IGNORED

How good has Diedhiou been and can City afford to lose him?

DanCarter25

13 minutes ago, DanCarter25 said:

Would people be happy to disrupt the wage structure to keep him at Ashton Gate?

If he wants to become our highest earner? No, not in the current financial climate because it would probably represent a significant wage increase for him compared to what he's probably on now compared to say Kalas.

16 minutes ago, DanCarter25 said:

Why City can’t lose Diedhiou

I had a look into how well Famara has been playing this season in comparison with other strikers despite his limited appearances, and why it’s so obvious that if he wants to sign he should remain at the club. Would people be happy to disrupt the wage structure to keep him at Ashton Gate?

No. He shouldn't offered a new deal even on the same terms he is on now. A good servant a decent forward thank you for your service. 

We want prem football....we won't get that with Diedhiou up top.

4 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

No. He shouldn't offered a new deal even on the same terms he is on now. A good servant a decent forward thank you for your service. 

I'd offer him a new deal to use him off the bench at least, don't have anyone who has as good an impact on games. In the summer Dean is going to need to examine what system he wants to play and what strikers will be primarily used in that system. We're seeing basically every combination we've got in the first half of the season for batches.

4 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

If I were Famara, like all players I’d want the best deal possible and if City offer such a deal then great. However  Ashton has a budget to stay within and maybe Famara can get a better financial package by moving abroad and that includes Boro..........:colder:

If he goes then he’ll definitely be missed for the remainder of this season. It’s probably not coincidence that he’s hit some form recently.......

Martin can fill the vacancy of course but if he gets injured then the cupboard is bare in terms of a powerful striker.

All that said......if City do reach the PL I imagine that there’d be lots of summer activity in and out and should Famara stay he could be one out the door. This is not an easy position for anyone.

Top goal scorer the last couple of seasons, player of the season last year, a guaranteed 12 goals or so in the team, top scorer this season so far as well I believe with double the goals per 90m compared to Wells, Martin, Paterson and Semenyo (as well as everyone else bar Kasey(!).

I'd definitely try and keep him - don't know about highest earner but I'd give him a decent bump to stay personally. I think he's great.

If we play Famara in the way we have the last 2 games, then I’d want to keep him.  I don’t think you’d need to make him the highest paid player to do that.

If you’re gonna play him the way he has been used until recently, then I’m less worried.

The contract situation complicates things, because he could sign a pre-contract today and leave for nothing in July.  I’d worry about any player’s commitment to the cause in that situation, especially as the season end gets closer.  I don’t care that Fam loves the club, there will be a point when he might not be 100% committed.

So, either get a contract signed, if he won’t by end of this week....start touting his services.

Would be huge failing of Mark Ashton to lose him on a freebie.

17 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Keep him if we can. As others have said, replacing him would cost £5-6m and we can`t afford that ATM.

Sometimes you don`t know what you`ve got till it`s gone.

...unless our wonderful recruitment team can find the right player cheaper from somewhere or as a free in the summer....but I totally get your sentiments.

Just now, Davefevs said:

...unless our wonderful recruitment team can find the right player cheaper from somewhere or as a free in the summer....but I totally get your sentiments.

Definitely has to be considered. The likes of Kodjia and Fam weren’t obvious signings and they both have proved to be successful. Could be someone out there we don’t even know exists 

SL told us not to get too attached to players, and generally I don't, but Fammy is not only a good player but an endearing character who has earned the affection of the fans.

I'd rather not have 8 different players each season and a team we can hardly identify with, so imo characters like Fammy who have proved their worth should be kept if possible.

We might replace with better but a good chance we wouldn't so go all out to keep him within reason.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Alongside Martin or on his own he is very good. 

Up top with Wells or Weimann he struggles. 

Last couple of games he has been very impressive. I bet Holden regrets not going with Martin and Fam earlier than he has.

Not sure we’ve seen anywhere near enough of Diedhiou and Wells together to be sure.  Just circa 200 minutes together this season.  I thought Derby last season there was an inkling...but we played a bit more direct that night...and Wells was feeding off Fam flicks.

It's a real tough decision, this. 

