IGNORED

Martin & Diedhiou

Bristolisredd

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I know Fam sometimes misses what can be described as the ‘easier chances’ but overall he’s been great for us. He’s still the most effective front man we have.

I don’t think anyone has come close for 3/4 years.

Agreed. I’ve said it before plenty of times on here but i think people need to realise to actually replace Fam even in a covid effected market wouldn’t be cheap and then there are still no guarantees we would even get an adequate replacement..

I thought they played well and had two absolutely fantastic strikes, but also having these two up for me made us have a complete lack of movement up front and made us look very poor overall and a bit short of ideas in our build up play.

We cannot rely on great strikes like yesterday to win us every game because more than often they will not be going in. Against tougher opposition Famara doesn’t get the space to curl in the first and Martin doesn’t get a second bite of the cherry to smash it top corner.

I would prefer one of these to partner someone else whose off the ball movement can cause problems for defenders or for Famara/Wells to be up top on their own with attacking players on either side. 

Not taking anything away from the goals though, fabulous strikes. 

I think I'm alone here but I actually think Martin slows down quite a lot of our attacks. Think he takes too many unnecessarily touches at times and gives the ball away quite a lot.

To be fair to him that may be down to our lack of movement and runners in behind. 

Him and Fam could work but think we would need to in a similar way to how Burnely do.

2 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

I thought these 2 played well together yesterday and proved to be a real handful for the Portsmouth defence 

I thought they worked pretty well together first half.

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I thought they played well and had two absolutely fantastic strikes, but also having these two up for me made us have a complete lack of movement up front and made us look very poor overall and a bit short of ideas in our build up play.

We cannot rely on great strikes like yesterday to win us every game because more than often they will not be going in. Against tougher opposition Famara doesn’t get the space to curl in the first and Martin doesn’t get a second bite of the cherry to smash it top corner.

I would prefer one of these to partner someone else whose off the ball movement can cause problems for defenders or for Famara/Wells to be up top on their own with attacking players on either side. 

Not taking anything away from the goals though, fabulous strikes. 

I thought their movement was good first half.  They linked up well together, they both got ball into feet from midfield and them offering short options allowed space for runs in behind them for others.

Part if this was enabled by Adelakun and Semenyo coming in off their lines dragging Pompey’s CMs away from providing a screen.

Second half, after the initial 15 mins where we were semi-camped in their half, but our midfield gave it away cheaply, they both tired and became less effective.  I thought it should’ve been Nagy, Bakinson and possibly one or both of Martin and Diedhiou should needed replacing.  That’s how Holden needs to use his subs better.  I get Adelakun coming off first game back, but he didn’t particularly look tired, yet others did.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought their movement was good first half.  They linked up well together, they both got ball into feet from midfield and them offering short options allowed space for runs in behind them for others.

Part if this was enabled by Adelakun and Semenyo coming in off their lines dragging Pompey’s CMs away from providing a screen.

Second half, after the initial 15 mins where we were semi-camped in their half, but our midfield gave it away cheaply, they both tired and became less effective.  I thought it should’ve been Nagy, Bakinson and possibly one or both of Martin and Diedhiou should needed replacing.  That’s how Holden needs to use his subs better.  I get Adelakun coming off first game back, but he didn’t particularly look tired, yet others did.

Agree they both become less effective after an hour play (l know Martins goal was later but generally he struggles after an hour). Trouble is Holden is slow to recognise when players need swapping out and, most annoying is reluctant to give Sam Bell more than 5 mins! 

No problem with them playing together, they are different after all. They did ok, thought we looked better in the first half than we have for a little while. What I want to see though, Fam and Nhaki up front together, but not using Fam as a target man. Personally I want our best finisher to play centrally , and Fam is much more than a battering ram/target man type player. I'd let Wells have a free sort of role around him . It comes down to the midfield, but if we have decent movement up front it makes it easier for them. The best forward performance I've seen in years was Fam at QPR. Wells is the best finisher at the club, great poacher and good movement. I would like them to have a run together.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

No problem with them playing together, they are different after all. They did ok, thought we looked better in the first half than we have for a little while. What I want to see though, Fam and Nhaki up front together, but not using Fam as a target man. Personally I want our best finisher to play centrally , and Fam is much more than a battering ram/target man type player. I'd let Wells have a free sort of role around him . It comes down to the midfield, but if we have decent movement up front it makes it easier for them. The best forward performance I've seen in years was Fam at QPR. Wells is the best finisher at the club, great poacher and good movement. I would like them to have a run together.

I’ve no idea what game it was but I recall Torpey and Nugent playing together once.  Not a natural pairing, but on the day they played really well together, and it was their link up with the midfield that gave us the base for the win.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Martin blasted that top corner as he was knackered! Would’ve been 30yds over the bar if he had hit it after 20 minutes :D

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Their link up play very good again yesterday.

it was indeed.

Having 2 physical targets helps each other.

I don’t think Fam minds the aerial stuff, but he’s not as keen playing the role where he needs to drop into pockets.  He can do it, but he’s hit and miss.  He looks lively when he can face up his defender.  He’s quite skilful at times.

I've always liked Fam on his own. Not alongside Weimann, Wells or even Bobby Reid I thought didn't always look right.

The only time I can remember him playing alongside a target man was with Djuric in the Birmingham win. It worked well that night, and Fam was superb, winning most balls in the air.

As you’ll know, that game is usually my go-to example when suggesting Fam likes a big bloke alongside him.  In fairness that night, Djuric took care of their aerial ball winner - Morrison, and Fam terrorised Dean with runs off of Milan.

I don't think that would have worked all the time. But Martin a very different player to Djuric. And is a target who can come short and link up, with clever touches, as well as taking the knocks up top.

Yes, a different dynamic, and the key is Martin taking the knocks on his behalf.

Only 2 games but it's got them both playing well I think. The narrow 4 in midfield means that we are not necessarily outnumbered in central areas.

I’ve been bleating about narrow wide-men since 17/18 (???), but when in many people’s eyes two wide midfielders who aren’t rated can come in and make it work, then we can all see how important the central areas are on a pitch.

Will be interesting to see if they can keep this up, it's early days. But might not even get a chance to see too much more of them if Fam is to be sold!

in a simplistic world, Fam and Martin duff the centre-backs up for 60-70, and Wells and Semenyo come on and finish them off.  I wish it was that simple.

He is showing when we can get him playing to near his best just how good he can be at this level.

As you say, only a couple of games, and as fickle as I sound, a Fam playing in this form is someone I’d now like to sign a contract.  Of course he might be just doing some window-shopping?

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Comments above

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think with Fam it's been more our tactics not getting the best out of his attributes. I like him as a lone striker, but like you say about alongside a target man, we may regret not seeing that more if we lose him.

I like the idea of a narrow 4. Like Burnley and Southampton use. Kind of have to go with that in the modern day 442 when playing 2 proper strikers.

You know me Jon....was a fan of Fam before he came here (watched a lot of him at Angers - relatively), but as you say, he’s not been played to his strengths for too long.  That’s always been my frustration.

I see a chink of light re his contract.  No idea why, but just do.

On 11/01/2021 at 11:45, Davefevs said:

I’ve no idea what game it was but I recall Torpey and Nugent playing together once.  Not a natural pairing, but on the day they played really well together, and it was their link up with the midfield that gave us the base for the win.

some pairings click better than others:dunno:

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

They definitely do.

I thought Fam and Weimann would be a good pairing, akin to Benteke and Weimann....but they never clicked.

Benteke different player to fam, sorry thinking of fams partner now being Deano isn't easy.

Archived