IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

So how many should we have put past a team unbeaten in 10 and with 5 consecutive clean sheets to their name? 7, 13, more even?

They aren't unbeaten in 10. They're unbeaten in 5, one of those to a L2 opponent, the others to L1 opponents.

I'm not unhappy we won. But winning is what we should do against lower league opposition. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They aren't unbeaten in 10. They're unbeaten in 5, one of those to a L2 opponent, the others to L1 opponents.

I'm not unhappy we won. But winning is what we should do against lower league opposition. 

I think most people would agree that the most potentially dangerous match in the FA Cup is to play a team challenging at the top of the division below yours, and in Portsmouth we had a team who had fairly recently won the cup and had a point to prove as they try to climb back up the divisions.  Its hard to imagine a match that was more likely to create an upset, but the fact is we maintained our composure, controlled the game with some nice football for long periods, and scored two top class goals.  I rate that as a very good performance.

This was a difficult tie, with our form being at the bottom of the division and Pomey at the top of L1 their is little between us. Thought we looked ok until the subs considering Mawson 1st game back from injury and Adeluken 1st game in this side. Their goal came from a terrible bit or reffering although we should have done better with it. 

2 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

If only football in reality was like that...ask Leeds?

We played our First XI, Leeds didn't.

Excuse me if I don't cream myself every time we snatch a late winner against the run of play against lower league opponents who had more shots on goal than us.

Play like that second half against Brentford and they'll destroy us.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think most people would agree that the most potentially dangerous match in the FA Cup is to play a team challenging at the top of the division below yours, and in Portsmouth we had a team who had fairly recently won the cup and had a point to prove as they try to climb back up the divisions.  Its hard to imagine a match that was more likely to create an upset, but the fact is we maintained our composure, controlled the game with some nice football for long periods, and scored two top class goals.  I rate that as a very good performance.

Think we were typing the same point at the same time

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

image.gif.7eda88d11816c9ccf3da17f68d7a8bd8.gif

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

NderI actually thought Vyner helped change the game. He looked really good I thought in midfield.

Not a lot to go on, but Aberdeen fans seemed to like him in centre mid more than right back, and more than the one apparently awful game he had at centre back for them.

With Mawson back, Vyner in midfield is an option with our lack of options in midfield.

That was the best centre midfield performance we’ve had in weeks, and it came from Vyner. He was only on for a short while too. Pleasing.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We played our First XI, Leeds didn't.

Excuse me if I don't cream myself every time we snatch a late winner against the run of play against lower league opponents who had more shots on goal than us.

Play like that second half against Brentford and they'll destroy us.

We played within ourselves, its the FA cup, with so many injuries no more injuries needed. It was never going to be an easy fixture...games last 90 minutes, not sure what your gripe is really, neither do you I reckon.

22 minutes ago, Street red said:

Martin's first touch has gone down hill what's happened to the bloke he doesn't look sharp either,Praise him for a good finish for the goal just overall he doesn't look the player that signed.

We overplay him- I read on the Derby forum that he has some kind of health issue or similar, dunno how accurate- but players over 30 especially strikers, need to be well managed.

Found this post a little while ago, this could give a clue of how to manage him moving forward, injuries permitting.

Chris has colitis. Under Cocu, his illness, which can be quite debilitating, was well managed. He was used sparingly and as often as not, he played pretty well. Chris chose to leave Derby and went to a club who clearly don't realise that he can't play every game in a normal season, let alone one that is as compressed as this one. Presumably they offered him what we didn't so now he has to make the best of it.

Again, first I've read of it but if so...that Derby fan has it spot on.

In a normal season, let alone one like this- add in that he is over 30, you will not get the best if you start him week in week out surely.

Or maybe not get the best isn't quite right but his impact will gradually diminish. Playing him into the ground does not seem a great plan, especially in a season so compressed as the back end of last and this in general.

7 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

We played within ourselves, its the FA cup, with so many injuries no more injuries needed. It was never going to be an easy fixture...games last 90 minutes, not sure what your gripe is really, neither do you I reckon.

My point is that it wasn't - to quote one of your fellow happy clappers - "a great performance".

We continued to look poor and disorganised for much of the game. 

I'm happy we got a result and weren't embarrassed,  but I'm not going to acclaim it as good, just because it could've been worse.

We haven't looked convincing for months. 

We still don't. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We overplay him- I read on the Derby forum that he has some kind of health issue or similar, dunno how accurate- but players over 30 especially strikers, need to be well managed.

Found this post a little while ago, this could give a clue of how to manage him moving forward, injuries permitting.

Again, first I've read of it but if so...that Derby fan has it spot on.

In a normal season, let alone one like this- add in that he is over 30, you will not get the best if you start him week in week out surely.

Or mayhe not get the best isn't quite right but his impact will gradually diminish. Playing him into the ground does not seem a great plan, especially in a season so compressed as the back end of last and this in general.

Again why are we signing these players what benefits us in that respect this clubs just lost the plot!! ?

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Again why are we signing these players what benefits us in that respect this clubs just lost the plot!! ?

I think he has been decent, personally- he was good for Derby last year and even if not prolific for us, he has been a good focal point and provided a number of assists.

Still unsure we're the best at managing workloads though- talking specifically about Martin, sounds like Cocu was pretty good at it for them last season- here, not so much?

Vyner joining in the attack! Not something we have seen since Webster and Flint moved on! Best part of 2 seasons since we played a formation where the ball actually got forward that quickly - was exciting back then and even more so now after a dismal boring run of displays - now all we need is Wells remembering how to control the ball and work with the forwards.

4 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Vyner joining in the attack! Not something we have seen since Webster and Flint moved on! Best part of 2 seasons since we played a formation where the ball actually got forward that quickly - was exciting back then and even more so now after a dismal boring run of displays - now all we need is Wells remembering how to control the ball and work with the forwards.

He was playing in midfield (sorry to dampen any enthusiasm!) 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think he has been decent, personally- he was good for Derby last year and even if not prolific for us, he has been a good focal point and provided a number of assists.

Still unsure we're the best at managing workloads though- talking specifically about Martin, sounds like Cocu was pretty good at it for them last season- here, not so much?

I'm not slagging the bloke your right he has been decent a good player a good striker but today he just didn't look great at all,Not the player we seen at the start of the season he looked fit sharp his movement and touch looked first class,Think it seems to be a club thing when it comes down to workload for players.

4 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Far from it pal great result but just beating a league one team isn't much to shout about.

When Brentford played Spurs the other day on TV, the commentator said that they had 2 players unavailable. Now go and check out the list of OUR missing players.

Excellent result. We're in the next round.

Few thoughts - 

Great to see Mawson back, he’ll need to do 90min on weds against Brentford.

I will never understand why Holden (when chasing a game) insists on making sure all 4 strikers are on the pitch, as that pushes Wells wide and there’s zero creativity. 

Despite both scoring great goals, playing Fammy and Martin up top means too many high balls and game bypasses midfield.

As others have said, recent results are just papering over cracks. Pick a formation/style and put the right players in who can play that position

27 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wonder if we go with Vyner in midfield with Nagy and Bakinson to tighten up a bit midweek.

442 with Fam and Martin against Brentford? Not so sure about that.

We'd get outnumbered in midfield- given Martin and carrying a possible medical condition, unsure about that- if the wide men tuck in, Brentford can hit us 2 vs 1 in wide areas- but definitely the midfield would be an issue us going with that, away at Brentford.

IF we were prepared to play a purely counterattacking game then maybe. Likewise if we were prepared to cede the ball but aim for shot dominance- but anything else and 4-4-2 would cause us issues.

Archived