IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The number of times Williams or Harness ran off the shoulder of either them was shocking.  I can only imagine the communication is severely lacking.  Same at Rotherham.  They both need a rocket.  Nagy has close on 50 caps....it’s Bakinson’s first real season.

Nagy doesn't appear to have any problem in organising those around him in his national team. 

In terms of getting a message across, the only voices I can hear is Bentley with his "OUT. AWAY", and its either Simpson or Downing (not sure which) but today I heard one of them shout "F*****G TACKLE" I think at Diedhiou and Adelakun when a Pompey player came away with the ball after tangling with them both. I'm pretty sure Holden et al are aware of the lack of leaders and the wussy tackling. Wasn't Brunt supposed to improve the team in that respect - obviously that didn't happen.

29 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I agree was really surprised - but then I assume Portsmouth were tiring by then and also pushing up so much more room.

I remember when we played Webster in midfield against West Brom and he looked incredible, then in the next match just ordinary.

I think it's much harder to move into midfield from defence and be consistent in the Championship.

Yeah hard to tell, and would be a big ask I agree. Think he did play quite a few games in that position for Aberdeen mind so it wouldn’t be new to him and just gives us an extra option I suppose. 

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Can’t believe the commentator thinks Club Brugge is pronounced “Club Brugger”

That is interesting, as this is very close to the correct pronounciation - being a Flemish town, the 'gg' is pronounced rather like a soft gutteral 'gh', think 'cough', and, of course, being Flemish the last letter would be pronounced, just it would be in native Dutch or German.

When I first visited the beautiful 'Venice of the North' many tears ago, I was advised that the best English approximation, given our difficulties with the gutteral 'gh', would be to think of the familiar term for Rugby (rugger), preceded with a B and a hard 'U'.  

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really not sure what to make of that today.  A very mixed performance, but despite the win, I don’t think it’s good enough.

I saw good things, I saw bad things.

The good:

• First half I thought we had a decent shape, I thought Adelakun drifted in from the left to give Rowe a bit of space.  Rowe then getting it had a passing option infield to Martin, who got more balls into feed in that period that the last 2 months!  Bakinson also got straight balls into the feet of Martin and Diedhiou because there was decent / fluid movement in front of them.
  • Semenyo did similar, drifting in from the right, and caused all manner of problems with his dribbling.  It gave Mariappa room to get forward, and you’d imagine Hunt might make more of the ball had he been there.
  • Martin and Diedhiou linked well.  Fam played right side and Martin left of the pair.  That’s unusual as Fam usually likes to drift left channel.  There was some good link up.
  • Mawson being back improved our possession and passing, even if not at full tempo.  Been a huge miss.
  • Kalas bring them ball into the right channel around the halfway line used runs from Mariappa and Bakinson to chip balls over the high-line Pompey defence.  It looked like the players knew what they were doing.

Pretty much all of that happened first half.  The first 15 minutes of the second half we looked comfortable and win a lot of poor Pompey clearances and were camped in their half, but the bad.....

• we give away so many easy passes.  The lack of care is unbelievable.  Even little passes that are successful but force the recipient to stretch are so frustrating.  We don’t pass the ball firmly, we underhit so many passes.
  • the lack of leadership to get a grip after the opposition have a spell of pressure.  We just given it straight back and invite more pressure.  It inevitably leads to us conceding chances
  • 50:50s, effin, grow some bollox.  The dangled legs happens all over the pitch, not just the central two today, although they were the biggest culprits.  If I’m an opponent who knows a City player will dangle a leg, then I can go into a tackle with no fear.
  • When we are under a bit of cosh, we don’t think to get into a solid shape, we become more gung-ho.  That to me is tantamount to hiding, looking for the ball over the top, rather than coming short and giving an easy option.  We make runs wide, away from the player in the ball giving him a harder pass.

Finally, first half we let a fair number of crosses in, but we kept a decent line, meaning Pompey players were getting headers 15 yards from goal.  I’m ok in the main with that.  As long as we don’t let runners get to flicks.  That requires discipline.  I’d prefer us to put more pressure on the crosser, but don’t do it if you then get exposed 1-on-1.

Finally, finally, I’ve held my counsel since Wednesday’s press interviews, when Semenyo said Pompey play long ball.  Admittedly I’ve only seen them a couple times on telly, and weekly Quest highlights, but for a team with the likes of Marcus Harness, Ryan Williams and (out today) Ronan Curtis, all I’ve seen is a team that can pass the ball pretty well, which is exactly what they did today.  Yes, of course they went back-to-front to Marquis several times, but no less than we went to Martin or Diedhiou.  And of the two teams, I’d say they passed it better than us overall.  If they are a long ball side the rest of the time, when I’ve not seen them, then they made a very successful switch to a passing team today.

I’d seriously question our “opposition analysis”.  It’s not the first time this season I’ve heard a player or member of coaching staff come out with a statement about the way our opponents play that 1) I’ve wholeheartedly disagreed with (albeit I’m of no consequence here in reality) but 2) seen the exact opposite from the opposition during the game.  That can’t be right can it?.

