IGNORED

Accrington Stanley - Who Are They?

Davefevs

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Would be fantastic and wouldn’t put it past them to finish above us next season,granted we will be bottom but still 

I'm a little less pessimistic than that but I think we need to be very careful, not sure if it's because we have just been unlucky with injuries or there is something that we don't know about behind the scenes but the general trajectory of the club doesn't look good at the moment, but we all know how quickly it can change either way. 

I watched the Charlton v Stanley match last night. Obviously it was only League 1 but it was far more entertaining than watching City. Stanley played some good football and getting into the Championship isn’t impossible. Remember a few years ago, when Gary Johnson was manager, Yeovil was near the bottom of the league but went on a late run and finished in the playoffs, subsequently winning the final. They only lasted one season but at least they made it. 

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

It really wouldn't. 

Well I disagree, a team that only won promotion back to the League in 2006 after going out of existence in 1962 playing in arguably one of the most competitive and well supported leagues in the world would be an incredible achievement and would imo easily rival the exploits of a team that were already in the premier league winning the division they were already in (amazing achievement though it was).  

20 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well I disagree, a team that only won promotion back to the League in 2006 after going out of existence in 1962 playing in arguably one of the most competitive and well supported leagues in the world would be an incredible achievement and would imo easily rival the exploits of a team that were already in the premier league winning the division they were already in (amazing achievement though it was).  

Leicester were in League 1 in 2009....won the prem what 7 years later.....3 teams go up from L2 only 1 team can win the prem.....beating ManC Liv and the rest in the process.

Not comparable, not even close....a small side gets into L1 happens all the time.....small teams get into the Champ it happens. Regularly.

Where I go several times a year (COVID permitting) Benalmadena on the Costa Del Sol in Spain, there's a bar called 'Stanleys' run by a fanatical Stanley fan - Mark. it's got all sorts of scarves, pennants and photos in it - Mark must be loving the football at least - going some way to distracting him from the fact he's had hardly any customers over the past 9 months....☹️

12 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Accrington Stanley???!!

https://youtu.be/zPFrTBppRfw

I always thought that ad was a bit disrespectful to a club who - in an earlier incarnation - were one of the founder members of the Football League.

You kind of want the dad to appear and say "Drink milk out of a glass not the bottle, and don't grow up to be a plastic glory hunter, you little bastard!"

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I watched the Charlton v Stanley match last night. Obviously it was only League 1 but it was far more entertaining than watching City. Stanley played some good football and getting into the Championship isn’t impossible. Remember a few years ago, when Gary Johnson was manager, Yeovil was near the bottom of the league but went on a late run and finished in the playoffs, subsequently winning the final. They only lasted one season but at least they made it. 

From what I recall of local highlights, when they were briefly the highest ranked side in the West, their big problem was scoring goals- more prolific striker, may have stayed up- especially the case in home gams.

Had some notable loanees that season based on a quick search!

Hennessey, Duffy, Ralls, Lawrence, Holmes- and Ishmael Miller.

All but the last currently playing at Championship or above.

Plus Lundstram, Sheffield United. Sam Johnstone too in fact on further inspection.

10 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Getting into the championship, for those who can't afford to be in it, is probably the worst thing that can happen. It's to expensive to play in this league, for the smaller clubs. 

Look at every "small" club who's punched above their weight to get in it and see where they are now. 

Hopefully Wycombe have right in not spending money to compete and just accept where they finish, after giving it their best shot. 

That's why it's SO competitive. Being here is financially disastrous for any club that hasn't got big money backers. 

They either have to cover losses whilst here, or gamble on going up to the money league. If they can't realistically challenge, then they really have to enjoy the experience and happily drop back down to league 1.

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Getting into the championship, for those who can't afford to be in it, is probably the worst thing that can happen. It's to expensive to play in this league, for the smaller clubs. 

Look at every "small" club who's punched above their weight to get in it and see where they are now. 

Hopefully Wycombe have right in not spending money to compete and just accept where they finish, after giving it their best shot. 

That's why it's SO competitive. Being here is financially disastrous for any club that hasn't got big money backers. 

They either have to cover losses whilst here, or gamble on going up to the money league. If they can't realistically challenge, then they really have to enjoy the experience and happily drop back down to league 1.

I don’t follow the logic of it being financially disastrous / more expensive and having to cover their losses. Accrington haven’t spent a fortune to get where they are so they are not burdened by debt. If a club, that’s promoted, keeps basically the same squad the expenditure remains basically the same costs don’t increase. On the other hand gates, sponsorship,  TV income etc will increase. This process will probably result in relegation but the club should go down with more money than it had when it went up. 

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rotherham are a club who can yoyo quite happily. Accrington seem quite a bit smaller however.

Archived