IGNORED

How good has Diedhiou been and can City afford to lose him?

DanCarter25

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I'd offer him a new deal to use him off the bench at least, don't have anyone who has as good an impact on games. In the summer Dean is going to need to examine what system he wants to play and what strikers will be primarily used in that system. We're seeing basically every combination we've got in the first half of the season for batches.

This is the problem. We need to improve and using off the bench on a decent wedge limits the opportunity to get someone better in.....we are stuck with Wells and Martin.....sell diedhiou frees wages plus some more we have in the bank to get someone better.

57 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I’ve been highly critical of Famara over the last 2 seasons and whilst he’s playing well currently the chances he has missed in that period for me was not good enough for a club looking to progress. You probably have the stats but i think it was 20 missed chances that you would expect a striker to score.

I like his work ethic and i like his attitude, I’m just not sure i think he’s good enough 

If Fam ain't good enough I don't know where you would even begin to start with Martin and Wells...............because I would have him in the side all day long over both of those two.

Big question is, if he got his big contract would his performance drop off

At the moment he is in the shop window for a potential move and to encourage the best deal possible from us. So motivation is high.

I would say that if he has not signed within 1 week it is clear he is running down his contract to get a great deal as a free agent.

In this case better to sell for whatever we can get for him. We will not go down and we aren't going up so this is a low risk strategy. $1,5-2million instead of having him come of the bench for the rest of season looks sensible. For his salary perhaps we could get a decent loan.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Big question is, if he got his big contract would his performance drop off

At the moment he is in the shop window for a potential move and to encourage the best deal possible from us. So motivation is high.

I would say that if he has not signed within 1 week it is clear he is running down his contract to get a great deal as a free agent.

In this case better to sell for whatever we can get for him. We will not go down and we aren't going up so this is a low risk strategy. $1,5-2million instead of having him come of the bench for the rest of season looks sensible. For his salary perhaps we could get a decent loan.

You're assuming we could get that much for him with 6 months left, teams will be looking to low ball us massively for him in the current climate.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Fam ain't good enough I don't know where you would even begin to start with Martin and Wells...............because I would have him in the side all day long over both of those two.

As said - he’s playing well currently but he still has an ability to miss very easy chances 

We also clearly don’t play to Wells strengths, that’s another Bristol city blunder 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

There is no reason at all that we wont sell him if an offer comes in, it is not the BCFC way to keep players when there`s a sniff of a profit available.

18/19 transfers players in; £8.5m, players sold £23.3m

19/20 transfers players in; £15m, players sold £37m

Figures taken from googled bcfc transfers, those 2 seasons/years show large profits from transfers, so where is it then? :dunno:

If we are to be serious about a prem challenge we are going to have to keep good players and add to them

Simple answer ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I stand to be corrected by others more au fait with  the club’s finances, but I think the simple answer is that the profit on transfers offset the losses the club incurred during the same period ( mainly due to the wage bill?), and without which we would almost certainly have fallen foul of ffp.

Numerical view ⬇️⬇️⬇️ 

6C581049-B222-402E-89C3-5FE97714260D.thumb.jpeg.3d4c20fa130bbf89b505926184100318.jpeg

Whilst not forgetting we didn’t get £20m for Webster for example, because we owed Ipswich a sell-on fee, so say 15%, that’s £3m less.  Ditto Brownhill, we had to give Preston some of the £7m fee.  Same with Kodjia (Angers), Pack (Cheltenham) etc.  Christ, even Swindon got money from the Flint sale!!

Every £1m we spend in transfer fees on day a 4 year contract costs us £250k each year in amortisation...let alone wages.

2 hours ago, Calculus said:

Interesting read this thread. Keeping Fammy or not seems to hinge on how serious we are about getting to the Prem. We've all heard the official line, but then actions and our record of selling our best and recruiting potential rather indicates that the Prem is a Board pipedream rather than something we are actively striving to achieve (King's new clothes and all that). Personally I'd keep Fammy -  he's a better than average Championship player, IMO, and we are no better than that as a club or likely to be.

Emperors (new clothes).

