IGNORED

RIP Bobby Kellard

BigTone

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We bought him from Leicester and sold him to Pompey.  Whilst he was only with us for 3 years he was one of my favourites at the time.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  RIP Bobby.

Leicester bought Bobby from us didn’t they? One reason I’ve always hated them as a club!

Continued to follow his career after he left us, one of my favourites! Think he lived in Clevedon whilst with us.

RIP

• Like 2

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

Leicester bought Bobby from us didn’t they? One reason I’ve always hated them as a club!

Continued to follow his career after he left us, one of my favourites! Think he lived in Clevedon whilst with us.

RIP

Ah yes, I got it the wrong way round. We signed him from Pirtsmouth and Sold him to Leicester.  T'was a long time ago for my memory.  Still an excellent midfielder though.

9 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Bobby Kellard was a tough player who feared no-one and gave 100%

RIP Bobby.

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Loved the little bloke. He started poorly as he was a replacement for fan favorite Johnny Quigley, but we suddenly realised what a great, tough little player he was. RIP Bobby 

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

R.i.p Bobby goes down as one of our great midfielders along with Quigley Gow shelton great tackler bulldog of a player.

Johnny Quigley, Bobby Kellard and Gerry Gow; all great, tough midfielders from my youth and, sadly, all now departed.

Whilst I never had the privilege of meeting the late Gerry Gow, I had the dubious pleasure of meeting Johnny Quigley and, indeed, played in the same team as him for one season - he would have been in his mid/late 40s at the time, and I can confirm he was an extremely hard b*stard, both on and off the pitch.

Once (in drink) he threatened to punch me/knock me out when I had the temerity to suggest that, alongside Bobby Kellard and Gerry Gow, he was one of my favourite City midfielders - he dismissed Bobby Kellard as a fat Cockney b*stard and, whilst they were both Glaswegians, he dismissed Gerry Gow as not being as good or as hard as he thought he was and that he wouldn't have lasted two minutes against him were they ever to have played against each other.  

Bobby Kellard, in contrast, I found quite warm and softly spoken, though he certainly had a very strong 'cockney' accent.

I had occasion to meet him on several occasions professionally when he became an antique dealer after retiring and he was always very welcoming and happy to chat about football and life in general.

When last I heard,he was living contentedly in Canvey Island.

R.I.P.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Johnny Quigley, Bobby Kellard and Gerry Gow; all great, tough midfielders from my youth and, sadly, all now departed.

Whilst I never had the privilege of meeting the late Gerry Gow, I had the dubious pleasure of meeting Johnny Quigley and, indeed, played in the same team as him for one season - he would have been in his mid/late 40s at the time, and I can confirm he was an extremely hard b*stard, both on and off the pitch.

Once (in drink) he threatened to punch me/knock me out when I had the temerity to suggest that, alongside Bobby Kellard and Gerry Gow, he was one of my favourite City midfielders - he dismissed Bobby Kellard as a fat Cockney b*stard and, whilst they were both Glaswegians, he dismissed Gerry Gow as not being as good or as hard as he thought he was and that he wouldn't have lasted two minutes against him were they ever to have played against each other.  

Bobby Kellard, in contrast, I found quite warm and softly spoken, though he certainly had a very strong 'cockney' accent.

I had occasion to meet him on several occasions professionally when he became an antique dealer after retiring and he was always very welcoming and happy to chat about football and life in general.

R.I.P.  

Very interesting. I remember speaking with BK on a train coming back from an away match. It was at the time he was mooted to be leaving, I (being young) pleaded with him not to go, but he said " I love it here, but got to go where the money is!" Seemed a really nice, genuine guy.

Another one of my boyhood City favorites is no longer with us, RIP Bobby. 

I remember as a boy fusing the lights in our house....Bobby was suspended for a game and they announced on Football Focus the match was postponed (in those days the suspension didn’t roll over). I was so delighted I jumped out the chair, punched the air and the smashed the lounge lights!  

23 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

R.I.P.  

Spoke to his son told him what a great player he was .

• Like 1

Great player, always thought he had a big influence on Gerry Gow's early career and how he played from then on. Gritty determined and one of Alan Dick's best buys. Was a major influence in saving City from relegation in the late 60's. RIP  Bobby.

Edited by gavlin

Bobby was before my time, but I was lucky enough to interview him for the Evening Post, prior to our FA Cup 3rd Round replay with Portsmouth, in January 2009.

He told me a great story about the reason behind his signing for City in July 1968 as a replacement for John Quigley. According to Bobby, Alan Dicks saw Quigley - the club Captain and a great leader - as a real threat to his job. To make matters worse, Bobby was handed the captain's armband for his debut and it didn't go down well with the fans. I can't recall his exact words, but they were along these lines: I knew it, Dicks knew it and the fans knew it. I promptly led out the team to a chorus of boos.

As you know Bobby crammed a number of clubs onto his CV and didn't hang around at his next destination, Leicester City, due to a bust up with manager Frank O'Farrell. Bobby explained that he signed for the Foxes in the Summer of 1970 after being verbally promised a bonus should they be promoted at the end of the 70/71 season. Bobby and Leicester duly delivered, but O'Farrell didn't keep his end of the bargain. You'll have to sort it out with the new man. I'm off to Manchester United!

Edited by Curr Avon

On 10/01/2021 at 23:51, East End Old Boy said:

RIP

They did indeed, however there was an upside to this. Mr Kellard returned to AG with Leicester for an evening fixture. I was stood by the corner flag when said Mr Kellard lined up to take the kick. I think I made circa £6 from coins thrown at him that I managed to catch!!!

• Haha 1