IGNORED

How good has Zak Vyner been!

DanCarter25

In a word brilliant. Has been arguably our beat player with Bentley. Both have been consistently 7 plus out of 10.

considering he was a player we were potentially going to move on.  Again another node to the coaching staff who just don’t know what a decent player looks like.

Compered to the rest of the kids we have he looks strong enough to compete at this level now.

Much better footballer than flint. He could possible play in midfield. But long term I see him as a right back and some who could  go on to better things.

He needs to just make a decision on where he wants to play. He is seen as a player who can fill in and do a good job in several positions. Although good to have it could hold him back.

Different from Flint and maybe not as good as Webster but still looks a good player and one who should be able to play comfortably at this level.

2 hours ago, DanCarter25 said:

I feel like it’s almost gone under the radar how well Vyner has been playing this season. Tried to do my first stats piece comparing him to Webster and Flint and wondered whether people think he’s a better defender than Flint was? 
Link to piece!

See, Nahki Wells didn’t even smile at QPR either! ?

45 minutes ago, Better Red said:

In a word brilliant. Has been arguably our beat player with Bentley. Both have been consistently 7 plus out of 10.

considering he was a player we were potentially going to move on.  Again another node to the coaching staff who just don’t know what a decent player looks like.

Compered to the rest of the kids we have he looks strong enough to compete at this level now.

Much better footballer than flint. He could possible play in midfield. But long term I see him as a right back and some who could  go on to better things.

He needs to just make a decision on where he wants to play. He is seen as a player who can fill in and do a good job in several positions. Although good to have it could hold him back.

Different from Flint and maybe not as good as Webster but still looks a good player and one who should be able to play comfortably at this level.

Understatement of the century!

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Might only be a brief appearance off the bench, but he looked very good coming on in midfield.

Vyner and Nagy, allowing Bakinson into much more advanced role? 

Bakinson looks class when deep but his problem is the odd silly error. Though a part of that is over confidence, which is also a good thing.

It would give us a solid look with Mawson and Kalas behind them.

Would be so harsh not to play Vyner, as I agree, he has been very good. 

The thing with Bakinson is that he tries risky passes forward, some will come off, some won't. I don't mind him losing the ball if trying to break the midfield line of the opposition because at least he's trying for it. 4 years of sideways passes from our midfield needs a change. What he needs to cut out is the lack of concentration when playing short passes in our own final third as it's an unforgiving place to lose jt.

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

The zac vyner in midfield shout is hilarious. 

He's only just broke Into the team for a consistent period, been a defender all the way through the a academy, now people think he's the answer to our midfield issues ?

I wasn't laughing.....I was thinking that he looked like one of the better midfielders we've had this season.

And I didn't laugh when we played Bobby up front.

Players can shine in other positions you know.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

He's only just broke Into the team for a consistent period, been a defender all the way through the a academy, now people think he's the answer to our midfield issues ?

I’m cautious on this too.  I keep saying that it’s a different beast playing DM than CB.  Last week’s 9 min cameo was in a stretched game.  I’m not reading tonnes into it.

Is he a long term answer? No, not imho.

Is he a one-off / few game option?  Yes, possibly a risk worth taking in current circumstances.  For me, Nagy and Bakinson have not built a relationship in there and it’s making both of them worse, and exposing the team.

FWIW, a midfield 3 last season of Brownhill as the DM with Massengo and Palmer had many worried...and yet we saw some of our best football.

And again, a midfield of Bakinson, Paterson and Weimann this season had fans questioning the sanity of the manager.  Yet it worked.

So, I’m willing to keep an open mind.

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Umm he’s done ok. Positioning is questionable, average in the air and not overly powerful. I don’t think he’s been brilliant at all. Maybe I’ve not seen him enough. 

I think if you changed the focus of the piece to has he exceeded expectations from pre-season, imho he has hugely.  I thought Moore was well ahead of him, and he’s now well ahead.  Has he been brilliant though?  No, but he’s been better than average.  A few mistakes, but what I like is that the next game he tends to have put it tight, he’s generally had strong games after mistakes.  Good character.

He’s also got good instincts in the opposition box....but hasn’t turned it into goals yet.

I think he's been ok. He has made real bad mistakes but also he's occasionally been dynamic too.

If Zak Vyner is the worst player on your team (in the championship) then it's a good team. If he's the best it's a bad one.

