IGNORED

Scott Parker

The Bard

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I take this back (too late to edit?)

I thought from OP that they were playing again with 48 hours, they’re playing 4 days later that’s not that extreme. They may have had to change their plans but players have enough time to recover. Tottenham played Sunday so have one less day.

I shall read more before commenting next time!

I have to admit i thought exactly the same in regards to the time frame - however i stand by my other comments 

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

There is definitely an argument as to weather football should be being played i agree - however it’s being given the time of day as because weather we like it or not, football isn’t just football anymore, staying in the premier league is worth a minimum of 100m 

Yes of course. However all those laid off and all those people, company’s and industry’s out there having to do things that they wouldn’t normally in industries worth more than the Premier League and company’s bigger than Fulham are by and large getting on with it and changing their ways hoping there are better times ahead. 

Scott Parker Is whining PoS with a limited handle on the fact that a 1000 a day are dying in the UK AND 4000 in the US. IF he can’t shut up and do what he can then he should resign. As a matter of interest has the board of Directors at Fulham made a complaint?

52 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I take this back (too late to edit?)

I thought from OP that they were playing again with 48 hours, they’re playing 4 days later that’s not that extreme. They may have had to change their plans but players have enough time to recover. Tottenham played Sunday so have one less day.

I shall read more before commenting next time!

don't bother, I do that to make sure no one else has made the point then forget what I was going post so go for it and just take any shit that comes your way (at least it will hit the fan) .

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It ain’t that simple Bard.

You, me and pretty much every football fans knows how valuable staying the PL is financially and for one of the lower team, Fulham points are especially crucial. Lots of analysis and planning goes into each upcoming match and to given just 72 hours to prepare for a previously unplanned game is ludicrous.

Parker has every right to whinge about it.

Yes it is that simple.  Football is so far up its own backside that people actually think they have the right to whinge about something so piffling.  Believe it or not, they have to change their plans when players get injured in training or catch Covid. 

21 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yes it is that simple.  Football is so far up its own backside that people actually think they have the right to whinge about something so piffling.  Believe it or not, they have to change their plans when players get injured in training or catch Covid. 

Piffling to you or many fans for that matter but it’s certainly not piffling to Fulham.

Just now, weepywall said:

Remember the days when FA cup games were played on a Saturday and replays were played on the following Tuesday or Wednesday, no matter how far the distance, not much time for preperation in those days !

You would have prepared for it if you knew it was a possibility 

8 hours ago, weepywall said:

Remember the days when FA cup games were played on a Saturday and replays were played on the following Tuesday or Wednesday, no matter how far the distance, not much time for preperation in those days !

Iirc, it was a 10 days gap between the drawn match and the reply.

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

The Fulham manager thinks it is 'scandalous' that his poor, downtrodden collection of feckless millionaires have only been given 2 days and a bit to get ready to play a game of football far, far away from Fulham in North London.

It always ceases to amaze me the complete lack of a sense of perspective from some people in football.  

A scandal Scott is when something bad actually happens, probably as a result of corruption or negligence.  For example the Government spending £12 billion on a shitty Test and Trace system as supplied by their cronies.  

I don’t know what people expect to be honest - footballers have been disconnected from the real world for decades now.. this pandemic only exasperates that fact.

A combination of people in the game having far too much money a complete lack of intelligence and a global platform in which to spout there absolute nonsense is what is wrong in football.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Piffling to you or many fans for that matter but it’s certainly not piffling to Fulham.

I think people have misunderstood Scott Parker’s comments. It’s NOT the fact that they are playing the game, BUT that although there was a doubt regarding Tottenham playing Villa on Thursday it was not until the Monday that it was confirmed that Fulham would play Tottenham. His argument is that he would have prepared his team differently for the QPR game on Saturday knowing that they also had a game on Wednesday. Tottenham of course wouldn’t have had the same issue, as they were expecting to play a game on Wednesday. Totally agree with Ali McCoists comments on TALKSPORT this am.

Real atletes run dozens of miles everyday while training, while most footballers dont even run for 1 1/2hrs on a matchday so how come they need so many days between games to recover?

Game prep/tactics....is it not right that that cannot be "set in stone" until the actual team they are playing is known, 1hr before kick off and then there is the halftime break/instructions from touchline and indeed notes passed during the game; is it not pretty simple, defenders will be defending, forwards will be, well forward and midfielders will be linking/joining both.

I realise that they must get very tired on long coach trips and need there nights in posh hotels etc, but not if its in the same City.

We all have to make sacrifices many much more than these poor lovies have to, its a game of football ffs get on with it.

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Iirc, it was a 10 days gap between the drawn match and the reply.

Depends on how far back you go.

When I started watching, replays took place in the midweek immediately after the drawn game. Second replays, if required, then played on following Monday and third replays if needed, on the Thursday of the same week.

Replay dates were changed in 1970's or 1980's due to the police insisting on ten days to organise themselves!

Parker is simply getting his reasons for defeat before the match.

15 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Real atletes run dozens of miles everyday while training, while most footballers dont even run for 1 1/2hrs on a matchday so how come they need so many days between games to recover?

Game prep/tactics....is it not right that that cannot be "set in stone" until the actual team they are playing is known, 1hr before kick off and then there is the halftime break/instructions from touchline and indeed notes passed during the game; is it not pretty simple, defenders will be defending, forwards will be, well forward and midfielders will be linking/joining both.

