IGNORED

A Preston View of City on Saturday - really good read

Davefevs

6 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

"So, in possession, Holden’s side were direct, aggressive, bold and exciting. " 

I suspect the author is also under the misapprehension that Trump won the election and Mrs Brown's Boys is funny

Might be a tad over-complimentary, but do you not think for periods of the game we were that?  Mawson clattering Johnson in the 6th minute set the tone for me.  It’s a long time since I’ve seen any City player tackle someone and it put them off their game.

image.png.72646a20c178c03e9a2dc2184aa9dcac.png

Here we can see an easy ball to the left which creates a 1v1 overload with a dynamic advantage and also a 3 vs 3 overload with dynamic advantage. We can also NOT see Darnell Fisher as he's either Holding Width creating another 1v1 OVERLOAD with a dynamic advantage OR he's been sent to jail for HOLDING SOMETHING ELSE without permission again.

I just hope our improvements are as a result of having a longer period of time training and planning as a group and not because we had a good day/Preston a bad day. 

I am positive it was impart due to certain players returning and/or being played where they were, but I also think it’s the first real spell we have had this season , without the pressure of planning and prepping for a game every 3days meaning the coaching staff have worked on things they want to improve and implement. 

Was this a glimpse of Dean Holdens identity and style of play he spoke about wanting to achieve. 

Seriously hope he is given the time as our head coach as he couldn’t of taken over for a more bizarre first season. 

7 minutes ago, Prinny said:

image.png.72646a20c178c03e9a2dc2184aa9dcac.png

Here we can see an easy ball to the left which creates a 1v1 overload with a dynamic advantage and also a 3 vs 3 overload with dynamic advantage. We can also NOT see Darnell Fisher as he's either Holding Width creating another 1v1 OVERLOAD with a dynamic advantage OR he's been sent to jail for HOLDING SOMETHING ELSE without permission again.

Here, you are hoping Hunt, who looks like he’s already on his way over to pick up Sinclair, is passing over Johnson to Kalas (with Vyner screening).  We can’t see Mawson or Rowe unfortunately.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not really.....it’s actually describing how City won the game and how it impacted Preston.  

When I read people say we’ll play 442 but it’ll become 451 without the ball, I would like to ask them how do they get back to 442 once back in possession, but I’m generally not that rude....nor do I think I have all the answers either.  I do love chatting / posting about this stuff though.

I put the post up for those people who like to read in depth stuff.  It’s not for everyone.

To me football is a simple game and I really like what Deano said when he commented ‘too much emphasis is put on formations, It’s about the players and fluidity’.......and to answer your  question of how shapes/formations change when in and then out of possession - it happens because the players are trained to react instinctively. It’s an important  part of the training at Failand. Every player knows what his job in or out of possession and possibly the failure of KP to do that consistently could be why he’s been farmed out on loan and in and out of the team.

We saw a different more energetic KP against PNE.

City1.png.f554a20accad81eaf1b334cdf4ed68e2.png

So while the author of this piece claims it to be an example of the 4-3-3 what's really happening as demonstrated by adding more lines is an example of something actually discussed by Holden earlier in last year which then wasn't really put into practice much.

We have multiple defenders marking one forward, so Nagy steps up and the defender moves into midfield. A 3-1-3-3 turning into 3-4-3 potentially. 

This is actually really encouraging. I wonder if Mawson being back has enabled Nagy to be allowed/be more confident of going up and pressing in that situation, whereas if you have less confidence in your central defenders to make smart decisions you won't trust someone to step up at the correct times and leave big gaps.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

City aim to overload one side here but maintain 2 strikers in the box and the opposite full back holds width. Even though there is a small 2v2, they have the dynamic advantage in this situation. Again, PNE defend with 9

Except... it's a two vs two not an overload. and Palmer isn't trying to create one. And it's 6 vs 4 in the middle. I'm not sure when overload meant the same number of players and dynamic advantage meant the team is attacking...

I think there's a danger of being overwhelmed by volume in the mass picture example posts. Do people really check each image to see that the author actually is using them correctly? The general concept is fine in that formations are fluid (duh!) and that managers and teams try to create overloads (duh! x2) but quite a few of these examples are way off.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here, you are hoping Hunt, who looks like he’s already on his way over to pick up Sinclair, is passing over Johnson to Kalas (with Vyner screening).  We can’t see Mawson or Rowe unfortunately.

I don't know what it's called in football, in the NFL it's ALL 22 or Coaches film, but is there a term for the whole pitch shot (maybe there aren't any at non sky games) and can you watch a version of the game with a full pitch under any of the scouting services you subscribe to?

11 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I'm confused.  Does this mean we're not shit after all?  ?

We won the last game, so we're amazing again and soaring towards the playoffs and certain promotion.

Until the next game we lose, at which point we'll be in relegation form over the last 1 game, and the manager should be immediately relieved of his duties.

