Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Portsmouth (H) - FA CUP R3 - 13:30 Sun 10th January - Matchday thread


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd heard it from so many before the game that they could see us going out. So how isn't this a great result?

Well done, lads. Looking forward to the draws

It’s called having your cake and eating it. Bellyache we’ll lose before the game then do the same and claim we were lucky to win after.

  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, red84 said:

Cheer up you miserable lot, was a decent performance up until the subs! Great strike from Martin to win it! Keep the same team for Wednesday!

 You realise that Portsmouth are in L1?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

So how many should we have put past a team unbeaten in 10 and with 5 consecutive clean sheets to their name? 7, 13, more even?

Momentum. Is. Everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Momentum. Is. Everything.

It does help, no doubt about that. If we had Portsmouths recent record going into a game at, say, Brighton we would be thinking, as fans, there might be a positive result on the cards.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

So how many should we have put past a team unbeaten in 10 and with 5 consecutive clean sheets to their name? 7, 13, more even?

They aren't unbeaten in 10. They're unbeaten in 5, one of those to a L2 opponent, the others to L1 opponents.

I'm not unhappy we won. But winning is what we should do against lower league opposition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

A win boosts confidence ahead of Wednesday night v Brentford. We have a good record there so let’s hope it continues. Always believe. 

City had a decent enough record at Griffin Park............:cool2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They aren't unbeaten in 10. They're unbeaten in 5, one of those to a L2 opponent, the others to L1 opponents.

I'm not unhappy we won. But winning is what we should do against lower league opposition. 

If only football in reality was like that...ask Leeds?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They aren't unbeaten in 10. They're unbeaten in 5, one of those to a L2 opponent, the others to L1 opponents.

I'm not unhappy we won. But winning is what we should do against lower league opposition. 

I think most people would agree that the most potentially dangerous match in the FA Cup is to play a team challenging at the top of the division below yours, and in Portsmouth we had a team who had fairly recently won the cup and had a point to prove as they try to climb back up the divisions.  Its hard to imagine a match that was more likely to create an upset, but the fact is we maintained our composure, controlled the game with some nice football for long periods, and scored two top class goals.  I rate that as a very good performance.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a difficult tie, with our form being at the bottom of the division and Pomey at the top of L1 their is little between us. Thought we looked ok until the subs considering Mawson 1st game back from injury and Adeluken 1st game in this side. Their goal came from a terrible bit or reffering although we should have done better with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

If only football in reality was like that...ask Leeds?

We played our First XI, Leeds didn't.

Excuse me if I don't cream myself every time we snatch a late winner against the run of play against lower league opponents who had more shots on goal than us.

Play like that second half against Brentford and they'll destroy us.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think most people would agree that the most potentially dangerous match in the FA Cup is to play a team challenging at the top of the division below yours, and in Portsmouth we had a team who had fairly recently won the cup and had a point to prove as they try to climb back up the divisions.  Its hard to imagine a match that was more likely to create an upset, but the fact is we maintained our composure, controlled the game with some nice football for long periods, and scored two top class goals.  I rate that as a very good performance.

Think we were typing the same point at the same time

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think most people would agree that the most potentially dangerous match in the FA Cup is to play a team challenging at the top of the division below yours, and in Portsmouth we had a team who had fairly recently won the cup and had a point to prove as they try to climb back up the divisions.  Its hard to imagine a match that was more likely to create an upset, but the fact is we maintained our composure, controlled the game with some nice football for long periods, and scored two top class goals.  I rate that as a very good performance.

image.gif.7eda88d11816c9ccf3da17f68d7a8bd8.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Not entirely unexpected

Martin's first touch has gone down hill what's happened to the bloke he doesn't look sharp either,Praise him for a good finish for the goal just overall he doesn't look the player that signed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

NderI actually thought Vyner helped change the game. He looked really good I thought in midfield.

Not a lot to go on, but Aberdeen fans seemed to like him in centre mid more than right back, and more than the one apparently awful game he had at centre back for them.

With Mawson back, Vyner in midfield is an option with our lack of options in midfield.

That was the best centre midfield performance we’ve had in weeks, and it came from Vyner. He was only on for a short while too. Pleasing.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We played our First XI, Leeds didn't.

Excuse me if I don't cream myself every time we snatch a late winner against the run of play against lower league opponents who had more shots on goal than us.

Play like that second half against Brentford and they'll destroy us.

We played within ourselves, its the FA cup, with so many injuries no more injuries needed. It was never going to be an easy fixture...games last 90 minutes, not sure what your gripe is really, neither do you I reckon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Street red said:

Martin's first touch has gone down hill what's happened to the bloke he doesn't look sharp either,Praise him for a good finish for the goal just overall he doesn't look the player that signed.

He joined City :laugh:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Street red said:

Martin's first touch has gone down hill what's happened to the bloke he doesn't look sharp either,Praise him for a good finish for the goal just overall he doesn't look the player that signed.

We overplay him- I read on the Derby forum that he has some kind of health issue or similar, dunno how accurate- but players over 30 especially strikers, need to be well managed.

Found this post a little while ago, this could give a clue of how to manage him moving forward, injuries permitting.

Quote

Chris has colitis. Under Cocu, his illness, which can be quite debilitating, was well managed. He was used sparingly and as often as not, he played pretty well. Chris chose to leave Derby and went to a club who clearly don't realise that he can't play every game in a normal season, let alone one that is as compressed as this one. Presumably they offered him what we didn't so now he has to make the best of it.

Again, first I've read of it but if so...that Derby fan has it spot on.

In a normal season, let alone one like this- add in that he is over 30, you will not get the best if you start him week in week out surely.

Or maybe not get the best isn't quite right but his impact will gradually diminish. Playing him into the ground does not seem a great plan, especially in a season so compressed as the back end of last and this in general.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

We played within ourselves, its the FA cup, with so many injuries no more injuries needed. It was never going to be an easy fixture...games last 90 minutes, not sure what your gripe is really, neither do you I reckon.

 

My point is that it wasn't - to quote one of your fellow happy clappers - "a great performance".

We continued to look poor and disorganised for much of the game. 

I'm happy we got a result and weren't embarrassed,  but I'm not going to acclaim it as good, just because it could've been worse.

We haven't looked convincing for months. 

We still don't. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We overplay him- I read on the Derby forum that he has some kind of health issue or similar, dunno how accurate- but players over 30 especially strikers, need to be well managed.

Found this post a little while ago, this could give a clue of how to manage him moving forward, injuries permitting.

Again, first I've read of it but if so...that Derby fan has it spot on.

In a normal season, let alone one like this- add in that he is over 30, you will not get the best if you start him week in week out surely.

Or mayhe not get the best isn't quite right but his impact will gradually diminish. Playing him into the ground does not seem a great plan, especially in a season so compressed as the back end of last and this in general.

Again why are we signing these players what benefits us in that respect this clubs just lost the plot!! 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Street red said:

Again why are we signing these players what benefits us in that respect this clubs just lost the plot!! 🤔

I think he has been decent, personally- he was good for Derby last year and even if not prolific for us, he has been a good focal point and provided a number of assists.

Still unsure we're the best at managing workloads though- talking specifically about Martin, sounds like Cocu was pretty good at it for them last season- here, not so much?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...