IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread

22 minutes ago, lenred said:

Looking for positives, at least we had the moments of quality today, even if they were few and far between! 

Yep - there were a few moments. A few!

When it works, the few glimpses of Holden’s plan A look decent.

The problem is, as has been for most the season now, when plan A is sniffed out, we have nothing else.

Add to that the fact that we have also succumbed in the majority of games to the opposition asserting their game on us in a way we’ve not done (bar a few 45 mins here and there) all season, the problem is made worse.

33 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Once Semenyo scores regularly his value is going to be huge 

Much as I rate him he just doesn’t seem to have the temperament or technique to be a regular scorer. Scares the hell out of defenders with his direct runs and power, but his decision making, to shoot or pass needs a lot of work.

Main positives for me:

- Mawson getting 65 mins under his belt. To make the top 6 we need him and Kalas playing together for the rest of the season.

- Fam playing 90 mins (given we were told he could only last 15/20 mins a couple of weeks ago - hope he is no longer carrying an injury)

- Bentley and Kalas still in good form

- We looked more threatening today especially in first half, plus a couple of great strikes for the goals 

- We’re in the next round! 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We can all look forward to the next round now perhaps a home tie v the Gas as they must have won against a demotivated team who haven’t won a match since last July ...

:laughcont:

Fake news. 

Their opponents haven't won a game since yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I thought we were absolutely fine until Mawson went off.........and then the substitutions seemed to disrupt us?   We still need a better presence in midfield, as we seem to get over run at times.  I thought Portsmouths goal was very fortunate/unlucky, as we had no problem with their attack until then, we did fade quite badly in the last half hour, but for all Portsmouths good approach play, they were not that great up front, and then a bit of class by  Martin won it for us.  Best three players on the pitch were Mawson, Kalas and Semenyo IMHO.  Would like Arsenal home in the 4th round please?

I didn’t think it was Mawson going off as much as Wells coming on which disrupted us.  We seemed to be playing 4-2-4 after that and we were too light in midfield.  I was crying out for Zak Vyner to be brought on in midfield, but in place of one of the strikers.  In fact I said to my son that they should have taken Martin off about 45 seconds before he scored!

Great to be in the 4th round.  Chorley at home, followed by Liverpool in the 5th round would do me.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I didn’t think it was Mawson going off as much as Wells coming on which disrupted us.  We seemed to be playing 4-2-4 after that and we were too light in midfield.  I was crying out for Zak Vyner to be brought on in midfield, but in place of one of the strikers.  In fact I said to my son that they should have taken Martin off about 45 seconds before he scored!

Great to be in the 4th round.  Chorley at home, followed by Liverpool in the 5th round would do me.

Sheff U and show the other lot how it's done. Round 5, Spurs or Marine

Play 2 in CM- even if Vyner is amongst them- vs Brentford and I fear a different story.

Adelakun and Semenyo- not sure if the former will start- did come inside, tuck in though- that can help.

21 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yep - there were a few moments. A few!

When it works, the few glimpses of Holden’s plan A look decent.

The problem is, as has been for most the season now, when plan A is sniffed out, we have nothing else.

Add to that the fact that we have also succumbed in the majority of games to the opposition asserting their game on us in a way we’ve not done (bar a few 45 mins here and there) all season, the problem is made worse.

Think it's a bit more than that tbh- early season we were quite good.

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd heard it from so many before the game that they could see us going out. So how isn't this a great result?

Well done, lads. Looking forward to the draws

It’s called having your cake and eating it. Bellyache we’ll lose before the game then do the same and claim we were lucky to win after.

Archived