IGNORED

First Division memories

BigAl&Toby

On 16/01/2021 at 18:45, BTRFTG said:

I was right behind the goal at the Open End and as happened in those days the crowd was chatting with the keeper.

My recollection is virtually nothing happened, there were large passages of play where one could vaguely see the outlines of figures toward the centre of the pitch apparently running around aimlessly. The only thing of note was the collective cries of "WTF" shortly before halftime when we all ducked as this orange object flashed our way. The ref and keeper had a conflab where the ref confirmed he switched balls about 25 minutes earlier and nobody at the Open End had a scooby that had happened.

Anybody recall a similar game at Oxford (I think) which went the distance but us fans stood on the terrace for the best part of two hours staring into a white oblivion in the hope of seeing some action our end?

I was at the Oxford game , couldn’t see a thing , drew 1-1 though. Think it was the promotion season 89-90 could be wrong though 

On 17/01/2021 at 22:39, Eastendboy1965 said:

Thanks. I have quite a few classics from the 70's 

Have you ever seen these taken at Eastville in front of 5000 City fans  amassed on the Open End.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

That could have been me in the top picture. I had a Div 1 here we come flag and would certainly have been at Eastville as i only lived up the road past the gas works.

7 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

That could have been me in the top picture. I had a Div 1 here we come flag and would certainly have been at Eastville as i only lived up the road past the gas works.

Has to be you? The picture was taken by John Kelland, ex Bristol City official photographer. He wore a Tammy Shanter, many will remember him. Great chap. 

I have Johns complete collection from the 70's. He gave them to me when I put on the 'Spirit of 76'  event in 2011.  If you would like the photo pass me your email address and I will gladly send you a copy.

11 hours ago, Garland said:

It’s a shame John Kelland’s collection aren’t available to browse and buy online - I’m sure there are many who would be interested in looking back. Or, if they are all online somewhere could you post a link?

There are some classics on the Spirit of 76 DVD and also 50 goals ( including the Kevin Mabbutt hat trick at Man U ) from 1978 season, the most successful in post war history. I am in Portugal currently but when I return )hopefully in March) I can send you a copy.

Spirit of 76 DVD front cover 002.jpg

@Eastendboy1965 thanks ... already have that DVD.

As about the only digital thing we had back then was a calculator - he/someone must have a fantastic and unique volume of images as negatives/film (many times more than were ever used in the programmes) of what were for the club and supporters such great times - if these were ever digitised and available to browse/buy I’d be interested. To be honest I’m surprised someone has thought about a book full of them ... the ground as it was, promotion, celebrations, supporters, pre-match entertainment (chimps, seals, cowboys to Rockin Robins), players, staff, classic games etc John Kelland took photos of it all ... a visual history/story.

2 hours ago, Garland said:

@Eastendboy1965 thanks ... already have that DVD.

As about the only digital thing we had back then was a calculator - he/someone must have a fantastic and unique volume of images as negatives/film (many times more than were ever used in the programmes) of what were for the club and supporters such great times - if these were ever digitised and available to browse/buy I’d be interested. To be honest I’m surprised someone has thought about a book full of them ... the ground as it was, promotion, celebrations, supporters, pre-match entertainment (chimps, seals, cowboys to Rockin Robins), players, staff, classic games etc John Kelland took photos of it all ... a visual history/story.

Would make a superb book and or prints to be framed.

Archived