IGNORED

Newport keeper scores

Unan

• Admin

Newport County goalkeeper Tom King has set a new world record for the longest goal scored in competitive football.

The 25-year-old scored as the Exiles drew 1-1 at Cheltenham Town on Tuesday.

His goal-kick was picked up in the wind, catching out Robins keeper Josh Griffiths before sailing into the net.

Guinness World Records confirmed King "officially broke the record for the longest goal scored in a competitive football match, which covered an incredible distance of 96.01m".

Asmir Begovic previously held the world record for his November 2013 effort for Stoke City against Southampton.

It took until September 2014 for Begovic's effort - measured at 91.9m (301ft 6in) - to claim its place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

"I'm obviously absolutely delighted because it's not something that I intentionally set out to do," said King.

"I'm sure it will be talked about for a long time to come, so I'm proud and I'm sure my family will be extremely proud too.

"I'll have to drop Asmir a message to send my commiserations, but, in all honesty, it's different territory for me because it's something I never dreamt of being in the books that you get for Christmas every year.

"Hopefully I might actually read it if I get one for Christmas this year. I'm delighted and hopefully no one beats it for a long time now so I can show my grandkids!"

King's effort went viral on social media and he joked he would take a measuring tape back to Cheltenham.

But he says camaraderie with a fellow goalkeeper prevented any outlandish celebrations of his opener in the 1-1 draw.

"There was no celebration - I'd never do that to another goalie. I've not meant it and I think we have that kind of unwritten rule, that secret goalkeeper's union that people talk about so I'd never do that," said King.

"I'd never celebrate, but I'm just happy that I could help the team, really."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55731409

Goal kicks have always been directly returning the ball to play, like corners but not throw-ins (whereby a player other than that returning the ball to play must touch the ball.)

I saw Cashley inadvertently do it. It was against Hull and unusual for a fairly early season Tuesday night it was blowing a gale and I was soaked through at the Open End. The ball just went with wind and their keeper, impeded by the rain, got caught in no-mans-lsnd. Like with Newport it bounced over his head.

Don't recall the keeper but I was impressed by Hull's centre forward at the time 'Pancho' Pearson. Deadly at that level and loved to mimic his goal celebration when playing in the park.

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Goal kicks have always been directly returning the ball to play, like corners but not throw-ins (whereby a player other than that returning the ball to play must touch the ball.)

I saw Cashley inadvertently do it. It was against Hull and unusual for a fairly early season Tuesday night it was blowing a gale and I was soaked through at the Open End. The ball just went with wind and their keeper, impeded by the rain, got caught in no-mans-lsnd. Like with Newport it bounced over his head.

Don't recall the keeper but I was impressed by Hull's centre forward at the time 'Pancho' Pearson. Deadly at that level and loved to mimic his goal celebration when playing in the park.

Think it was Jeff Wealands 

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think it was Jeff Wealands 

Quite possibly though as a kid my focus was on opposition strikers, not keepers, as Sunday afternoon in the park it was them I'd mimic.

As discussed with my lad, with blanket football on TV these days he'll never experience the thrill of eagerly anticipating a match not for seeing City's home stars rather those opposition players of whom you'd heard rumour or read but rarely seen, certainly never in the flesh. That was half the joy of going to the match. 

Archived