IGNORED

How good has Zak Vyner been!

DanCarter25

Probably only a very close second behind Mawson for MOTM today. He looked really assured and as if he had played there for years.

In the games he played last season I wasn’t sure he would be up to it, but he’s coming on well this season and has arguably been our most consistent player. Fair play Zak.

Absolutely loving Zak in midfield. He gives us something we’ve missed there ...... strength . I think have having that added muscle there from a defensively minded player also gave KP the licence he needed to be the all out attacking midfielder that he is .Looked like a very promising combination there today . 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Im hoping Zak can do a short term job in there if selected in midfield. I do think he’s got good technique for a defender. But it’s a whole different game in midfield, especially one where we need them to pivot our attack / possession.  If it was literally to be an out and out stopper in front of Kalas and Mawson, absolutely, much more logic.

Buy, as always, I wait for what I see before nailing my colours to the mast.

Agree with that, Dave. I think he’s too weak in the air to carve a career out at this level or above in central defence, but suspect he might have all the attributes to develop into a quality right-back. What do you think? I don’t think he gets a look-in if most of our centre-backs or midfielders are fit.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He was very composed out there today.  Good awareness under challenge, which is a good sign.  Him and Nagy complimented each other today....whereas Bakinson and Nagy looked rudderless.

Encouraging. 

I wonder if we might have seen signs if a new position for him? A bit like Reid.  I know it was only 1 game, but not an easy opposition and some positives for sure - especially fitting in well with Nagy.  A nice change to have positive options with City at the moment.

55 minutes ago, tin said:

Agree with that, Dave. I think he’s too weak in the air to carve a career out at this level or above in central defence, but suspect he might have all the attributes to develop into a quality right-back. What do you think? I don’t think he gets a look-in if most of our centre-backs or midfielders are fit.

Quite happy with him at RCB....his true position.

He’s an athlete, quite happy to see more of him at RB, RWB where I think he can also offer us something. CM is a nice little option to view over a period of games.

Versatility is gonna be a good asset for him to have.

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The look on his face when he scored. It was WTF, how did THAT go in?

That will be one of those that gets better and better with the telling, by the time he's telling it to his grandkids it'll be "curled it away from the keeper with the outside of my left....."

12 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

I wonder if we might have seen signs if a new position for him? A bit like Reid.  I know it was only 1 game, but not an easy opposition and some positives for sure - especially fitting in well with Nagy.  A nice change to have positive options with City at the moment.

It is not one game though, he came on v Pompey in midfield and did well and Derek McInnes played him in midfield on a number of occasions for Aberdeen. I would leave him in CDM for Norwich on Wednesday.

I like Zak playing cdm. Good accurate passing to go through the lines between defence to the attacking players. 

Doesn't mind taking the risk going forward also. Goal yesterday and also tee'd up Martin for the goal against Portsmouth, deserves huge credit. 

43 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

It is not one game though, he came on v Pompey in midfield and did well and Derek McInnes played him in midfield on a number of occasions for Aberdeen. I would leave him in CDM for Norwich on Wednesday.

Dean Holden said it was the first time he had played Zak there last week, but as you say, McInnes did last season too.  I thought Dean did last season too, but I checked back and it was in fact LJ that brought him on as sub against Sheffield Wednesday in midfield....for the last 2 mins!

6 minutes ago, 95red said:

The times he lost his marker at cb this season  and it cost a goal now he's a midfield  dynamo, yeh half decent  yesterday  but he ain't a midfielder come on behave.

Out of interest, how many times is that?  Not saying he hasn’t, but if we are being fair and consistent, how many times has Kalas done similarly?

9 minutes ago, 95red said:

At least 3 look yourself  probably  more , my point is he ain't the answer in midfield. Cb/ rb good back up to kalas, mawson and Baker when fit.

I have looked!!  That’s why I asked?

True mistakes from losing his marker at CB:

Vyner - Barnsley (a), Norwich (h), Birmingham (h) if you wanna be harsh Reading (a)

Kalas - Norwich (h), QPR (a) if you wanna be harsh Luton (a)

As for “ain’t the answer in midfield” - he was yesterday....how bizarre that is!!!  Why are we so keen on OTIB to be so definite in our judgement both pre-game when he’s only played 12 minutes in midfield and again after another 90, when actually he played well in that position.

FWIW moving from CB to Midfield is a tough ask...as I posted several times last week, but to nail your colours to the mast so early is a bit silly isn’t it.  At least observe first and then make a judgement.

13 minutes ago, 95red said:

When you start playing  players out of natural  position your in trouble ,if you think he's the answer  up to you ,I dont

No comment re Vyner in that respect as I've not seen enough of him as a DM, but he did well enough yesterday..

I agree in general with the bold bit (and Johnson had an annoying habit of doing this or getting a player in and then playing him out of position), but the game is littered with young players who started in one position and then had a good career in others. If a player has good all round ability, then most could play a number of positions perfectly well. Vyner may fall into this category and it may turn out to be his best position, but time will tell.

If he plays v Norwich, then that will give us a very good indication - but I certainly wouldn't rule him out as a DM after one pretty good game in that position.

Archived