I suspect from the board's perspective it makes little sense to renew his contract. If they genuinely want PL football, I don't think he's good enough. If they view him as an investment, there's no chance they will recoup anywhere near the £5.3m spent on him regardless of him signing a new deal or not. 

I personally value Fammy's contribution in both boxes, but that view is based on the level of football we're at now. I don't think he's going to improve at his age and for him, this should be the most lucrative contract of his career. If he can get better terms elsewhere, good luck to him. 

He's done a lot better than many of our fans have made out. So many times I've seen him called shit (he isn't). 

Is he a starter who will get us up - no. Is he a better than average championship player - yes. So if it would be good if we could hang on to him if he is happy to be a squad player/back-up.

Interesting read this thread. Keeping Fammy or not seems to hinge on how serious we are about getting to the Prem. We've all heard the official line, but then actions and our record of selling our best and recruiting potential rather indicates that the Prem is a Board pipedream rather than something we are actively striving to achieve (King's new clothes and all that). Personally I'd keep Fammy -  he's a better than average Championship player, IMO, and we are no better than that as a club or likely to be.

For the money it would cost to replace him, we can't afford to lose him. 

He's consistently one of, if not the highest scorer for us most years. 

Pundits love him, other supporters talk highly of him, it just seems that there's a fascination here that we need a player to give stick to every year. When he first signed, his touch wasn't great, and to be fair at times it still isn't. However he has improved his all round game. 

People on this board raved about Wells for years, and how we should push the boat out and sign him or someone like him. Now we have him, he's a bit marmite in some people's eyes.

If we play a system that suits the likes of Fam and Nahki, then we see more goals.

I'm expecting that he will leave for maybe £2-3m this window, depending on who wants him, or if not he will go for free at the end of the season. I think if he (or even the club) wanted to sort it, then it would have been done by now.

52 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He's done a lot better than many of our fans have made out. So many times I've seen him called shit (he isn't). 

Is he a starter who will get us up - no. Is he a better than average championship player - yes. So if it would be good if we could hang on to him if he is happy to be a squad player/back-up.

As with a few other players, too many fans only focus on what he does not do well, but fail to recognise what he does well and it’s value to the team.

Many will only start to recognise what he bought to the team when he’s no longer here.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If we play Famara in the way we have the last 2 games, then I’d want to keep him.  I don’t think you’d need to make him the highest paid player to do that.

If you’re gonna play him the way he has been used until recently, then I’m less worried.

The contract situation complicates things, because he could sign a pre-contract today and leave for nothing in July.  I’d worry about any player’s commitment to the cause in that situation, especially as the season end gets closer.  I don’t care that Fam loves the club, there will be a point when he might not be 100% committed.

So, either get a contract signed, if he won’t by end of this week....start touting his services.

Would be huge failing of Mark Ashton to lose him on a freebie.

I’ve been highly critical of Famara over the last 2 seasons and whilst he’s playing well currently the chances he has missed in that period for me was not good enough for a club looking to progress. You probably have the stats but i think it was 20 missed chances that you would expect a striker to score.

I like his work ethic and i like his attitude, I’m just not sure i think he’s good enough 

There is no reason at all that we wont sell him if an offer comes in, it is not the BCFC way to keep players when there`s a sniff of a profit available.

18/19 transfers players in; £8.5m, players sold £23.3m

19/20 transfers players in; £15m, players sold £37m

Figures taken from googled bcfc transfers, those 2 seasons/years show large profits from transfers, so where is it then? :dunno:

If we are to be serious about a prem challenge we are going to have to keep good players and add to them

Just now, glos old boy said:

There is no reason at all that we wont sell him if an offer comes in, it is not the BCFC way to keep players when there`s a sniff of a profit available.

Figures taken from googled bcfc transfers, those 2 seasons/years show large profits from transfers, so where is it then? :dunno:

If we are to be serious about a prem challenge we are going to have to keep good players and add to them

I stand to be corrected by others more au fait with  the club’s finances, but I think the simple answer is that the profit on transfers offset the losses the club incurred during the same period ( mainly due to the wage bill?), and without which we would almost certainly have fallen foul of ffp.

10 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Football clubs make huge losses - these deals help balance the books. It isn’t the Bristol City way - it’s pretty much THE way unless you are Barcelona.

Archived