IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wonder if we go with Vyner in midfield with Nagy and Bakinson to tighten up a bit midweek.

442 with Fam and Martin against Brentford? Not so sure about that.

With the 2 wide players we used today I'd be worried.

12 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

With our long injury list I don't think you can say we played our first XI.

?

Only really one player that you'd say wouldn't play in the League, and that's only probably wouldn't.

14 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Few thoughts - 

Great to see Mawson back, he’ll need to do 90min on weds against Brentford.

I will never understand why Holden (when chasing a game) insists on making sure all 4 strikers are on the pitch, as that pushes Wells wide and there’s zero creativity. 

Despite both scoring great goals, playing Fammy and Martin up top means too many high balls and game bypasses midfield.

As others have said, recent results are just papering over cracks. Pick a formation/style and put the right players in who can play that position

That drives me mad, usually we haven't created anything and we rarely have the kind of control just to throw strikers into the mix.

Wells is our best poacher, he's proved he can snatch a goal from a half chance, absolutely pointless not playing him down the middle. Preferably in the box !

Really not sure what to make of that today.  A very mixed performance, but despite the win, I don’t think it’s good enough.

I saw good things, I saw bad things.

The good:

• First half I thought we had a decent shape, I thought Adelakun drifted in from the left to give Rowe a bit of space.  Rowe then getting it had a passing option infield to Martin, who got more balls into feed in that period that the last 2 months!  Bakinson also got straight balls into the feet of Martin and Diedhiou because there was decent / fluid movement in front of them.
  • Semenyo did similar, drifting in from the right, and caused all manner of problems with his dribbling.  It gave Mariappa room to get forward, and you’d imagine Hunt might make more of the ball had he been there.
  • Martin and Diedhiou linked well.  Fam played right side and Martin left of the pair.  That’s unusual as Fam usually likes to drift left channel.  There was some good link up.
  • Mawson being back improved our possession and passing, even if not at full tempo.  Been a huge miss.
  • Kalas bring them ball into the right channel around the halfway line used runs from Mariappa and Bakinson to chip balls over the high-line Pompey defence.  It looked like the players knew what they were doing.

Pretty much all of that happened first half.  The first 15 minutes of the second half we looked comfortable and win a lot of poor Pompey clearances and were camped in their half, but the bad.....

• we give away so many easy passes.  The lack of care is unbelievable.  Even little passes that are successful but force the recipient to stretch are so frustrating.  We don’t pass the ball firmly, we underhit so many passes.
  • the lack of leadership to get a grip after the opposition have a spell of pressure.  We just given it straight back and invite more pressure.  It inevitably leads to us conceding chances
  • 50:50s, effin, grow some bollox.  The dangled legs happens all over the pitch, not just the central two today, although they were the biggest culprits.  If I’m an opponent who knows a City player will dangle a leg, then I can go into a tackle with no fear.
  • When we are under a bit of cosh, we don’t think to get into a solid shape, we become more gung-ho.  That to me is tantamount to hiding, looking for the ball over the top, rather than coming short and giving an easy option.  We make runs wide, away from the player in the ball giving him a harder pass.

Finally, first half we let a fair number of crosses in, but we kept a decent line, meaning Pompey players were getting headers 15 yards from goal.  I’m ok in the main with that.  As long as we don’t let runners get to flicks.  That requires discipline.  I’d prefer us to put more pressure on the crosser, but don’t do it if you then get exposed 1-on-1.

Finally, finally, I’ve held my counsel since Wednesday’s press interviews, when Semenyo said Pompey play long ball.  Admittedly I’ve only seen them a couple times on telly, and weekly Quest highlights, but for a team with the likes of Marcus Harness, Ryan Williams and (out today) Ronan Curtis, all I’ve seen is a team that can pass the ball pretty well, which is exactly what they did today.  Yes, of course they went back-to-front to Marquis several times, but no less than we went to Martin or Diedhiou.  And of the two teams, I’d say they passed it better than us overall.  If they are a long ball side the rest of the time, when I’ve not seen them, then they made a very successful switch to a passing team today.

I’d seriously question our “opposition analysis”.  It’s not the first time this season I’ve heard a player or member of coaching staff come out with a statement about the way our opponents play that 1) I’ve wholeheartedly disagreed with (albeit I’m of no consequence here in reality) but 2) seen the exact opposite from the opposition during the game.  That can’t be right can it?.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wonder if we go with Vyner in midfield with Nagy and Bakinson to tighten up a bit midweek.

442 with Fam and Martin against Brentford? Not so sure about that.

This is gonna be a topic that rages on this week ahead of Brentford.  Would be interested to know the rest of the team, and how you’d want them to play.  Time to start a “Team for Brentford” thread.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is gonna be a topic that rages on this week ahead of Brentford.  Would be interested to know the rest of the team, and how you’d want them to play.  Time to start a “Team for Brentford” thread.

