that way.

Don't apologise, my opinions aren't always everyone's taste. I do where j can try and put some kind of case behind them. Sorry for snapping you. 

Not much I wouldn't give right now waking up today knowing I was going down the gate to watch a game with my mates and several pints of gold. 

• Like 2