IGNORED

Hair Cutting Tips?

Port Said Red

During the first lockdown I started using clippers that I borrowed from my son in law to cut my own hair. It's something I have continued to do, saving me a few bob now that I am redundant/early retired. Obviously I have reached the point in my life where I don't care how fashionable I look, but I am lucky enough to have a pretty good head of hair still and I just need to look neat, tidy and comfortable. 

How many others on here have been doing the same and do we have any tips between us that may be useful? I generally struggle with the back of my head and around the ears, so anything that might help there would be useful. :) 

My own tip would be if, you are using clippers, is to work in all directions, front to back and side to side.

My wife has been cutting mine through lockdown: I bought a clipper set early on. Mine is pretty short anyway, so it would be hard to go badly wrong.

By contrast, my wife asked me to cut hers once. "Just take an inch or so off all around the bottom" was the instruction. I did such a god-awful job (not intentionally mind) I was never asked back.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

During the first lockdown I started using clippers that I borrowed from my son in law to cut my own hair. It's something I have continued to do, saving me a few bob now that I am redundant/early retired. Obviously I have reached the point in my life where I don't care how fashionable I look, but I am lucky enough to have a pretty good head of hair still and I just need to look neat, tidy and comfortable. 

How many others on here have been doing the same and do we have any tips between us that may be useful? I generally struggle with the back of my head and around the ears, so anything that might help there would be useful. :) 

My own tip would be if, you are using clippers, is to work in all directions, front to back and side to side.

Living on my own, I bought a pair of clippers and give my self a grade 2 all over.

One thing I have learnt is do the cut at least a week before going anywhere(not such an issue at present) it gives your hair a chance to grow back over any areas messed up.

I'm not going to shave at the moment, so going for a beard look for the first time, it's going to be horrific

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

There is currently an article on the BBC news website on how to cut your hair at home.May have some useful tips?

Here is the link !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52387098

I do a 2 back and sides, and a 4 on top every other cut (gel it). Mine grows stupidly quickly so the short bits catch up with the top after cut 2.

I don't know how but I manage to get it pretty straight all around, one of those things where if you do it enough you improve everytime.

Wife comes in to trim the bottom and to get rid of any stragglers that I may have missed. 

She keeps saying that I have a "thin part" on the back of my head. I tell her when it gets to the point where it's noticeable I'll do a 0 all over. That shuts her up pretty quickly...

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I do a 2 back and sides, and a 4 on top every other cut (gel it). Mine grows stupidly quickly so the short bits catch up with the top after cut 2.

I don't know how but I manage to get it pretty straight all around, one of those things where if you do it enough you improve everytime.

Wife comes in to trim the bottom and to get rid of any stragglers that I may have missed. 

She keeps saying that I have a "thin part" on the back of my head. I tell her when it gets to the point where it's noticeable I'll do a 0 all over. That shuts her up pretty quickly...

Look upon it as a solar panel, you`re saving the planet by having it. 

Greta would be proud of you.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I did the same and bought clippers which were great. That was until cut No 3 (I think) that I forgot to put the attachment doodah on them. Cut straight down the middle of my bonce and suddenly looked like Krusty the Clown. Had no choice but to cut the rest in the same fashion. Not made the same mistake again. Strangely the local Mademoiselle's at the time were very complimentary of my new look. Most of my mates just pissed themselves laughing.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

She's getting better. This is her latest attempt..

PRI_147724778.jpg

Nog bad, but think you need to sit up straighter Taz!

Ive got electric clippers with the various size guards so Mrs D has done mine a few times and not too badly. Last time however she clipped up the back and sides but said the top was OK, but  it does make it look like Ive got a badly fitting wig perched on top.

The other thing is that that all the way through she keeps asking where Im planning to go on holiday, have I git any grandchildren and where do they live and then at, the end of the cut, she asks, “something for the week-end sir?” :) 

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Maybe next time she should try cutting it with one eye shut?

May get her to try it with her eyes closed actually....

May I add that she would kill me if she were to read this :laugh:. She does do a good job...honestly!!

3 hours ago, Taz said:

She's getting better. This is her latest attempt..

PRI_147724778.jpg

When she asks “anything for the week-end sir?”, ask for  a straight edge and a spirit level!

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I imagine she would use scissors to do it.She looks pretty lethal with them.

If that were to be the weapon of choice, I've got a pretty good chance of her missing completely so a risk worth taking maybe? 

r.e this topic Go for a BaByliss Precision Power mains clipper.    Picked one up from The Range chain of stores a week or two back, £ 17.99.

Has eight to ten separate grades to use including a 0.5 although would never use that even for sideburns.   Really it's very good, seriously, if you're looking for a good hair clipper, nothing fancy but efficient and at an affordable cost this is a very good purchase.    Used it already and more than satisfied.   Comes with cleaning brush, oil and own storage pouch.

Don't go to barbers now, last time must have been early 2000's.   9 or 10 pounds for a hair cut now ?   No chance.   Must have saved hundreds of pounds and then some.     There's still a shop somewhere that I went as a boy some  35/ 40 years ago still with the same name.    Closed due to the virus thing but can recall having to sit on a wooden beam in the chair to fit in, the smell of hairspray and a old pinball machine in there that I don't remember ever being in use.     You kind of miss things over time.      Different generation now. 

Archived