Start the thread then Dave.

I thought we were two players short of a team today. Adelakun was a bystander for the most part, passing responsibility by not choosing to go forward, produced one decent cross and very little else, possibly could do with a run of games but, isn't going to get it on that showing. Mariappa being the other total waste of space. He was totally ineffective in stopping their equaliser both in the build up and cross, to the way he ambled back into the box, when with just a little desire he could and should have got back to protect the goal. When he did have an opportunity to put pressure on Portsmouth, he chose to stop, pass up responsibility and pass the ball sideways. On the odd occasion he had to cross the ball, he couldn't get it past the first man. He did find himself getting a nose bleed early in the 2nd half and did well when right on the goal line, as he couldn't go anywhere else. But apart from that, I thought he was weak all round.

Bakinson got tired and his possession and passing suffered as a result, gifting the ball to Pompey on a few occasions in dodgy positions. Be great when ha has the stamina and experience to really dominate play from midfield. Vyner was excellent when he came on and must be considered for a defensive midfield role, allowing Bakinson to be more attack minded.

I know we had to give Mawson a breather but, Moore to the LCB again? Did a couple of last ditch clearances but got dragged around falling over and that substitution along with Simenyeo to the left and Wells to the right completely gave the impetus to Pompey. Poor choices I thought.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really not sure what to make of that today.  A very mixed performance, but despite the win, I don’t think it’s good enough.

The good:

• First half I thought we had a decent shape, I thought Adelakun drifted in from the left to give Rowe a bit of space.  Rowe then getting it had a passing option infield to Martin, who got more balls into feed in that period that the last 2 months!  Bakinson also got straight balls into the feet of Martin and Diedhiou because there was decent / fluid movement in front of them.
  • Semenyo did similar, drifting in from the right, and caused all manner of problems with his dribbling.  It gave Mariappa room to get forward, and you’d imagine Hunt might make more of the ball had he been there.
  • Martin and Diedhiou linked well.  Fam played right side and Martin left of the pair.  That’s unusual as Fam usually likes to drift left channel.  There was some good link up.
  • Mawson being back improved our possession and passing, even if not at full tempo.  Been a huge miss.
  • Kalas bring them ball into the right channel around the halfway line used runs from Mariappa and Bakinson to chip balls over the high-line Pompey defence.  It looked like the players knew what they were doing.

Pretty much all of that happened first half.  The first 15 minutes of the second half we looked comfortable and win a lot of poor Pompey clearances and were camped in their half, but the bad.....

• we give away so many easy passes.  The lack of care is unbelievable.  Even little passes that are successful but force the recipient to stretch are so frustrating.  We don’t pass the ball firmly, we underhit so many passes.
  • the lack of leadership to get a grip after the opposition have a spell of pressure.  We just given it straight back and invite more pressure.  It inevitably leads to us conceding chances
  • 50:50s, effin, grow some bollox.  The dangled legs happens all over the pitch, not just the central two today, although they were the biggest culprits.  If I’m an opponent who knows a City player will dangle a leg, then I can go into a tackle with no fear.
  • When we are under a bit of cosh, we don’t think to get into a solid shape, we become more gung-ho.  That to me is tantamount to hiding, looking for the ball over the top, rather than coming short and giving an easy option.  We make runs wide, away from the player in the ball giving him a harder pass.

Finally, first half we let a fair number of crosses in, but we kept a decent line, meaning Pompey players were getting headers 15 yards from goal.  I’m ok in the main with that.  As long as we don’t let runners get to flicks.  That requires discipline.  I’d prefer us to put more pressure on the crosser, but don’t do it if you then get exposed 1-on-1.

Finally, finally, I’ve held my counsel since Wednesday’s press interviews, when Semenyo said Pompey play long ball.  Admittedly I’ve only seen them a couple times on telly, and weekly Quest highlights, but for a team with the likes of Marcus Harness, Ryan Williams and (out today) Ronan Curtis, all I’ve seen is a team that can pass the ball pretty well, which is exactly what they did today.  Yes, of course they went back-to-front to Marquis several times, but no less than we went to Martin or Diedhiou.  And of the two teams, I’d say they passed it better than us overall.  If they are a long ball side the rest of the time, when I’ve not seen them, then they made a very successful switch to a passing team today.

I’d seriously question our “opposition analysis”.  It’s not the first time this season I’ve heard a player or member of coaching staff come out with a statement about the way our opponents play that 1) I’ve wholeheartedly disagreed with (albeit I’m of no consequence here in reality) but 2) seen the exact opposite from the opposition during the game.  That can’t be right can it?.

Spot on, as for the 50:50 challenges there were several today that were 80:20 in our favour and still we didn’t come away with the ball!