I realise that they must get very tired on long coach trips and need there nights in posh hotels etc, but not if its in the same City.

We all have to make sacrifices many much more than these poor lovies have to, its a game of football ffs get on with it.

You seem to be implying that footballers don’t run as much as athletes so don’t need the rest?  I suggest respectfully that you read up on sports science, as all sports have different demands on the body, and have different training schedules to cope, and different rest requirements.  

Football in this country has caught up with the rest of Europe and other sports in this respect and takes it seriously, unlike back in the day when our very own Paul Cheesley was asked to run up and down the Dolman steps which ended his career!

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

You obviously didn't travel up to Wrexham in Jan. '78 to se us lose 3-0 after drawing 4-4 at home a few days earlier!

No I didn’t.......however when City drew at AG in 1994 with Liverpool the replay at Anfield was roughly 9 or 10 days later.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No I didn’t.......however when City drew at AG in 1994 with Liverpool the replay at Anfield was roughly 9 or 10 days later.

Good decision, a very cold and miserable evening.

Looking at the records it seems the Wrexham replay was just 2 days later, on the Monday.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

What a strange comment. Do footballers not run in training? Also the constant twisting, turning, stop and start nature in sport is very hard wearing on the body. "Real" athletes - I assume you're talking runners? Generally run at a consistent pace, in a single direction. That's not even considering the kicks and knocks that footballers pick up along the way. 

I agree with perspective that complaining about football seems insensitive at the moment, but have none of you moaned at work in the last 12 months about work load or expectations? I can tell you I have, doesn't mean I care any less about what other people are going through. It's very idealistic to say never complain because there's always someone worse off, but that's just not human nature. We're obviously going to discuss the things that impact us directly

11 hours ago, weepywall said:

Remember early 90's city playing away to West brom over xmas then at home to Forest the next day. Can you imagine what managers these days would say about that?!

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Not years ago RR....... Sometimes you'd get 3 or 4 replays eg v aldershot 89

That Aldershot replay at AG was a real blur.  It was just before Xmas, and I went straight from the office party (held in the office, upstairs in the rest room).  The manager brought in his home-made wine.  Effin’ lethal.  I saw double and triple all night.  ???

4 hours ago, Super said:

Remember early 90's city playing away to West brom over xmas then at home to Forest the next day. Can you imagine what managers these days would say about that?!

Too many people stuck in the past, just because they used to do something doesn't make it right. Sports science has come on a long way since then

20 hours ago, Midred said:

They could try retraining and work in a hospital or a school? They would be a lot more tired and a lot poorer!

And might have to work a double shift at a moments notice. It happens.

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Too many people stuck in the past, just because they used to do something doesn't make it right. Sports science has come on a long way since then

Yes but i don't recall too many people moaning back then. They just got on with it.

5 hours ago, Super said:

Remember Plymouth home followed by Portsmouth away the next day in the mid 70's.

Football was always first and foremost entertainment for the masses so more games were played at holiday times when fans were able to get out and watch in the biggest numbers possible.

Players have always said they like to play games (not on consecutive days very often, granted) rather than train, saying that several hours training was often just as arduous as playing a match.

Maybe it's not these days?

11 hours ago, glos old boy said:

They need time to recover Simple as that

Mate of mine runs 3 or 4 marathons a year and always aims for under 3 hours and more often than not does it

About 3 years ago he took 9 months off work to run marathons every weekend all over europe and the usa to try to bring his times down

The 1st four or five race he done under 3 hours After that times just got slower and slower By end of year he said he done well to do 3hours 45 

Just proves you need to let your body rest

16 hours ago, Super said:

Yes but i don't recall too many people moaning back then. They just got on with it.

There's a lot of things people used to do that were unsafe and "just got on with" that wouldn't be allowed now.

It's not a valid argument to beat modern day players with that someone used to do it 30 years ago so why not now. 

On 13/01/2021 at 11:25, Davefevs said:

That Aldershot replay at AG was a real blur.  It was just before Xmas, and I went straight from the office party (held in the office, upstairs in the rest room).  The manager brought in his home-made wine.  Effin’ lethal.  I saw double and triple all night.  ???

Remember those games really well, it was 4 games within around a 12 day period, with us finally getting through 1-0 a couple of days before Xmas at Ashton Gate, i saw 3 of the games, and the thing that stood out was Aldershots outstanding centre forward who looked too good for that level, I remember talking about him with my football attending mates at the time, and    all of us saying we should sign him.  He would of only cost a smallish fee, and at 24 his best days were ahead.........I followed  Steve Claridges career with interest from then on, as he went on to score, I believe, over 250 goals with a variety of clubs, and proved to be quality at a higher level.     You would have thought that Joe Jordan would have noticed a fellow centre forward with talent?

42 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Remember those games really well, it was 4 games within around a 12 day period, with us finally getting through 1-0 a couple of days before Xmas at Ashton Gate, i saw 3 of the games, and the thing that stood out was Aldershots outstanding centre forward who looked too good for that level, I remember talking about him with my football attending mates at the time, and    all of us saying we should sign him.  He would of only cost a smallish fee, and at 24 his best days were ahead.........I followed  Steve Claridges career with interest from then on, as he went on to score, I believe, over 250 goals with a variety of clubs, and proved to be quality at a higher level.     You would have thought that Joe Jordan would have noticed a fellow centre forward with talent?

He stood out for me too.  Then again they had another guy who was good that night....Adrian Randall.  He had a slightly less good career.

Archived