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I’ve been highly critical of Famara over the last 2 seasons and whilst he’s playing well currently the chances he has missed in that period for me was not good enough for a club looking to progress. You probably have the stats but i think it was 20 missed chances that you would expect a striker to score.

I like his work ethic and i like his attitude, I’m just not sure i think he’s good enough 

Lee Johnson described Fam as a confidence player and his form recently, and throughout his time here would back that up. Sometimes his touch, hold up play and finishing is high quality. In other spells not so. 

He's certainly put himself in the shop window with his recent goals. 

He’s never going to be a 20 + goals per season player but I’d keep him, if his financial demands are within reason. He adds more to the team than just goals and just needs to be partnered with the correct goal scoring partner. If he went, how much would it cost to replace him?  Even with a replacement who has a good track record there’s no guarantee he would be a success at City. Better to stick with the devil you know 

2 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I also don't get this obsession with "missing chances". All forwards will miss chances. Didn't Aubamayang hit the post from 3 yards last night, for example?

Plus, right now, Fam has the joint 4th best shots/goals ratio in the Champ - currently scoring with every 4th shot he takes. He's 16th for shots on target as well, getting over half of his shots this season on target. I know stats can tell a story but find me a player that can match that, with our current midfield behind him, for less than £5m..I don't think there will be many.

For the level we are at the bloke is very, very good. He may not be the most elegant or attractive to watch, but he's effective, and he scores goals that are effective, win us points, and come at a reliable and regular rate. He's played in every team and formation that we've tried over the past 4 years, and he's managed to maintain a 1 in 3 ratio in every single one.

He's got 46 goals for us in 147 appearances across 3.5 seasons.

To write him off and cry for him to be tossed aside, especially whilst keeping players like Wells, Martin and Semenyo, is ridiculous.

At the very least we should be making him a generous, attractive, offer that rewards him well for the years of service he's given us and the potential years more.

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

This is the problem. We need to improve and using off the bench on a decent wedge limits the opportunity to get someone better in.....we are stuck with Wells and Martin.....sell diedhiou frees wages plus some more we have in the bank to get someone better.

Who for example?

We must keep him IMO. I’ve lost count of the amount of times i have said how much it would cost to replace him - you are talking upwards of £6mill i would imagine to get in somebody with his goal scoring record at this level and i very much doubt we have that sort of money in the current climate.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Lee Johnson described Fam as a confidence player and his form recently, and throughout his time here would back that up. Sometimes his touch, hold up play and finishing is high quality. In other spells not so. 

He's certainly put himself in the shop window with his recent goals. 

Touch , Hold up play  -

‘ high quality ‘  ? 

Wow   I missed that game then

As for his finishing - two or three of his finishes recently have possibly been his best

Id say occasionally he finishes with quality 

As for ‘rewarding his years of service’ @ExiledAjax

Well as it stands, he is going to have cost us £50k a week for his ‘service’

and do stats show how he has contributed to our method of play for 4 years  , and whether in a positive or negative way ?

I live in hope that he has already signed (or agreed to sign), possibly with a release clause. It’s not yet been made public as per club statement of pausing negotiations till the window closes. 

Why would this be the case? 

Maybe both are happy to stay but also both are happy to leave if the right deal for all parties happens to be agreed this month. 

Maybe we have agreed a deal in principle but cannot afford for the ink to dry until a certain date because of our accounts and current financial situation. 

I know the reality is not the above but I did say I lived in hope ???

2 minutes ago, City1984 said:

I live in hope that he has already signed (or agreed to sign), possibly with a release clause. It’s not yet been made public as per club statement of pausing negotiations till the window closes. 

Why would this be the case? 

Maybe both are happy to stay but also both are happy to leave if the right deal for all parties happens to be agreed this month. 

Maybe we have agreed a deal in principle but cannot afford for the ink to dry until a certain date because of our accounts and current financial situation. 

I know the reality is not the above but I did say I lived in hope ???

That’s a really great shout. ??????

29 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Touch , Hold up play  -

‘ high quality ‘  ? 

