IGNORED

First Division memories

BigAl&Toby

Look what the postman brought me today. A nice collection of old programmes including the lot from the first season back in Division One.

Had to buy them. For the boy. I lost mine many house moves ago. And let’s face it. As things are at the moment I’m not holding my breath that I’ll get to buy programmes again from games when we’re in the Top Flight.........

And can anyone on here vouch for the services of W H Gardiner? Just that I’m thinning a bit on top...... ?

28FE768A-12B4-49D5-A9C9-F5D62D63D0C1.jpeg

191C8C41-03E5-402D-A995-DAC4A7B57C4A.jpeg

35 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Look what the postman brought me today. A nice collection of old programmes including the lot from the first season back in Division One.

Had to buy them. For the boy. I lost mine many house moves ago. And let’s face it. As things are at the moment I’m not holding my breath that I’ll get to buy programmes again from games when we’re in the Top Flight.........

And can anyone on here vouch for the services of W H Gardiner? Just that I’m thinning a bit on top...... ?

I think HNM used W.H.Gardner..?

I have loads of the programmes from those four years in division 1, including the one bizarrely carrying the Anarchy In The UK advert. Possibly that was the foggy Leeds game that was abandoned?

That hair transplant ad is hilarious! Before: bald. After: still bald but with a bit of a combe-over. So 1970s ?

I've still got my white away shirt, a couple of first day covers and , of course the Promotion Ale, but I only have the odd programme. Not sure if I ever had them or I lost them. Got many more from just after, TBH I got a bit cocky, I thought we would be there for years :sad26: 

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've still got my white away shirt, a couple of first day covers and , of course the Promotion Ale, but I only have the odd programme. Not sure if I ever had them or I lost them. Got many more from just after, TBH I got a bit cocky, I thought we would be there for years :sad26: 

We - I say we, more the boy now - has the old Umbro home and away shirts framed and hanging above his bed.

Somewhere in his room is a bottle of the Ale.

And in the garage? We’ve got two of the old clattering seats from the Williams Stand. Oh. And a turnstile. 

That’s coming inside. When I can find the time to dismantle it. It’s too heavy to shift in one go.

Memories for the boy for when I’ve moved on............

Christ alive. How did our dad get all this stuff. And why? ?

59 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I have loads of the programmes from those four years in division 1, including the one bizarrely carrying the Anarchy In The UK advert. Possibly that was the foggy Leeds game that was abandoned?

That hair transplant ad is hilarious! Before: bald. After: still bald but with a bit of a combe-over. So 1970s ?

I've had it in my head for years that the fogged off game was Chelsea ?

I remember the day well but how the hell did I get the team wrong !

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got all of them along with all the away games too - even Derby`s short-lived newspaper programme.

I had forgotten all about that, I remember a mate bringing a copy into the pub after the game (not sure why but I never managed to get to the Baseball Ground).  IIRC correctly Oxford had a newspaper type programme, I bought one at the Manor Ground in our promotion season.  They were not very "user-friendly", although I don't think that descriptive phrase had been invented in 1976!

I have a set of the first season as well,... some of them with players autographs collected by me by standing at the tunnel exit in the enclosure before game and getting players as they came out to look at pitch in their fancy suits ... Man City team incuding Asa Hartford, Denis Tueart, Mike Doyle, Corrigan, Brian Kidd etc, and Arsenal, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton et al,.and Everton....missed out on Liverpool because i was in the EE that awesome night....right behind Garlands diving header that levelled it at HT.....14yrs old and loving it...

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I've had it in my head for years that the fogged off game was Chelsea ?

I remember the day well but how the hell did I get the team wrong !

Definitely Leeds the game that was abandoned at half time. We were in the Enclosure and could hardly see the Dolman stand, never mind the far goal mouth. Occasional ironic shouts of "offside!" or "man on". How we laughed ?

15 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

That's brill, i remember buying my programme and last weeks away one off Beryl as part of my pre match fun.. 

