IGNORED

Palmer? Massengo? Adelukun, Semenyo?

Top Robin

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

For a while now we have tended to have too many midfield players that are very similar. The exception to that has probably been Palmer, but when he went out on loan, and with the impact of injuries, the cupboard was pretty bare. As it happened, force of circumstances saw the emergence of Bakinson, the resurgence of Nagy and  it seems a flicker of HNM’s potential.

For pretty well all of this season the main grievance has been the paucity of any real attacking threat and, whatever fans might think of him, Palmer seems to be the one player in our squad that has the ability to create, do something different, but crucially make us a threat going forward, as was evidenced in the first half today. Most criticism seems to focus on what he doesn’t do, but perhaps we need to look at what he can, and does, do and start getting this out of him.

Is it coincidence that today he started in a midfield that included an inform Nagy? Early last season some of our best football came prior to Afobe’s injury when the midfield featured Palmer and Nagy. It also featured HNM!

Perhaps the crucial question is not whether one player is better than another, but which combination of players produces the best performance. It is not the best 11 players that necessarily produces the best team.

Palmer is still learning and needs to have regular game time where he can make , and learn from, his mistakes.

For example don’t fanny about in your own penalty area , clear the football.

He will break opposition lines with his style but if he loses the ball we are often caught out .

His teammates need to be ready for this and help him out .

If you don’t take risks you play the ball square or backwards with no danger at all to the opposing team which is what we have been painfully guilty of for much of this injury ravaged season so far.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Palmer is still learning and needs to have regular game time where he can make , and learn from, his mistakes.

He will break opposition lines with his style but if he loses the ball we are often caught out .

If you don’t take risks you play the ball square or backwards with no danger at all to the opposing team which is what we have been painfully guilty of for much of this injury ravaged season so far.

If he could do all the things he is good at but also never make a mistake,  tracked back relentlessly, never misplaced a pass or lost the ball around our own penalty area he would be nowhere near Ashton Gate but would be playing in the prem.

If he were a journeyman midfielder, with solid work rate, playing simple short passes sideways and backwards to minimise risk and avoid mistakes,, I reckon he would easily fit in at any of the numerous clubs he’s been at on loan. These players are two a penny and pretty well what we’ve tended to have in abundance, but what we’ve lacked is someone with his flair, the pace and power to break lines and the ability to see and delver a killer pass. 

If we want someone like that at our level, perhaps we have to accept that there will be aspects of his game that are not so strong and, as you say, this means other players covering for his weaknessesm coaching to keep him away from our own box, improve his tackling ability and when to play a simple but safe pass. 

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Whilst educating us with your FACTS

Any chance you could at least spell players names correctly

You've repeatedly referred to ‘Adlekun’. 

Its Adelakun.  ........... FACT

I won’t need to spell it correctly soon as he want be playing, be on the bench or be at the club.... 

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Based on today, I'd say that Adelekun looks nowhere near a championship player. 

Palmer started very positively and then slipped back to his usual. Ineffective frustrating state. 

Massengo looked like a different player..! Really positive and strong. Very different to his usual tidy but ineffective contribution. 

Semenyo always looks likely to do something (other than score..!) this season. Looks like he could make it at this level, in time. 

Can't wait to have Weimann, Paterson and other proper championship players back in contention. 

I still don’t understand the Pato and Weimann love in

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s all about coaching. He needs to do the tricks further up the pitch not near the half way line. 

Once he loses it he needs to track back. If he can’t track back don’t loose the ball.  

It’s up to him as to how good he can be. Has he got the attitude to match the talent.

He is a player that on his day you would pay to see and that’s why we all watch football. 

2 minutes ago, Better Red said:

It’s all about coaching. He needs to do the tricks further up the pitch not near the half way line. 

Once he loses it he needs to track back. If he can’t track back don’t loose the ball.  

It’s up to him as to how good he can be. Has he got the attitude to match the talent.

He is a player that on his day you would pay to see and that’s why we all watch football. 

I assume that you are talking about Plamer.

:innocent06:

11 hours ago, Better Red said:

Seen enough of him it’s a fact.

Do you really think he will be in the team in when Symenyo, Paterson, Walsh, Williams , Sessenyon, D’Silva...

Or even on the bench ?  That’s at least 6 who would be in before him. 

Repeating the same mistake I see.  

A fact is a thing that is known or proved to be true.

An opinion is a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based .on fact or knowledge.

What you're doing there is stating an opinion and trying to insist to 100s if not 1000s of perfectly intelligent people that it's a fact. 

The thing that having injuries and Covid problems does is gives opportunities to fringe players who are getting a chance to play without feeling under pressure from the crowd. We’re also seeing players return like Mawson who steadies our defence. I think that this is a good thing and will create competition for places. Dean will also be able to throw players into the mix knowing that they have had some game time. The more this happens the less of a risk it becomes. Dean can now look at players who are lacking in confidence and freshen it up.

