IGNORED

Birmingham City - Memories

Lenners

12 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’re right, up until the match City fans had been a bit lukewarm about Mark Gavin, but I remember that after we were 4-0 up we had a corner and the fans were all singing Gavin’s name and he turned to us and started conducting the chants.  Happy days.  I also remember being hugely insulted when a Birmingham player was interviewed after the match and said that he couldn’t believe that they had lost 4-0 ‘to a team like that’.

It was Brian someone, that's about the best I can do. I think it was in that pink Birmingham football paper with all that day's results (when just about all 92 clubs still played at 3pm on the same day) that we always picked up on the way back from games further north. I think we hung around that day after the game so as to be able to buy it and read about the win and see what they made of it. Not a lot, from memory. 

It was also to see the newly adjusted league table, with, I think, ourselves atop the lot for the first time that season. Imagine kids today with their "the table as it will be if scores stay like this" or whatever it's called on their phones, in the first half of games (no wonder there's no atmosphere now, with bloody phones waay more diverting than the football before your eyes), having to wait about an hour after a game to see the table, or even discover all the scores should you not have been near a radio! Or sat at home watching Grandstand.

Was on CATS that day

We got bricked on the way to the ground. Stepped off the coach to see the aforementioned helicopter - it was like a war zone! My main memory of the day was hearing the WMP dishing out some fists at half time, and bodies being thrown against the toilet walls. What a day, was only 16!

18 hours ago, Lenners said:

I do and all, you get the odd fixtures with Swansea and Cardiff (obviously Rovers too if they ever get their act together) but outside of that it’s never a patch on what it was.

That Swansea game at AG a couple of years ago is my favourite game at the new AG other than Man U.

Agree, that Swansea game was a great atmosphere. When people were moaning after because we gave them too many tickets I was of the opposite opinion, the more the merrier and the better the atmosphere and the better we play. 

23 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Agree, that Swansea game was a great atmosphere. When people were moaning after because we gave them too many tickets I was of the opposite opinion, the more the merrier and the better the atmosphere and the better we play. 

Spot on mate, more away fans the better. Unless it’s Leeds fans.

5 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Was on CATS that day

We got bricked on the way to the ground. Stepped off the coach to see the aforementioned helicopter - it was like a war zone! My main memory of the day was hearing the WMP dishing out some fists at half time, and bodies being thrown against the toilet walls. What a day, was only 16!

We caught a ridiculously early train and got ‘kettled’ up by WMP and held in an area near the ground surrounded by wasteland , for ages before gates opened - there were hundreds of us , must be a few on here that were in it !

Coming out was absolute bedlam , pitch black and lit up by helicopter spotlights !

29 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We caught a ridiculously early train and got ‘kettled’ up by WMP and held in an area near the ground surrounded by wasteland , for ages before gates opened - there were hundreds of us , must be a few on here that were in it !

Coming out was absolute bedlam , pitch black and lit up by helicopter spotlights !

If I remember correctly a few zulus came over chucking stones and other things when 1 of them feel over for no apparent reason, big cheer went up .

17 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

If I remember correctly a few zulus came over chucking stones and other things when 1 of them feel over for no apparent reason, big cheer went up .

And IiRC one lad conducting a one man wild charge on WMP Lines and Some Zulus !

Were you on that early train Glen ?

(I see you spotted yourself on the photo - I assumed that was the train load I arrived with ) 

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

(I see you spotted yourself on the photo - I assumed that was the train load I arrived with ) 

Yeah I was mate, can’t remember how hundreds of us got rounded up , I can remember the game as clear as crystal but parts of the day are a bit blurry for obvious reasons ?

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I've been more scared at games, but that was just bedlam. Remember laughing about it all once Birmingham was clearly in the rear view mirror ?

Different memories; 1st visit to the gate in 1965 and was against Brum, other teams in this the 2nd div included the likes of Man City, Wolves, Palace who have gone on to better things and then the likes of Bury who havent.

We are still here......waiting?

15 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

i was there shelts....the dibble got us to the ground about midday and after took us all to small heath station not a single pint all day and remember the one man charge think it was lively in the seats to our right at half time too

Fond memories of that day. We sure made a noise. Pandemonium outside the ground after the match too. One of the few times following city away I've been genuinely scared.

Only just found this old vid, first time I'd seen the goals since that day. Shame the quality is so ropey.

Many rightly reference the great day out in 1990 but the one that's always stuck in my mind was 3 or 4 years later, the last game before the redevelopment of St Andrews took place and last chance for Zulus to stand on The Kop.

We went two up through Scott Partridge midway through the first half (mullering them like last Saturday,) and The Zulus weren't best pleased we were raining on their parade. Recall second half two sections of fans over the barriers, one set of which followed 'our half' lino up and down making all sorts of threats in his lughole, the other standing in front of us, backs to the pitch, and rather than watch the game they pointed and gestured at random City supporters in a form of 'death by charades'.  There weren't too many inventive and extreme acts of violence omitted.

I asked one copper why they weren't doing anything about the provocation and he looked at me as though I was stupid. I explained we'd need to get back to the car just across the green post match and asked if he had any suggestions as to how to do so safely?

"RUN."

"FAST!"

Thankfully the lino, in threat of his life, finally conceded one to 'Socks' Claridge and another to Donowa to tie things up for them. Final whistle The Zulus wanted a few minutes on the turf such we managed to escape, just......

Archived