IGNORED

Massengo

TomThumb84

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

May have been said elsewhere, but I thought he looked sharp, quick-footed and physically stronger today.

There is a very good player in there, as always, it’s how his development and confidence is managed that will decide if we see the full potential.

Completely changed the game when he came on. Couldn't get near preston before the sub then immediately were controlling the ball in their half after.

Also, how one earth was that elbow from Fisher on Massengo not a yellow minimum?

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

May have been said elsewhere, but I thought he looked sharp, quick-footed and physically stronger today.

There is a very good player in there, as always, it’s how his development and confidence is managed that will decide if we see the full potential.

Said time and time again we won't see it here. Well down the pecking order and with players to return he looks destined to be a few minutes here and there sub if even in the squad at all.

All these injuries gave him a chance to impress like Nagy has but he still has hardly had an opportunity.

May prove to be an excellent player in the future but not with us as will almost certainly leave when contract is close to expiring.

Just now, redsince1994 said:

Completely changed the game when he came on. Couldn't get near preston before the sub then immediately were controlling the ball in their half after.

Also, how one earth was that elbow from Fisher on Massengo not a yellow minimum?

Thought Fisher was a lucky boy today. He was at Deepdale too when he could have easily seen red for a couple of reckless challenges on Semenyo.

On a slightly separate note, don’t know about anyone else, but I would have been beside myself as a Preston fan, chasing a 0-1 deficit and seeing Johnson and Barkhuizen hauled off! 

4 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Said time and time again we won't see it here. Well down the pecking order and with players to return he looks destined to be a few minutes here and there sub if even in the squad at all.

All these injuries gave him a chance to impress like Nagy has but he still has hardly had an opportunity.

May prove to be an excellent player in the future but not with us as will almost certainly leave when contract is close to expiring.

You spout some absolute drivel 

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Did well today. He’s young and learning - and learning quickly if you compare today v. his last appearance on the left hand side. That’s why I don’t agree with some on here who have already written him off (at age 19)! 

Your last sentence  is just crackers really. As you say , so so young. 

Just now, M.D said:

19 years old and potentially the best footballer we have at the club, end of.

I would agree with this, but potential is the key word. How he is made to feel, his confidence, the direction of coaching him into the right type of player for his skillset etc... all these variables are crucial. Its up to the coaching team to tap into that.

I thought he looked very positive today, driving forward instead of his more usual sideways and backwards passes. He was the Massengo we saw in the first game or so, before he got injured. I think he has often played when not fully fit, and sometimes he hasn’t looked too interested. 

Today he was really up for it and even had a shot on goal! It seemed most of what he tried came off, and that will boost his confidence.

When we bought him, I remember LJ saying something along the lines of being a great defensive midfielder, and just what we needed to close out games.

Well from day one... he's never looked like a DM that could play well in the Championship. 

Imo... he's like Nagy in many ways. Better when going forward and with space. Both see a pass and better facing the opposition and going at them. Both drive well into the box as well when given opportunity.

Both Nagy and Massengo have been played not using their best assets imo...Nagy has of late, and Massengo shows when allowed.

Cisse was a DM of note... neither not these two are.

Despite the criticism from the usual quarters, I think we have the right Management team for these youngsters. 

People just need to understand that HNM or any of the kids are going to have games where they look out of their depth, only the truly exceptional players look good consistently from a young age.

I thought his shot on goal was one of the cleanest strikes we have seen for ages  (apart from Chris Martin’s v Pompey).

If he could bring that to his game more often he will add goals to his game which he didn’t look like doing at anytime during his short career.

Keep him fit!!

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

When we bought him, I remember LJ saying something along the lines of being a great defensive midfielder, and just what we needed to close out games.

Well from day one... he's never looked like a DM that could play well in the Championship. 

Imo... he's like Nagy in many ways. Better when going forward and with space. Both see a pass and better facing the opposition and going at them. Both drive well into the box as well when given opportunity.

Both Nagy and Massengo have been played not using their best assets imo...Nagy has of late, and Massengo shows when allowed.

Cisse was a DM of note... neither not these two are.

His mother was saying on Twitter that he plays attacking midfield in international matches, looked ok today in the attacking half.  If he's allowed to get more match-time we'll have a jewel on our hands in a year or so, the sort of player that if we did manage to get promoted, say, next season would not look out of place in the Prem, not many of the others you could say that about apart from Bentley and Kalas .

Archived