The 77/78 - my first season - programme is my favourite (15p to you, sir). The cover including every week a backdrop picture of what must be the Open End. Our lot, in the Open End. The crowd is very male, very young, very Anglo-Saxon (but not exclusively so), and very 1970s - all very conducive to atmospheric displays of support for the team. No one is diverted by a hand-held device, almost everyone is focussed entirely on the pitch. No one looks pissed off or fed up; all look pensive, but quietly hopeful. Facial hair is scarce. Collars are wide. One bloke has his arms folded, but wears a half-smile. One lad looks like Kevin Keegan. City are back in the big time, failure and disappointment are behind us, things are looking up (how blissfully naive they all were .... ) 

31 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The 77/78 - my first season - programme is my favourite (15p to you, sir). The cover including every week a backdrop picture of what must be the Open End. Our lot, in the Open End. The crowd is very male, very young, very Anglo-Saxon (but not exclusively so), and very 1970s - all very conducive to atmospheric displays of support for the team. No one is diverted by a hand-held device, almost everyone is focussed entirely on the pitch. No one looks pissed off or fed up; all look pensive, but quietly hopeful. Facial hair is scarce. Collars are wide. One bloke has his arms folded, but wears a half-smile. One lad looks like Kevin Keegan. City are back in the big time, failure and disappointment are behind us, things are looking up (how blissfully naive they all were .... ) 

I remember that cover photo, and recognised a few on it at the time.

Wonder how many of them are still going down the Gate?

Interested to see it again if you, or someone else - @BigAl&Toby? - could put the full picture up?

37 minutes ago, Offside said:

I think this is the one. 

5640C3A6-FDAD-4B3F-A097-6F2D5A1D675A.jpeg

Thanks.

I remember that one but it was a closer up picture of fans I had in mind (or certainly a different one as the people I knew aren't on this one)

Was there a picture of fans on the back cover as well?

My memories of those halcyon days are pretty vague tbh and I’m always impressed by those who’s recollections are so much clearer than mine.

I do remember taking patients to games and we had ground level view at the bottom of the old Williams stand. entering AG  by the big red gates by the old ticket windows and I vividly remember Gerry Gow  and Ray Kennedy kicking the shit out of each other and at one point tackling each other right in front of us - the ball was going out for a throw..........:dunno:

At full time they headed off down the tunnel arms around each other shoulders.

What was great from that low vantage was the din the players were making......we could hear everything!

12 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Definitely Leeds the game that was abandoned at half time. We were in the Enclosure and could hardly see the Dolman stand, never mind the far goal mouth. Occasional ironic shouts of "offside!" or "man on". How we laughed ?

Don't know how we decided where we were standing each game, for this one we were in the open end. Saw Chris Garland hit the bar, sort of. Don't think we could see much past the area. They only played on to keep the money ?

On 14/01/2021 at 13:31, BigAl&Toby said:

That is the game the Cheese done his knee!

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thanks.

I remember that one but it was a closer up picture of fans I had in mind (or certainly a different one as the people I knew aren't on this one)

Was there a picture of fans on the back cover as well?

Not sure about the back cover, I just saw that pic in the internet. 

49 minutes ago, Offside said:

Not sure about the back cover, I just saw that pic in the internet. 

@Lanterne Rouge has confirmed there was another picture of fans on the back cover, hopefully someone who's got a programme from that season can put that picture up here. 

17 hours ago, REDOXO said:

That is the game the Cheese done his knee!

I was just going to say the same re that Stoke programme. Probably my most vivid memory of the first division unfortunately, heightened probably because it was our first home match in Div 1. I can still picture him jumping with Shilton. 

42 minutes ago, eardun said:

I was just going to say the same re that Stoke programme. Probably my most vivid memory of the first division unfortunately, heightened probably because it was our first home match in Div 1. I can still picture him jumping with Shilton. 

Me too. I was standing behind the goal at the open end so had a clear view of the whole event.......Probably my worst moment as a City fan.

On 15/01/2021 at 08:22, City Rocker said:

Pretty sure we had a new signing making his home debut that day- Hunter? Anyway, after 45 mins in the schoolboys enclosure ( it did exist) I still hadn’t seen him. 

1 hour ago, eardun said:

I was in the open end to the right of the goal. It all happened right in front of me. 

Archived