IGNORED

First Division memories

BigAl&Toby

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

@Lanterne Rouge has confirmed there was another picture of fans on the back cover, hopefully someone who's got a programme from that season can put that picture up here. 

It's all one picture spread over the front and back page. I am unable to put it on here because it's exceeding the file limit, apparently? 

On 14/01/2021 at 20:23, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got all of them along with all the away games too - even Derby`s short-lived newspaper programme.

'The Ram' - I recall it lasted a few seasons. There were also the 'odd shaped' programmes which I've in my collection in the attic. Man City's was square and later 'landscape' & didn't Norwich's programme have an odd shape for a short time?

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

'The Ram' - I recall it lasted a few seasons. There were also the 'odd shaped' programmes which I've in my collection in the attic. Man City's was square and later 'landscape' & didn't Norwich's programme have an odd shape for a short time?

There were all sorts of odd ones, it was a nightmare trying to fit some of them in a box file!

On 15/01/2021 at 08:22, City Rocker said:

Definitely Leeds the game that was abandoned at half time. We were in the Enclosure and could hardly see the Dolman stand, never mind the far goal mouth. Occasional ironic shouts of "offside!" or "man on". How we laughed ?

I was right behind the goal at the Open End and as happened in those days the crowd was chatting with the keeper.

My recollection is virtually nothing happened, there were large passages of play where one could vaguely see the outlines of figures toward the centre of the pitch apparently running around aimlessly. The only thing of note was the collective cries of "WTF" shortly before halftime when we all ducked as this orange object flashed our way. The ref and keeper had a conflab where the ref confirmed he switched balls about 25 minutes earlier and nobody at the Open End had a scooby that had happened.

Anybody recall a similar game at Oxford (I think) which went the distance but us fans stood on the terrace for the best part of two hours staring into a white oblivion in the hope of seeing some action our end?

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I was right behind the goal at the Open End and as happened in those days the crowd was chatting with the keeper.

My recollection is virtually nothing happened, there were large passages of play where one could vaguely see the outlines of figures toward the centre of the pitch apparently running around aimlessly. The only thing of note was the collective cries of "WTF" shortly before halftime when we all ducked as this orange object flashed our way. The ref and keeper had a conflab where the ref confirmed he switched balls about 25 minutes earlier and nobody at the Open End had a scooby that had happened.

Anybody recall a similar game at Oxford (I think) which went the distance but us fans stood on the terrace for the best part of two hours staring into a white oblivion in the hope of seeing some action our end?

Remember both Oxford and Leeds. At both matches we only saw one half, even though the Oxford match lasted the full 90 mins! 

I have got every programme of games i went to in 70's and all the four 'Halcyon Seasons; but when i left the country a friend kept buying me Programmes for games i never saw

If anyone want s a Programme or two from 83-87 i will post them FOC. If anyone wants a lot we can agree a price (a few quid for Charity) Message your requests

10 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Thanks. I have quite a few classics from the 70's 

Have you ever seen these taken at Eastville in front of 5000 City fans  amassed on the Open End.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

Brilliant !

Are those from the 4-1 win? I've got the video but the camera hardly shows the crowd. Always hoped to see myself, we had a shit little home made banner that we only did the outlines of the words. It meant you couldn't see anything on it from any distance ?

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Brilliant !

Are those from the 4-1 win? I've got the video but the camera hardly shows the crowd. Always hoped to see myself, we had a shit little home made banner that we only did the outlines of the words. It meant you couldn't see anything on it from any distance ?

The weather is far too good for them to be from that game - they'll be from the 0-0 draw in 75/76.

Seen the bottom photo many times, but never seen the boy on the bench holding the banner before.

He must be in his 50's now.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Brilliant !

The pictures are from the game that ended 0-0 75/76. attached are a couple more from the same game. 

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

31 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

DSC00014.JPG

This is a brilliant photo. I always look at these and hope I see my younger self, never have yet . I can remember pretty much where we stood for the 4-1, and the 2-1 cup , but not sure for this one. 

Some great photos, thanks for posting.

This thread should be pinned by the MODs to ensure everyone remembers what Bristol City Football Club means. Compare it to todays club!

Tom Ritchie, Donnie Gillies - what a side we had in those days. Managed by Sir Alan Dicks.

25 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Great picture .

So different from today's sterile atmosphere and not a phone in sight

Definitely not sterile going to Eastville, I loved that open end. Only got to see a few games at Eastville , always a good turn out of ours.

Archived