IGNORED

4-1-3-2 V Norwich?

mightyreds89

Norwich will be a much different task to today game. They will move the ball quicker and dominate possession. They don’t play wingers from what I can tell. Today looked like a 4-2-3-1.

HNM seems to play better against the teams that are more attractive on the eye like Norwich. So I’d start him especially off the back of today’s cameo and for his energy that we’ll need. When we played them at home Chris Brunt started and the game past him by we didn’t have enough energy in midfield.

I’d stick with the 4 at the back that looked solid, with Vyner sitting behind a 3 with the energy of HNM and Naggy (HNM always appears to play better with Naggy). I’d rest Martin if Semenyo is available I’d start him to provide some pace and workrate but also link with Palmer which he did in the Northampton match. If not I’d probably start Wells and through the middle when he came on today in a 2 he was in the areas you’d have wanted centrally. 

Bentley

Hunt        Kalas           Mawson         Rowe                  

Vyner 

Massengo      Naggy          Palmer 

Diédhiou    Semenyo 

thoughts? 

30 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Norwich will be a much different task to today game. They will move the ball quicker and dominate possession. They don’t play wingers from what I can tell. Today looked like a 4-2-3-1.

HNM seems to play better against the teams that are more attractive on the eye like Norwich. So I’d start him especially off the back of today’s cameo and for his energy that we’ll need. When we played them at home Chris Brunt started and the game past him by we didn’t have enough energy in midfield.

I’d stick with the 4 at the back that looked solid, with Vyner sitting behind a 3 with the energy of HNM and Naggy (HNM always appears to play better with Naggy). I’d rest Martin if Semenyo is available I’d start him to provide some pace and workrate but also link with Palmer which he did in the Northampton match. If not I’d probably start Wells and through the middle when he came on today in a 2 he was in the areas you’d have wanted centrally. 

Bentley

Vyner 

Diédhiou    Semenyo 

thoughts? 

If we are worried about their energy then Palmer is the one we leave out. From what I've seen Adelukan is much better off the ball and keeps shape better. That is key when dealing with a busy side.  We got pulled all over the place at home to them as we had nothing in the middle.   I agree about leaving Martin out though away to Norwich - I think we'll need a physical and hardworking front 2 and that would mean the 2 you've picked.

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If we are worried about their energy then Palmer is the one we leave out. From what I've seen Adelukan is much better off the ball and keeps shape better. That is key when dealing with a busy side.  We got pulled all over the place at home to them as we had nothing in the middle.   I agree about leaving Martin out though away to Norwich - I think we'll need a physical and hardworking front 2 and that would mean the 2 you've picked.

I wouldn’t disagree normally about Palmer but he worked and tracked and kept his shape/discipline very well today, better than I can recall in previous appearances. 

For me the big decisions are - stick with Palmer even though we'll have less of the ball? - bring Semenyo back in? - play Adelakun?

We have to decide if we're going to Norwich to be hard to beat or going to Norwich on the front foot.

Tough decisions, the only thing you cam be sure about is whatever Holden goes for, if we lose lots of expert 'managers' on here will say they would have gone with the opposite ?

10 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Bentley

Vyner 

Diédhiou    Semenyo 

thoughts? 

Add Martin.

Seymeyo or Bakinson for Massengo (bench)

Otherwise that’s the team that should start.

Glad to see you have Adlekun on the bench.

I don't like the idea of both Massengo/Palmer as wings, means not enough pace or width. If we went with your lineup I'd switch it to a 4141 with Vyner sitting, Nagy and Massengo as the 2 8's and Semenyo on the right. However it's worked in the last 2 games with 2 up top so I think instead I'd play either palmer or massengo on the left and adelukan/semenyo on the right with Wells and Fammy or Martin up top depending on who has recovered better by Wed (we'll spend a lot of time without the ball so I think fresh legs up front will be good as they have to work very hard in this formation).

3 hours ago, Better Red said:

Add Martin.

Seymeyo or Bakinson for Massengo (bench)

Otherwise that’s the team that should start.

Glad to see you have Adlekun on the bench.

We all know you don’t rate Adelakun very highly but why mention it in practically every single post? You won’t change the minds of those that are prepared to wait and see before condemning out of hand just because you repeat the same stuff post after post. It’s an unhealthy obsession you are growing there............

The shape of the team is what matters. Defence, midfielders and forwards in pretty much any formation you like.

Fact is formations constantly change throughout any match. Deano calls it ‘fluidity’ and works on it at Failand so the players become familiar with the idea of team shape. It’s becomes instinctive to them.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The shape of the team is what matters. Defence, midfielders and forwards in pretty much any formation you like.

Fact is formations constantly change throughout any match. Deano calls it ‘fluidity’ and works on it at Failand so the players become familiar with the idea of team shape. It’s becomes instinctive to them.

The shape is key, however if we spend a solid 25 minutes handing possession of the ball to Norwich like we did Preston you can play in any shape you like, the end result will be the same........they have quality that Preston don’t and will make us pay.

To me, that’s the issue the coaches have to try and solve before Wednesday.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

True

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The shape is key, however if we spend a solid 25 minutes handing possession of the ball to Norwich like we did Preston you can play in any shape you like, the end result will be the same........they have quality that Preston don’t and will make us pay.

True, also.

???

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Absolutely so. Norwich are top side and are red hot favourites for promotion from the Championship.

If City can avoid defeat at Carrow Rd I’ll be both surprised and delighted!

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know you don’t rate Adelakun very highly but why mention it in practically every single post? You won’t change the minds of those that are prepared to wait and see before condemning out of hand just because you repeat the same stuff post after post. It’s an unhealthy obsession you are growing there............

My unhealthy obsession is Bristol City Football Club. 

Not looking to change people minds just get them to share them.

Your unhealthy obsession appears to be my opinions... 

Martin needs benching/resting depending on how you’ve seen his performances.

semenyo and fam for me up top. Stick with Same lineup as Preston otherwise to start with as aim should be to agent aggressive and take game to them. Palmer will provide that progression and passing through the final third. Massengo and bakinson can then come on for energy and solidity later on

We’ll probably go unchanged and I wouldn’t have a problem with that. However just for fun, I’d go with...

Bents

Hunt        Kalas       Mawson     Rowe

Vyner

Palmer                  Nagy        Semenyo

Fam      Wells

Archived