IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread

2 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

I certainly won't be watching anything on fa player again. Had a good 10 mins of buffer free entertainment and the rest was all over the shop.  

Excellent stream for free, I didn’t even have one minute of buffering. I did log onto the website about half an hour prior to ko not that it should make any difference. 

1 minute ago, handballbygordonparr said:

Really? Championship players with tired legs after 80mins football in 11 Days - might explain why we have so many injuries if this is our level of fitness.

Yeah the tiredness thing really bugs me - these are supposedly elite level athletes earning serious money.  Today of all days given the amount of time off, that should not be an excuse at all. 

2 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Excellent stream for free, I didn’t even have one minute of buffering. I did log onto the website about half an hour prior to ko not that it should make any difference. 

Yeah I watched it through the browser on Firestick and it was fine. Picture wasn't brilliant but it didn't buffer once.

Less said about the commentary the better.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Portsmouth hadn't conceded a single goal in their previous 5 games. Winning 4 out of the 5.

Did people really expect us to have it all our own way today..? 

The other thing is you see what a difference Mawson makes and he was rightly subbed on 65 so that he can play in the next far more important league game. If he stays fit and Holden plays Dave up top we will be fine, not great but fine. Palmer, Adelakun and Pring on the bench will also give us more than the likes of Towler, Pearson and Bell with respect to them lads.

Barely deserved win thanks to poor finishing from Portsmouth and good goalkeeping from Bentley.

Good first half, and well on top second half - up to the time of the subs....

Plus points;

Mawson back and looking good

Kalas on form

Bakinson on form

Nagy on form

Diedhiou looing good early on

Martin had a good game

Minus points;

Semenyo (especially first half) playing with his head down, no composure

Marriappa - we missed Hunt 

Adelakun was anonymous, but cut him some slack as he's effectively a newbie to the team - but he has to do more

The substitutions put us on the back foot, introduced panic at the back, loss of possession and territory, which in turn led to sloppy passes. The subs were just plain naive at a time we were well on top. That, for me, was the biggest minus point of the game.

Portsmouth deserved more from that game, but their finishing let them down. Ah well, thats how it goes and we sneak into the 4th round.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The other thing is you see what a difference Mawson makes and he was rightly subbed on 65 so that he can play in the next far more important league game. If he stays fit and Holden plays Dave up top we will be fine, not great but fine. Palmer, Adelakun and Pring on the bench will also give us more than the likes of Towler, Pearson and Bell with respect to them lads.

"Dave"?

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Looking for positives, at least we had the moments of quality today, even if they were few and far between! 

How about the fact that we didn’t keep dropping like a stone when the opposition (ie us) had possession
The number of times play was stopped for non head injuries and at one point when we were in procession and play called back it restarted with Portsmouth in possession! 

Just now, JonDolman said:

I actually thought Vyner helped change the game. He looked really good I thought in midfield.

Not a lot to go on, but Aberdeen fans seemed to like him in centre mid more than right back, and more than the one apparently awful game he had at centre back for them.

With Mawson back, Vyner in midfield is an option with our lack of options in midfield.

Yeah, I liked his midfield cameo today as well. The only time he had to defend, he missed a header that almost led to them equalising. Remove some of those defensive duties and he’s comfortable on the ball enough to play further forward. Whether he’s good enough to dislodge others if the squad ever gets fully fit, we don’t know. 

I thought we were absolutely fine until Mawson went off.........and then the substitutions seemed to disrupt us?   We still need a better presence in midfield, as we seem to get over run at times.  I thought Portsmouths goal was very fortunate/unlucky, as we had no problem with their attack until then, we did fade quite badly in the last half hour, but for all Portsmouths good approach play, they were not that great up front, and then a bit of class by  Martin won it for us.  Best three players on the pitch were Mawson, Kalas and Semenyo IMHO.  Would like Arsenal home in the 4th round please?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I actually thought Vyner helped change the game. He looked really good I thought in midfield.

Not a lot to go on, but Aberdeen fans seemed to like him in centre mid more than right back, and more than the one apparently awful game he had at centre back for them.

With Mawson back, Vyner in midfield is an option with our lack of options in midfield.

Vyner as a defensive midfielder has all the attributes, can tackle (how poor were we in the 50-50 challenges). Can pass, good in the air, pretty quick, gives a simple pass.

Archived