IGNORED

Kasey

Bassomylord

First 20 minutes I thought he was the best player on the pitch....then a couple of poor decisions in possession when should have played easy ball. Second half did a job but clearly tired.

On todays evidence i would say he is going to be a real asset for us and certainly provides a creative option that we were missing.

Well done Kasey.

3 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

First 20 minutes I thought he was the best player on the pitch....then a couple of poor decisions in possession when should have played easy ball. Second half did a job but clearly tired.

On todays evidence i would say he is going to be a real asset for us and certainly provides a creative option that we were missing.

Well done Kasey.

Saw the best and worst of Palmer today. 

Said before the game id try not to be too critical but i do get frustrated with how often he slows the game down or turns possession over.

However, as you say he was a huge part of that opening 20 which has to be the best we have played all season. 

Just now, redsince1994 said:

Saw the best and worst of Palmer today. 

Said before the game id try not to be too critical but i do get frustrated with how often he slows the game down or turns possession over.

However, as you say he was a huge part of that opening 20 which has to be the best we have played all season. 

Maybe got a little bit comfortable after the initial spell and started a few tricks and flicks when could've played a simple ball. 

Needs to cut that out as puts us under pressure.

9 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Well done Kasey.

He obviously tired....but he does more in 20 minutes than several players do in 2 or 3 games.  Use him in 55 minute chunks at the start or 30 minutes at the end...until he gets any semblance of true fitness.

Agree with all above about being tops for 20-25 mins then giving the ball away too easily. I have been equally frustrated with Bako in his past 6 games so maybe they are too similar in what we want them to do.

But, Massengo looked very sharp when he came on. 

Real big decsions where our priority is next; Norwich (almost worth playing the kids??) or Millwall as we dont need the cup run, do we?

Good that DH makes the decisions, not me and no=one else on here!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He obviously tired....but he does more in 20 minutes than several players do in 2 or 3 games.  Use him in 55 minute chunks at the start or 30 minutes at the end...until he gets any semblance of true fitness.

Agreed ... although similar to LJ, DH doesn’t seem to like to make subs until the 70 minute mark!

Easy in hindsight but I would have sat him down before the game and asked him to blast it for 45 then changed it at half-time regardless of scoreline.

Some of the things he does, his body-shape, ability to get a yard, vision, are very much needed in our side. However, there was a 5 min spell in the 2nd half where he had 3 loose touches in a row, and one of them when he was one-on-one with the left back was particularly frustrating. I can see why managers don’t trust him.

Personally I would throw all my belief behind him, make him feel special and accept the rough with the smooth, cause ability wise he is that bit of magic.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with this. Especially the first sentence.

One big frustration his time here is that he never completes 90 mins as I'm not sure he has the ability to get to that true fitness. 

Is great to have him and adekulan as options now 

5 minutes ago, boadle said:

I've said it before but he needs to be careful with the lunging tackles, especially from behind. 

If you’re referring to the tackle he made prior to getting booked for kicking the ball away, I thought he got the ball and was a fair challenge. Ref got it wrong imo. 

Didn’t see the game, but with a Player like Palmer you have to accept what he is & what he isn’t. Creative players will give the ball away at times, because they see things others don’t. The trick is to get them into the right areas so if they do give the ball away, it’s not danger stations right away. You either want a creative player or you want a Skuse ( very good player at what he did ), you ain’t getting both. The other thing he will need is movement around him, cannot comment on that today because as I said, I didn’t see the game, but usually it’s very poor. But a good 70 minutes under his belt will do him some good & if the next game he isn’t so good, tell him he’s playing the next game anyway. COYR 

Pretty sure a few seasons back De Bruyne lost possession more than any other player in the premier league......but also made the most assists. Stats can mean anything you want them to, but personally i would much rather have a player who loses the ball 9 times out of 10, if he can can also get you a goal with that other 1.

BTW i am by no means saying Palmer is anywhere near KDB level!

30 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

If you’re referring to the tackle he made prior to getting booked for kicking the ball away, I thought he got the ball and was a fair challenge. Ref got it wrong imo. 

I think there was another desperate lunge in the first half as well. Personally, I've always thought he does it too much.

7 minutes ago, boadle said:

I think there was another desperate lunge in the first half as well. Personally, I've always thought he does it too much.

Some say he is too lazy and doesnt bother trying to do any defensive work....he will never be able to win in some peoples opinion. He is what he is & i would much rather have him with us than against us, there is a real player there.

I have been a fan, I think he can do things and see things no one else in our team can. I also can see his confidence means he holds the ball too long. For a while I've wanted him to mix it up, few early quick passes, release the ball and move, otherwise opposition know what you'll do and it's easy for them. TBF he didn't have a lot of movement ahead of him to pass to, plus, the same as Paterson who looks better centrally because he can go either way, Palmer seems a little stifled wide. Saying that, there was one nice 40/50 yard ball to Hunt
I think he could do a Bobby Reid , get properly fit and have a great impact, or he could do a JET. He could coast and manage 50 minutes a game. I don't think he's been capable of 90 minutes since he signed for us. I hope he puts his head down and works to get near fitness as he has bags of talent.

7 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Some say he is too lazy and doesnt bother trying to do any defensive work....he will never be able to win in some peoples opinion. He is what he is & i would much rather have him with us than against us, there is a real player there.

I did see Diedhiou tell him to help out in defence in the 2nd half which he did respond to.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Didn’t see the game, but with a Player like Palmer you have to accept what he is & what he isn’t. Creative players will give the ball away at times, because they see things others don’t. The trick is to get them into the right areas so if they do give the ball away, it’s not danger stations right away. You either want a creative player or you want a Skuse ( very good player at what he did ), you ain’t getting both. The other thing he will need is movement around him, cannot comment on that today because as I said, I didn’t see the game, but usually it’s very poor. But a good 70 minutes under his belt will do him some good & if the next game he isn’t so good, tell him he’s playing the next game anyway. COYR 

Generally the movement around him was decent today.  Martin and Diedhiou gave good options today, and linked well with each other too.

I missed today's game so cant judge on his performance but I would love to see a combination of pato and Palmer behind 1 striker with 2 with men in a 451 or 352. Think both can tuck in a bit and both need runners off the ball. 

May seem weak but may actually see us playing the ball and keeling it. Either could be swapped with Walsh or Williams  when fit

His interview suggested that he realises he is in the last chance saloon hope he’s got the ambition in him to achieve what we all believe he’s capable of. He does need to do it in the right areas though and not keep losing the ball around the half way line and put us under pressure 

Archived