IGNORED

5 years ago tomorrow we lost David Bowie

Lanterne Rouge

And I`m still not really over it if I`m honest. I still feel a little sad when I hear one of his songs.

If anyone`s interested Mark Radcliffe is devoting the whole of his show tomorrow morning (6music 7-10am) to the great man. Knowing Mark, it will be excellent, well-researched and well worth a listen.

RIP David. We will never see your like again.

Very few "celebrities " that have actually made me feel any sense of loss. John Peel was one, David Bowie another. 
I remember when I started secondary school, a new mate lived near so we went to his house at lunchtime some days. He played key first hearing of Aladin Sane and Bowie has been part of my life since. Lost interest for a while, thin White Duke period, but never stopped liking him. Just an absolute genius, never stopped learning or changing. Plus I loved the fact I never heard anyone say anything nasty about him after he died. Far from it, heard many nice stories of him being a genuine nice bloke.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Very few "celebrities " that have actually made me feel any sense of loss. John Peel was one, David Bowie another. 
I remember when I started secondary school, a new mate lived near so we went to his house at lunchtime some days. He played key first hearing of Aladin Sane and Bowie has been part of my life since. Lost interest for a while, thin White Duke period, but never stopped liking him. Just an absolute genius, never stopped learning or changing. Plus I loved the fact I never heard anyone say anything nasty about him after he died. Far from it, heard many nice stories of him being a genuine nice bloke.

I`m with you on John Peel. The other two that I still feel a real sense of loss for are Joe Strummer and Kirsty MacColl.

30 minutes ago, TomF said:

1947 to 2016. When you look at it he choose a good time to arrive and depart.

Like you even as a 40 something I’m not over it, such a wonderful artist 

i bought that album he released just before his death,only listened to half of it as it seemed very depressing to me.not the bowie i was used to

I really would recommend this book:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/david-bowie/dylan-jones/9781786090430

An incredible artist, a fascinating (albeit complex and sometimes morally questionable) musician who left an incredible legacy.

Incidentally well worth checking out his Deram recordings. They're hit and miss but a fascinating document of an artist finding his place in the world.

On 09/01/2021 at 20:09, Lanterne Rouge said:

And I`m still not really over it if I`m honest. I still feel a little sad when I hear one of his songs.

If anyone`s interested Mark Radcliffe is devoting the whole of his show tomorrow morning (6music 7-10am) to the great man. Knowing Mark, it will be excellent, well-researched and well worth a listen.

RIP David. We will never see your like again.

I know what you mean, I struggled to listen to any of his music until very recently. Now I recon I’ve listened to more Bowie in the last 3 weeks than the last 5 years and I’ve loved it.

Also, now google is available unlike when we first listened to him, I had a session of listening and googling the lyrics and laughing at the lines I’d been getting wrong for all these years.

I’ve even dug out a bit of old memorabilia, programs, tee-shirts etc that I’d forgot I had, turns out they’re worth a few quid, not that I’m selling. 

When I lived in France the town I lived in, Carcassonne, had an annual music festival and the first summer we were there amazingly Bowie was booked to come. Now although I’d seen him live a number of times this was a short walk from where I lived and I’d be able to get very close. I couldn’t believe my luck.

A few days before the concert he had a heart attack and the tour was cancelled, he never toured again. I was so upset and quite angry I totally forgot I had asked for one of the tour posters and didn’t go to the ticket shop to pick it up until it was too late. I even had to hand back our unused tickets to get refunds, so the whole thing now is like a dream. 

A shocker - although I'd heard in 2015 from an industry source that Bowie was "very ill".

He had a lot of tributes, but I think the fact that the statue afront Wells Reclamation yard is still painted in Ziggy colours is a nice local (to me) reminder of probably my favourite artist of all time. 

A musician who really was a recording artist as well - not an "artiste", some family friendly entertainer.

Archived