I enjoyed yesterday’s game. There were times when we sailed close to the wind a bit, but the substitutions offered us something different and I thought Massengo had a good game. He was a menace and got on the ball and prevented Preston from building up momentum.

This situation has forced Dean’s hand a bit, but I think it has given him more options as a result and this can only be a positive thing.

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I still don’t understand the Pato and Weimann love in

If the time they've been out of the team hasn't shown you how important they are to us, then there is really no point in trying to explain it to you..! 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

If he could do all the things he is good at but also never make a mistake,  tracked back relentlessly, never misplaced a pass or lost the ball around our own penalty area he would be nowhere near Ashton Gate but would be playing in the prem.

If he were a journeyman midfielder, with solid work rate, playing simple short passes sideways and backwards to minimise risk and avoid mistakes,, I reckon he would easily fit in at any of the numerous clubs he’s been at on loan. These players are two a penny and pretty well what we’ve tended to have in abundance, but what we’ve lacked is someone with his flair, the pace and power to break lines and the ability to see and delver a killer pass. 

If we want someone like that at our level, perhaps we have to accept that there will be aspects of his game that are not so strong and, as you say, this means other players covering for his weaknessesm coaching to keep him away from our own box, improve his tackling ability and when to play a simple but safe pass. 

The trick with Palmer is to spot when he’s gone off the boil in a game (or on occasion hasn’t even arrived) and replace him. Massengo comes on yesterday, shows nice feet but more importantly keeps possession of the football and it’s a different game. In hindsight it might have been changed 10 minutes earlier.

However in the first twenty minutes Palmer showed us the damage he can do when he is “on it” and you wouldn’t even contemplate hooking him whilst he is doing that. If he gives us 75 minutes of that we are generally going to be comfortably ahead......when he doesn’t we are a man short so managing it is the key.

16 hours ago, mozo said:

The evidence...every time he gets an opportunity he impresses but a few games later his form drops off and he loses his place. I worry that happens again. I mean, there's a reason we sent him out on loan and that reason was not that we felt he was the answer to our needs.

Don't get me wrong, he was brilliant to begin with today and was brilliant in the cup earlier in the season. He showed some brilliance under LJ but we know the rest of the story.

There's a reason Paterson was sent out on loan last season too.

Is he also not good enough?

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If the time they've been out of the team hasn't shown you how important they are to us, then there is really no point in trying to explain it to you..! 

Maybe important to us. But they’re bang average championship players.

that’s the point I’m trying to make.

22 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Maybe important to us. But they’re bang average championship players.

that’s the point I’m trying to make.

I would think that both would probably get into most (granted, not all) other championship teams. 

The exceptions probably being those recently relegated, who have wither stronger squads or parachute money. 

Most other sides would probably be thankful 9f players with their records at this level, or avove in AW's case. 

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

Whenever I go to a restaurant I always ask for an "Oasis Salad" because you get a roll with it.

At his previous club Famara was wary of getting mugged in the street, so was constantly looking over his shoulder to be sure. Unfortunately this led to a number of injuries when he stubbed his toe because he wasn't looking where he was going.

The club was concerned but Famara told them "it’s not a problem as  I now use  Oasis security

“What’s Oasis security?” they asked "

“ I Don’t look back in Angers”.

My coat’s already round my shoulders. 

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

At his previous club Famara was wary of getting mugged in the street, so was constantly looking over his shoulder to be sure. Unfortunately this led to a number of injuries when he stubbed his toe because he wasn't looking where he was going.

The club was concerned but Famara told them "it’s not a problem as  I now use  Oasis security

“What’s Oasis security?” they asked "

“ I Don’t look back in Angers”.

My coat’s already round my shoulders. 

My missus said she was going to leave me because of my obsession with The Monkees.

I didn`t think she was serious but then I saw her face...........................

17 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

My missus said she was going to leave me because of my obsession with The Monkees.

I didn`t think she was serious but then I saw her face...........................

A guy phones a gardening programme to say that he’s tried everything but just cannot grow tulips.

One of the panel tells him what to do. “You get a small dead rodent from your local pet shop ,chop it up and put it into a pan with a pound of caster sugar, heat it on the stove until it is boiling and the mixture thickens, then let it cool"

He went on, “ when it is cool, dig a hole for your bulbs and fill the bottom with gravel, as you normally would, but then put a layer of your sweet rodent conserve on top of the gravel, plant your bulbs and fill the holes with normal garden soil"

The caller queried this, “ that sounds ludicrous, but are you sure it works?"

“Of course it does” replies the expert “ because everyone knows you get tulips from hamster jam"

Im putting  my overcoat on on top of the jacket I put on earlier!

Archived