IGNORED

Brentford v Bristol City postponed... Again!

The Journalist

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Another suggestion would be to award a point to each team on every league postponement which will at least prevent the backlog of games getting worse. 

At this point I would take 1 point for this match.

Later in the season with more fit players it could be a different story.

9 minutes ago, markcarter said:

The rate of infection within football is amazingly worse than the rate of infection in the general community.  That can’t surely have been what was expected as reasonable for football to continue.  With the virus currently so prevalent and infections continuing to rise exponentially, there can be no practical or moral argument for it to continue.

Yes, you've said.

Repeatedly.

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A lot of teams at the bottom of the table would happily take a point per game.

Looking at the last 6-8 weeks, we’d happily take a point per game!

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's assuming the Euros go ahead as planned. Uefa have already ruled out full capacity crowds, saying it'll likely be 70% capacity maximum. There are some options to play with the format too, or will it come too early and have to be cancelled permanently? 

I think the euros will go ahead but maybe behind closed doors as how do they choose who gets tickets unless it’s home fans only ? 
can see the format changing to involve less travel but uefa will hold on to the ticket money as long as possible. I have no sympathy with them what so ever on dreaming up a tournament that gives traveling fans about 3 days notice on where games will be played if they get out of the group and being forced to pay expensive air fares 

Just now, sticks 1969 said:

I think the euros will go ahead but maybe behind closed doors as how do they choose who gets tickets unless it’s home fans only ? 
can see the format changing to involve less travel but uefa will hold on to the ticket money as long as possible. I have no sympathy with them what so ever on dreaming up a tournament that gives traveling fans about 3 days notice on where games will be played if they get out of the group and being forced to pay expensive air fares 

I think it will be moved to one country, quite possibly here depending how our vaccination process goes. Each group plays in 1 city/stadium and train at club/university facilities nearby. Stadium requirements for capacity etc wouldn't need apply being behind closed doors.

25 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Annoyingly I would add too.

We need something in our lives as we haven't got much else - we aren't exactly living right now.

It is probably the only thing I look forward to at the moment and that is saying a lot

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

They'll just play 'double fixtures' of 1 hour duration each, like we used to in the suburban league.

.....and play with the same standard of referees, changing rooms and cold showers that I used to have to put up with. 

27 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Interested in what type of tests City took. According to website they were tested and results back same morning.

As I understand it, you can get results in 20 minutes or so. The cost of the EFL ones are £175, which is way more than the 48hour results ones. Prices vary from £70 (anti body test) to £120 from the ones I've seen.
I saw a report of tests at a foreign airport were doing 20 minute results months ago. 

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As I understand it, you can get results in 20 minutes or so. The cost of the EFL ones are £175, which is way more than the 48hour results ones. Prices vary from £70 (anti body test) to £120 from the ones I've seen.
I saw a report of tests at a foreign airport were doing 20 minute results months ago. 

Just we couldn’t test New Year’s Day lab was shut.

Intrigued as to what facility they are using to get results back in a morning.

Where the lab was based to get samples there so quick.

Read previously players were testing themselves at home and then handing in samples to be tested. Which would mean you don’t need a lab and it could well be lateral flow testing.

I personally think the club website is wrong and tests were done yesterday for all clubs were due to be tested under the new twice weekly testing.

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Just we couldn’t test New Year’s Day lab was shut.

Intrigued as to what facility they are using to get results back in a morning.

Where the lab was based to get samples there so quick.

I must admit I was amazed a private testing facility was closed on NYD. It's too easy to check for them to have made it up just to get the game off, but it does seem odd.

As for the speed , as I said I saw that a guy had flown into somewhere (I forget where I saw it ) but he said he was tested, waited 20 minutes and was given the all clear to carry on his journey. There are a few Labs/Clinic/Private hospitals around Bristol, wouldn't take too much (in theory) to set up a courier for the regular trip to the test centre, results could be phoned back pretty sharpish.

29 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Nah they are still crying. Apparently it is different for them as they have positive tests to prove it. Arrogant cockney no-marks.

Yeah and it means they know who to isolate because of it :laugh: makes their argument weaker.

This is looking pretty ominous now, and if things get any worse generally I think football will have to go on hiatus anyway.

Making the Euros a pan-continental affair was always a daft idea, and it would be insane to let supporters travel for it as even by the summer we will be about as out of the woods as those people in the Blair Witch Project.

Even allowing the teams and their entourages from 24 countries to ping pong back and forth is ill advised. It’ll end up being hastily repackaged in one country at the 11th hour if not outright cancelled altogether, is my gut feeling.

As another poster pointed out, money talks, so it’s no surprise that sport is soldiering on, but as much as I agree that it’s a good diversion for folks who are essentially housebound currently “entertainment” is not a valid reason to make football exempt during a pandemic. Cases in the game seem rife, and those players are mingling with family, club administrative staff, etc. and contributing to the spread. Not to mention they can’t seem to be trusted anyway, cf dressing room celebrations and Celtic’s ludicrous trip to the MidEast.

Then you have the topsy turvy situation that workers making a pittance in the service industry prevented from working and these gazillionaires (appreciate not all players make that much money, but even at EFL level it’s a wedge the average bloke can only dream of) can carry on regardless.

I want the game to continue if possible safely, but it’s close to being untenable IMO.

Archived