1 hour ago, Banjo Red said:

Nope  beating a league one team just, isn't reason to be cheerful.

Think how the Leeds fans feel then, cup competitions can be great levellers Portsmouth are flying in league 1 whereas we are not exactly pulling up trees at the moment, don't know how the bookies saw it but I bet the odds were similar for both teams.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

He was playing in midfield (sorry to dampen any enthusiasm!) 

What are going on about?

HE JOINED THE ATTACK.

11 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Nice to be into the next round, 2 very well taken goals and even Semenyo managed a shot on target!

BUT play like we did second half against Brentford and we will be hit for 6.

Ashton OUT, Holden OUT

Same old......źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The good:

Spot on again Dave.

First hour we were good / ok. Last half hour was pretty shocking and we could easily have conceded a couple of goals.

For a good 20 minute spell in the second half every time we played the ball forward from just inside their half it failed to reach its target and they broke on us. We were so careless of keeping the ball. Even sinple passes were failing to reach their target.

Also we are so ponderous in our build up we allow sides to easily get back into shape. When Pompey attacked us they did so with purpose and pace with runners into our box.

I'm no Palmer fan but during the poor spell of passing he was exactly the type of player we needed to try and keep some decent possession.

Surely Wednesday with Mawson back we have to revert to 352 / 532 Bakinso / Nagy holding midfield with Massengo just ahead of them (thought he was decent when he came on).

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Spot on again Dave.

First hour we were good / ok. Last half hour was pretty shocking and we could easily have conceded a couple of goals.

For a good 20 minute spell in the second half every time we played the ball forward from just inside their half it failed to reach its target and they broke on us. We were so careless of keeping the ball. Even sinple passes were failing to reach their target.

Also we are so ponderous in our build up we allow sides to easily get back into shape. When Pompey attacked us they did so with purpose and pace with runners into our box.

I'm no Palmer fan but during the poor spell of passing he was exactly the type of player we needed to try and keep some decent possession.

Surely Wednesday with Mawson back we have to revert to 352 / 532 Bakinso / Nagy holding midfield with Massengo just ahead of them (thought he was decent when he came on).

Has to be 3-5-2 and I’d be inclined to play Pring as LWB and move Rowe into Centre Mid. I’m really struggling with Bakinson who frustrates me so much as good 1 minute and sluggish/careless the next.  2nd half was a complete liability and has been poor for weeks.

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

5th round??

Nope 6th round.  There is about a 1 in 8 chance that City could be in a set of teams not containing a PL team in the 4th and 5th round draws, and about a 2% chance that the set will only contain teams below City in the league.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The good:

Davefevs....can you please, please, please..get yourself a job with the management and coaching team at our club ??

27 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Spot on again Dave.

If we were ‘pretty shocking’ for the last half hour, then we did very well not to concede in that period. Fact is we had a 20 minute spell when we were second best, but then we pulled ourself together for the last 15 minutes and got the winner.  Very few sides control matches for 90 minutes and you’ve got to give credit to any decent opposition who are bound to have spells in the games when they do well.  The important thing is not to concede when you’re on the back foot and that’s exactly what happened today.  Mawson looked a real asset, and Mariappa had his best game for us.  If a few more players return from injury there we have the prospect of a very decent second half to the season.  If we lose to Brentford, it won’t be the end of the world.

15 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Has to be 3-5-2 and I’d be inclined to play Pring as LWB and move Rowe into Centre Mid. I’m really struggling with Bakinson who frustrates me so much as good 1 minute and sluggish/careless the next.  2nd half was a complete liability and has been poor for weeks.

I would be to Shuffs.  I still think there are problems with the pairing of Nagy and Bakinson alongside each other.  I don’t see any leadership in there, there’s nobody dictating / ordering what they want the other to do.

Whatever you think of Morrell, he’s an organiser, he’s directing what happens alongside and in front of him.

Therefore the two lack discipline, because neither are capable of giving instruction, and therefore don’t receive instruction either.  Our lack of shape at times is criminal.  The stupid thing is Nagy can play as the deep central midfield very well for Hungary, so despite his lack of appetite to make a tackle I’d probably make him my first choice.  But you’re then faced with difficult choices of who else to play in there.

I worry about Rowe in midfield, but could I see him in a 3 with Nagy as the holder, Rowe left, and Palmer right?  Possibly.  But you’d need Hunt at RWB to be talking him through, and is Rowe able to talk Pring through and concentrate on his own game having not played in midfield for a year?  I guess Mawson does that?

Theres a big part of me that says whatever team I pick and system, I see huge flaws!  How can that be?

Need to ponder some more!

It wasn't great today but we've been worse and we are through. The hard truth is that Portsmouth are a top League 1 side and we are a very mediocre Championship side so there was never going to be much in it.

