IGNORED

Preston North End (h) – Sat 16th Jan 15:00 - Match thread.

Curr Avon

view form the other side:

"Reality is we’ve created naff all (yet again), his tactics are baffling, his subs bizarre and it was yet another 0-rating on the entertainment scale."

"Once again the 1st half wasted with his negative tactics to try to hold on to 0-0. When this failed we did not have a plan or the creativity skills, attacking intent to get us back to level terms. Again changes left too late, yes we had more of the play but still created little real goal scoring opportunities and then got hit with a sucker punch."

"Really, really poor against a very average side."

"Abysmal, epitomised by us having nothing on target second half. As so often, the subs made us worse and worse. Tiresome watching this stuff."

"Looking at our play in the final third over 90 minutes we were lucky to get '0'."

"Bad day at the office. We’ve haven’t played too bad. Few silly mistakes and haven’t really looked like scoring"

"Despite playing better and showing more attacking intent we still have not created a real decent chance. Hit with the sucker punch, game over 0-2"

"I would not agree that Bristol are poor today they find their men much better that us and are quite a threat IMO"

32 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Not a perfect performance but a much better one. A much needed result to settle our nerves.

Best overall performance for weeks and weeks and weeks.

29 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Following 10 years incarceration today was the Famshank Redemption; courtesy of Diedhiou and Zac, with a slice. 

Don’t use that on the radio or the podcast. Please.

15 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I have been negative a lot lately but I will give credit where due. That was our best performance this season, we looked a good side today.

Well played lads and Dean

It’s almost like a bit of rest and a couple of our best players being back available made the difference.

imagine if we had a full squad?

Mawson & Vyner looked very good today.  Glad Zak got his first goal.  Generally looked more up for it than of late and pressed well in the first half. Preston did have a good spell in the 2nd half and had we conceded then, it could have been a different game.  I didn't think Adelakun was very effective and although he was trying to get into the game, Palmer's output was generally poor, in fact both sermrd to be running into blind Alleys.  Good goal from Fam and a good overall contributiin from him.

Best we've seen from City for a while, but Norwich on Wednesday will provide a sterner test.

Really pleased we went 442 today, we don’t have the wing backs to play with three at the back at the moment and Kalas and Mawson are good enough on their own. Happy to see that we are utilising Vyner as the DM which gives us a more natural balance and mitigates against Palmer’s and Adelakun’s defensive deficiencies.

Would like to keep this formation rotating Martin, Diedhiou and Wells as the front 2, using Semenyo as a wide man where possible as he is much better at creating than finishing. That also gives us flexibility if we need to revert to a 433 as Semenyo can join in as a third striker.

I was generally encouraged by today. Preston had their inevitable spell second half but for the most part we looked solid at the back, marshalled superbly by Kalas and especially Mawson. Bentley had little to do other than field a comfortable shot from Sinclair in the first half and make one effective punch and take a cross shot under his bar in the second. Midfield was quietly effective with Vyner and Nagy putting out fires, while still getting forward at times. Adelakun was decent tracking back particularly well, while KP (and I'm one of his biggest critics) was generally OK for the time he was on, even if there were some heavy touches. Fammy won a load of headers and scored a really good goal, while Martin was so intelligent in finding space and his link play. Even the subs had an impact with Massengo particularly catching the eye (is his physique starting to fill out a bit). All in all a good day at the office in finally breaking our hoodoo against Preston who, for once, didn't get a penalty. 

Archived