We've resembled a top six League 1 side in recent weeks. That's only a good thing if you're in League 1 though...!

13 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Only watched snippets but from what I saw we were crap.

Your post  knows nothing about football other than watching Prem sides or playing it on a video game. 

How many times has that side played together ?

How many first teamers are out injured? 

We know Pompey are from the league below but they are unbeaten in something like eleven games in it and kept numerous clean sheets. 

They are a very good side, with no injuries and are used to each other’s game.

This was a match that the higher placed teams often lose and especially a promotion chaser against a side in poor form.

We won and have something to build on. 

Your post is an ass. 

Portsmouth looked a really decent team for league one to be fair. Although think a championship team would have taken at least one of their chances in the second half. 

I actually thought Martin was poor other than his very well taken goal. Slowed down our attacks and gave the ball away a lot.

We looked fairly solid defensively until Mawson went off. Bentley quality again. 

Bringing on Wells right midfield was a very bizarre decision. Lost our shape and Wells is definitely not a right midfielder. 

Semenyo was decent but needs to stay wide more for me when he's playing on the wing. 

Overall feel a lot of our problems seem to be tactically and poor substitutions if I'm honest. 

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That is interesting, as this is very close to the correct pronounciation - being a Flemish town, the 'gg' is pronounced rather like a soft gutteral 'gh', think 'cough', and, of course, being Flemish the last letter would be pronounced, just it would be in native Dutch or German.

When I first visited the beautiful 'Venice of the North' many tears ago, I was advised that the best English approximation, given our difficulties with the gutteral 'gh', would be to think of the familiar term for Rugby (rugger), preceded with a B and a hard 'U'.  

How very interesting!

However, I’m not convinced the commentator who struggled to pronounce most of our player’s names knew this ?

If Semenyo can find his shooting boots, he has the potential to be a real player for us. Easily our most creative player at the moment, just completely lacks the finishing aspect but I'm hoping that'll come soon. 

Bentley is arguably my first name on the team sheet at the moment. 

Not thrilled or disappointed with the game, some sloppy play but also some bright parts and Portsmouth aren't a bad team so job done in my eyes.

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Ahh yeah. Don't know how long that lasts? I assume past Brentford game

It's whether he's symptomatic that's the issue.

My teenage daughter tested positive, had a sore throat for a day and was then fine.

I caught it off her, was desperately ill for ten days and am still suffering two weeks later.

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

actually thought Martin was poor other than his very well taken goal. Slowed down our attacks and gave the ball away a lot.

I thought he was sharp.

He took his marker away to make the space for Famaral’s goal. 

Adelakun got the assist but Martin was equally implicit.

Not to mention his goal and two other attempts.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Your post  knows nothing about football other than watching Prem sides or playing it on a video game. 

How many times has that side played together ?

How many first teamers are out injured? 

We know Pompey are from the league below but they are unbeaten in something like eleven games in it and kept numerous clean sheets. 

They are a very good side, with no injuries and are used to each other’s game.

This was a match that the higher placed teams often lose and especially a promotion chaser against a side in poor form.

We won and have something to build on. 

Your post is an ass. 

What a valuable insight.

On 10/01/2021 at 20:33, Kibs said:

It wasn't great today but we've been worse and we are through. The hard truth is that Portsmouth are a top League 1 side and we are a very mediocre Championship side so there was never going to be much in it.

A couple frustrating things for me, and they are not limited to todays performance:

1. It's been mentioned by a couple people already but just the complete lack of concentration and taking care in possession. Even from kids football you are coached to "look after the ball". What the hell is wrong with our professional players? It's absolutely infuriating! Even straight forward passes stop our attacks dead because the receiver has to either stop and wait for it, or go back and get it because it's been played behind him. Play it in front of them FFS!!! They shouldn't have to break stride. It's absolutely shocking. 

2. The pedestrian nature of our play. Is this a deliberate tactic? Do we like to make it harder for ourselves and give the opposition a chance to get into shape? Why can't we do anything at any kind of intensity? Everything is slow from the pace of the pass to the movement (haha) into space. It's laborious and it's easy to defend against. 

Positives were Bentley (as usual), Mawson getting back on the pitch, and although he's had some stick, Semenyo had a decent game I thought. At least he has the guts to have ago and try and make something happen. Oh and Vyner. I'd be very tempted to look at him as an option in Midfield now Mawson is back.

Just looked at the highlights, we had seven back ‘marking’ three of their players in the attack that led to the equaliser. Trouble was none of them marked or tackled anybody.

23 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It's whether he's symptomatic that's the issue.

My teenage daughter tested positive, had a sore throat for a day and was then fine.

I caught it off her, was desperately ill for ten days and am still suffering two weeks later.

I was ill for two weeks, had no taste or smell for a month. It wasn't particularly pleasant for me however Housemate only noticed taste/smell loss and was otherwise fine.

Archived