A couple frustrating things for me, and they are not limited to todays performance:

1. It's been mentioned by a couple people already but just the complete lack of concentration and taking care in possession. Even from kids football you are coached to "look after the ball". What the hell is wrong with our professional players? It's absolutely infuriating! Even straight forward passes stop our attacks dead because the receiver has to either stop and wait for it, or go back and get it because it's been played behind him. Play it in front of them FFS!!! They shouldn't have to break stride. It's absolutely shocking. 

2. The pedestrian nature of our play. Is this a deliberate tactic? Do we like to make it harder for ourselves and give the opposition a chance to get into shape? Why can't we do anything at any kind of intensity? Everything is slow from the pace of the pass to the movement (haha) into space. It's laborious and it's easy to defend against. 

Positives were Bentley (as usual), Mawson getting back on the pitch, and although he's had some stick, Semenyo had a decent game I thought. At least he has the guts to have ago and try and make something happen. Oh and Vyner. I'd be very tempted to look at him as an option in Midfield now Mawson is back.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would be to Shuffs.  I still think there are problems with the pairing of Nagy and Bakinson alongside each other.  I don’t see any leadership in there, there’s nobody dictating / ordering what they want the other to do.

Whatever you think of Morrell, he’s an organiser, he’s directing what happens alongside and in front of him.

Therefore the two lack discipline, because neither are capable of giving instruction, and therefore don’t receive instruction either.  Our lack of shape at times is criminal.  The stupid thing is Nagy can play as the deep central midfield very well for Hungary, so despite his lack of appetite to make a tackle I’d probably make him my first choice.  But you’re then faced with difficult choices of who else to play in there.

I worry about Rowe in midfield, but could I see him in a 3 with Nagy as the holder, Rowe left, and Palmer right?  Possibly.  But you’d need Hunt at RWB to be talking him through, and is Rowe able to talk Pring through and concentrate on his own game having not played in midfield for a year?  I guess Mawson does that?

Theres a big part of me that says whatever team I pick and system, I see huge flaws!  How can that be?

Need to ponder some more!

@Davefevs

Hit nail on head above. We have a team of non leaders, a majority of whom do not want to lead, bully whatever you call it. 

Even Kalas, our captain, is not a leader. Today he just played his own game because alongside were Mariappa and Mawson to do the organising. He looked far better and comfortable than the last four months.

In the rest of the field, we have a collection of individuals, not a team at all. You are correct about Bakinson and Nagy doing their own thing. The seniority should sit with Nagy but there appears to be little contact between them. (Difficult to monitor on tv instead of live in a stadium. And the front players seem to be the same. Famara, Wells, Martin and Semenyo are a group of individuals without cohesion in or out of the box.

If twenty two Bristol rugby players can have at least a dozen dominant males to keep the pressure on, yet we have a match day squad of twenty who couldn't lead children to the sweet shop.

Is this the true legacy of LJ's time here? And when will Holden start proving himself any different?

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

10 days, I think. Will depend when he did test positive I suppose.

10 days I ended up doing 6 after 2 Christmas guests tested positive but its 10 days from contact fortunately had picked up the weekly shop 3 hours before nhs wales rang and was free by the next shop. 

We are just not very good atm, lacking leadership on and off the pitch. We seem to be just going through the motions, which is fine as most are just passing through, they dont care about our club. I see no team spirit/desire at all.

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Davefevs

Hit nail on head above. We have a team of non leaders, a majority of whom do not want to lead, bully whatever you call it. 

Even Kalas, our captain, is not a leader. Today he just played his own game because alongside were Mariappa and Mawson to do the organising. He looked far better and comfortable than the last four months.

In the rest of the field, we have a collection of individuals, not a team at all. You are correct about Bakinson and Nagy doing their own thing. The seniority should sit with Nagy but there appears to be little contact between them. (Difficult to monitor on tv instead of live in a stadium. And the front players seem to be the same. Famara, Wells, Martin and Semenyo are a group of individuals without cohesion in or out of the box.

If twenty two Bristol rugby players can have at least a dozen dominant males to keep the pressure on, yet we have a match day squad of twenty who couldn't lead children to the sweet shop.

Is this the true legacy of LJ's time here? And when will Holden start proving himself any different?

The number of times Williams or Harness ran off the shoulder of either them was shocking.  I can only imagine the communication is severely lacking.  Same at Rotherham.  They both need a rocket.  Nagy has close on 50 caps....it’s Bakinson’s first real season.

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Oh and Vyner. I'd be very tempted to look at him as an option in Midfield now Mawson is back.

I agree was really surprised - but then I assume Portsmouth were tiring by then and also pushing up so much more room.

I remember when we played Webster in midfield against West Brom and he looked incredible, then in the next match just ordinary.

I think it's much harder to move into midfield from defence and be consistent in the Championship.

Archived