Wow   I missed that game then

As for his finishing - two or three of his finishes recently have possibly been his best

Id say occasionally he finishes with quality 

As for ‘rewarding his years of service’

Every season he’s been here he’s managed to decrease the amount he dispossessed per game. With it being at its lowest ever (under 1 a game) this season although he’s played much less

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

There is no reason at all that we wont sell him if an offer comes in, it is not the BCFC way to keep players when there`s a sniff of a profit available.

18/19 transfers players in; £8.5m, players sold £23.3m

19/20 transfers players in; £15m, players sold £37m

Figures taken from googled bcfc transfers, those 2 seasons/years show large profits from transfers, so where is it then? :dunno:

If we are to be serious about a prem challenge we are going to have to keep good players and add to them

It's what we have to do to compete with the teams that get parachute payments!

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

As for ‘rewarding his years of service’ @ExiledAjax

and do stats show how he has contributed to our method of play for 4 years  , and whether in a positive or negative way ?

You're quite right. Sorry. Of course a bloke who's scored 20% of all our league goals over the past 3.5 seasons shouldn't be given a new contract. You're correct he's barely even turned up let alone contributed. God how wrong was I?

As for the 'method of play'. Well before we assess that we have to decided what that 'method' was over the past 3.5 seasons. I don't have the time unpick that ball of string but you go ahead and analyse how many formations we've fielded in that time, how many strike partnerships we've put out, how many "Barry Bannan type players" we've tried behind him. Then tell me during which of those phases of Bristol City 2017-2021 Famara Diedhiou failed to score in.

I'll give you a starting point that might help - in the 134 league games Fam has played for us we've scored 142 (of which he himself has scored 42), conceded 127, and averaged 1.42 points per game.

Finally, I am not arguing that he is John Atyeo, Zlatan, or Alan Shearer reborn. What I am saying is that he is a damn good centre forward for a Championship club with aspirations of a play-off finish. 

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You're quite right. Sorry. Of course a bloke who's scored 20% of all our league goals over the past 3.5 seasons shouldn't be given a new contract. You're correct he's barely even turned up let alone contributed. God how wrong was I?

As for the 'method of play'. Well before we assess that we have to decided what that 'method' was over the past 3.5 seasons. I don't have the time unpick that ball of string but you go ahead and analyse how many formations we've fielded in that time, how many strike partnerships we've put out, how many "Barry Bannan type players" we've tried behind him. Then tell me during which of those phases of Bristol City 2017-2021 Famara Diedhiou failed to score in.

I'll give you a starting point that might help - in the 134 league games Fam has played for us we've scored 142 (of which he himself has scored 42), conceded 127, and averaged 1.42 points per game.

Finally, I am not arguing that he is John Atyeo, Zlatan, or Alan Shearer reborn. What I am saying is that he is a damn good centre forward for a Championship club with aspirations of a play-off finish. 

Seems to have rattled you as I posted about your comments , particularly the nonsense about ‘rewarding ‘him for his great ‘service ‘

Btw he has had contracts on offer for some time so not exactly sure what you’re bleating about - he’s the one not signing them

Exactly where have I said that he ‘hasnt Contributed’ or that I wouldn’t offer him a new contract ?

ill leave you to your stats

41 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You have not engaged with the points made.

26 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Seems to have rattled you as I posted about your comments , particularly the nonsense about ‘rewarding ‘him for his great ‘service ‘

Btw he has had contracts on offer for some time so not exactly sure what you’re bleating about - he’s the one not signing them

Exactly where have I said that he ‘hasnt Contributed’ or that I wouldn’t offer him a new contract ?

ill leave you to your stats

The player frequently does have a touch like a trampoline. At 28 he can still improve but his technical ability will never be high.

Bristol City's best football has been played without him over a significant period, he has yet to strike up a partnership with any player of lasting significance. Its frequently a question of what do you want? Technical ability leading to tactical flexibility or a goal in every three? 

7 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

No. He shouldn't offered a new deal even on the same terms he is on now. A good servant a decent forward thank you for your service. 

We want prem football....we won't get that with Diedhiou up top.

Garbage, best striker we have. By your reckoning we should dump the entire team because in reality none of them are good enough for Prem footy at this present time.

Archived