Good squad player and a pleasant surprise from this season. Hope the playing time he's getting from all the injuries can spur him on to the next level and he keeps developing.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Many players have moved from defence or other positions into a midfielder. 

He played there a bit for Adberdeen. Came on last game and looked really good there. He looks like he might have the attributes to make a good midfielder.

I imagine it's something Holden is considering with us now having a few different centre back options and missing a number of midfielders.

Didn’t Webster have a couple of games under Johnson in midfield. West Brom at home I think. That’s how I think Vyner can be used there, if you’ve got a team that are attacking he seems to be a definite option but still very early to know for sure

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. And he was superb in that game I thought.

Sorry....I can never let this lie ?.  He was good for 30 mins, until a very inexperienced coaches noticed he wasn’t playing at the back, changed formation and we hung on to a 3 goal lead for dear life (3-2 in the end).  We had the odd counter, Dasilva hit the post, but it was pretty incessant pressure.  Not saying Webster was crap by any means (West Brom were good too), but it was the surprise that caught West Brom out and as soon as they got someone up and close to Webster, his effectiveness was lost.  He lost possession a couple of times trying to open his body up and Livermore pounced.

That is always my fear with defenders, who are used to playing with everything in front of them, playing in midfield where they need to be able to play 360 degrees, and 360 degrees with a hairy arsed midfielder putting them under pressure.

We will of course wait and see but Webster a more accomplished technical footballer than Vyner too.  But I do like Vyner.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought he got MOTM?

I remember giving him a 9. Thought he was so quick and strong in protecting our back line. Allowing Pack to drift forward.

I certainly think he could have been a really good midfielder if we'd used him there, as we had a number of good options at the back.

I would not have done that, as he was so good at the back, but with no Korey, Webster was a player with great mobility and strength that could have helped Pack out, who I thought often struggled when Korey was out. 

I remember you saying you didn't rate his performance. Fair enough. I just loved the work he got through in there. If only Dasilva had taken that chance, it could have been a lot more comfortable.

The Thatchers MOTM is.....

They come up with some strange ones.  Too much Thatchers ?

As I say, overall he had a good game, that opening 30 mins was great.  But as soon as the likes of Livermore got around him, LJ should’ve switched it.

Im hoping Zak can do a short term job in there if selected in midfield.  I do think he’s got good technique for a defender.  But it’s a whole different game in midfield, especially one where we need them to pivot our attack / possession.  If it was literally to be an out and out stopper in front of Kalas and Mawson, absolutely, much more logic.

Buy, as always, I wait for what I see before nailing my colours to the mast.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well surely Zak is in midfield today!

Unless it's a 352 with Nagy, Palmer and Haks!? ?  Would not be comfortable with that 

Yeah, think so.  Please please please, Haks and Kasey play narrow....more like a 4222.

Did wonder 352, but like you thought a 3 as you suggest is unlikely.

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

No, this was something worth trying,  the answer is getting Williams and Walsh fit and playing.

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was fantastic. When Preston dominated, he was the one in front of our defence that was very assured and protected the back line so well.

I was quite optimistic about him being played there. His reading of the game and his composure with his decent mobility and technique. He is a very capable all round player. I do like a versatile player like Zak. Very well played today.

He was very composed out there today.  Good awareness under challenge, which is a good sign.  Him and Nagy complimented each other today....whereas Bakinson and Nagy looked rudderless.

Encouraging. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Nagy got outmuscled too easily a few times today. It can happen with him, but sometimes for whatever reason it doesn't happen. Maybe Preston being an aggressive pressing team, and were losing. Still thought he played well overall though, amazing work rate.

Him and Vyner was encouraging. I think Bakinson is class at times, but no reason for him to come in midweek for either of those 2

There was one incident where Nagy got hit like he was in one of those inflatable zorbs/spheres.  He intercepted loads today.  Sometimes I just wanted him to put his foot on the ball and slow “us” down, but put in his shift.

Overall we were good today.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one incident where Nagy got hit like he was in one of those inflatable zorbs/spheres.  He intercepted loads today.  Sometimes I just wanted him to put his foot on the ball and slow “us” down, but put in his shift.

Overall we were good today.

Was that the one on the edge of our box where he knew full well he was going to get whacked but still stood his ground? Almost got the ball too.

Archived