8 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

We won the last game, so we're amazing again and soaring towards the playoffs and certain promotion.

Until the next game we lose, at which point we'll be in relegation form over the last 1 game, and the manager should be immediately relieved of his duties.

Well, yes. Otherwise we reside and dwell in uncertainty, which is an unpleasant state of anxiety, and tension. A state of not-knowing. A condition most people on this planet - even the cool, rational sorts on here - spend much of their lives avoiding, or trying to.

Of this, I am absolutely certain and in no doubt whatsoever. And anyone who disagrees can shut their face, and go do one.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To me football is a simple game and I really like what Deano said when he commented ‘too much emphasis is put on formations, It’s about the players and fluidity’.......and to answer your  question of how shapes/formations change when in and then out of possession - it happens because the players are trained to react instinctively. It’s an important  part of the training at Failand. Every player knows what his job in or out of possession and possibly the failure of KP to do that consistently could be why he’s been farmed out on loan and in and out of the team.

We saw a different more energetic KP against PNE.

I think we all (most of us anyway) understand what you’ve said above....but the point of the article is to discuss and explain how and why it happened and what impact it had.

Its this kind of analysis that City’s performance analysts will be presenting back to Dean and his staff post-match....albeit much will be done with video (accompanied by freeze frame and circles and arrows) like we see on Sky on the telestrator.

It’s v.good observation and understanding from Oli - and in fairness unless you write articles like this it wouldn’t even register with the vast majority of fans who just watch a game in a non-analytical way.

Btw, it’s fine for fans to watch a game in whatever manner they like.

31 minutes ago, Prinny said:

City1.png.f554a20accad81eaf1b334cdf4ed68e2.png

So while the author of this piece claims it to be an example of the 4-3-3 what's really happening as demonstrated by adding more lines is an example of something actually discussed by Holden earlier in last year which then wasn't really put into practice much.

We have multiple defenders marking one forward, so Nagy steps up and the defender moves into midfield. A 3-1-3-3 turning into 3-4-3 potentially. 

This is actually really encouraging. I wonder if Mawson being back has enabled Nagy to be allowed/be more confident of going up and pressing in that situation, whereas if you have less confidence in your central defenders to make smart decisions you won't trust someone to step up at the correct times and leave big gaps.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

City aim to overload one side here but maintain 2 strikers in the box and the opposite full back holds width. Even though there is a small 2v2, they have the dynamic advantage in this situation. Again, PNE defend with 9

Except... it's a two vs two not an overload. and Palmer isn't trying to create one. And it's 6 vs 4 in the middle. I'm not sure when overload meant the same number of players and dynamic advantage meant the team is attacking...

I think there's a danger of being overwhelmed by volume in the mass picture example posts. Do people really check each image to see that the author actually is using them correctly? The general concept is fine in that formations are fluid (duh!) and that managers and teams try to create overloads (duh! x2) but quite a few of these examples are way off.

I think overload is used / mis-used (you decide) when there is not a “+1” defender.  I’d probably not call it an overload either when it’s 1v1 or 2v2 either...but there is a clear desire from teams to gets a ratio of 1:1 or better as if your player gets past his man, then you’ve really exposed them.

As for your first para, yes, encouraging.....at last!

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

It really is laughable isn't it.

This was very interesting.   Thanks @Davefevs.  I must admit I can't see much of this type of thing unfolding when watching the game live.  I can recognise a good team performance, when a press is working, and appreciate the contribution players like Nagy, but it's not always easy to see how it's being orchestrated.   

I guess all this is evolution of the game, but I do miss the time when it was more spontaneous, games were more open and a flair player like George Best could just destroy a team by his individual brilliance.   

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This was a very interesting read but I’m not convinced it was about the match I watched.

There’s been many a time, following a City game,  that I've not been convinced that posts on OTIB have been about the match that I watched.

In fact, on many match day threads and post match threads it sometimes appears that different fans have been watching 3 or 4 different games.

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There’s been many a time, following a City game,  that I've not been convinced that posts on OTIB have been about the match that I watched.

In fact, on many match day threads and post match threads it sometimes appears that different fans have been watching 3 or 4 different games.

Tends to happen when people have already decided what their narrative will be, regardless of what actually happens during the match.

47 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Tends to happen when people have already decided what their narrative will be, regardless of what actually happens during the match.

There's a bit in all of us that says we see what we want to see. 

With most that is balanced by some objectivity, but with some their viewpoint seems totally subjective. 

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What the hell is ‘a contextual space’?

Is it where part of the pitch has a player or players in it? So where there is no player it's a non contextual space or somewhat boring by comparison? 

Either way plain English should ALWAYS be used in the conjugation of sentences. Some arse coming out with poppycock nonsense deserves an enjoyable slap. 

Archived