IGNORED

From The Jaws of Victory.

downendcity

Listening to Talksport earlier today they referenced a new book titled as above, and it got me thinking about examples of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory and the one that came to mind was our amazing finish at Mansfield almost 20 years ago. 

More recently in the champions league semi final 2nd leg Ajax seemed home and hosed against Spurs until the turn around at the death and that came only days after Liverpool turned around a seemingly unavailable first leg deficit against Barca.

In other sports Im old enough to remember the Aussies having England on the ropes at Headingly in ’81, when only Botham’s heroics avoided an innings defeat but still left the Aussies needing just over 100 to win. The rest, as they say, is history.

What are your favourite examples?

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Listening to Talksport earlier today they referenced a new book titled as above, and it got me thinking about examples of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory and the one that came to mind was our amazing finish at Mansfield almost 20 years ago. 

More recently in the champions league semi final 2nd leg Ajax seemed home and hosed against Spurs until the turn around at the death and that came only days after Liverpool turned around a seemingly unavailable first leg deficit against Barca.

In other sports Im old enough to remember the Aussies having England on the ropes at Headingly in ’81, when only Botham’s heroics avoided an innings defeat but still left the Aussies needing just over 100 to win. The rest, as they say, is history.

Hmmm.

I think the late Bob Willis might have had a small input.

Not my favourite example but I still can't believe how we didn't beat Sheffied Wednesday a few years ago.

2-0 up, Tammy Abraham double I think and they were down to 10 men and we had a penalty.

Tomlin hits the post with the pen and then gary o'Neil gets sent off within seconds of the penalty miss. We then concede 1 then another and I was fuming whilst watching sky sports news, how could we draw from being in such a strong position. And then the bloke said "there's been a goal at Hillsborough" deep into stoppage time. My heart sank I knew what was coming, and then it flashes up on the screen 3-2 to Wednesday, I was already fuming at only getting 1 point, and to make it worse Frankie Fielding dropped the ball into his net, this sent me over the edge. Throwing stuff around the living room, punching the sofa, screaming, baby crying, mrs went mental at me, I had to have a cold shower to calm down.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I think it's known as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat as if I recall we beat Mansfield 5-4 after being 4-2 down with minutes to go. Though us being us we are much more likely to do it the other way around.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

I think it's known as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat as if I recall we beat Mansfield 5-4 after being 4-2 down with minutes to go.

The epitome of the roller coaster ride that day!  One nil down........two one up.......four two down..........ground reverberating with "Can we play you every week...?".  Then City did the almost impossible and hit the jackpot.   I just wish I'd seen the sky sports news reactions in the last five minutes or so, but I missed it because I was otherwise engaged at Field Mill.

That Christian Roberts finish, mind ?  

6 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

The epitome of the roller coaster ride that day!  One nil down........two one up.......four two down..........ground reverberating with "Can we play you every week...?".  Then City did the almost impossible and hit the jackpot.   I just wish I'd seen the sky sports news reactions in the last five minutes or so, but I missed it because I was otherwise engaged at Field Mill.

That Christian Roberts finish, mind ?  

The reporter from Sky sports news said that it was one of the most amazing finishes to any game he had ever seen, I watched it unfold on Sky sports news the guy was literally speechless and gobsmacked it was one unforgettable afternoon where I went from embarrassment to elation in 3 minutes.  

Derby away 3 or 4 seasons ago...we are 3 nil up at half time right next to the Derby fans and we are giving it "large". We only go and concede 3 in the second half to finish 3 - 3 and the baiting from them was immense. ?

5 hours ago, Packman said:

Not my favourite example but I still can't believe how we didn't beat Sheffied Wednesday a few years ago.

2-0 up, Tammy Abraham double I think and they were down to 10 men and we had a penalty.

Tomlin hits the post with the pen and then gary o'Neil gets sent off within seconds of the penalty miss. We then concede 1 then another and I was fuming whilst watching sky sports news, how could we draw from being in such a strong position. And then the bloke said "there's been a goal at Hillsborough" deep into stoppage time. My heart sank I knew what was coming, and then it flashes up on the screen 3-2 to Wednesday, I was already fuming at only getting 1 point, and to make it worse Frankie Fielding dropped the ball into his net, this sent me over the edge. Throwing stuff around the living room, punching the sofa, screaming, baby crying, mrs went mental at me, I had to have a cold shower to calm down.

Yeh I felt like we’d chucked the season in that game, our belief drained away in the space of a few seconds

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

5 hours ago, pillred said:

I think it's known as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat as if I recall we beat Mansfield 5-4 after being 4-2 down with minutes to go. Though us being us we are much more likely to do it the other way around.

I think OPs just mixed up the point of the book. The book is about teams/players/scenarios where they looked destined to win - and lost. E.g. The Mansfield side of that story, or an example they use Liverpool letting the Premier League go in 2014

2 hours ago, KevP said:

Derby away 3 or 4 seasons ago...we are 3 nil up at half time right next to the Derby fans and we are giving it "large". We only go and concede 3 in the second half to finish 3 - 3 and the baiting from them was immense. ?

Draw though, so doesn’t count ???

Yes, my first thought too, along with Mansfield and Sunderland. Didn’t Matty Taylor miss a sitter that would have made it 4? That probably was the moment we snatched defeat....etc!

Not quite up there with Mansfield, but I’m sure there was a game at Colchester, some time ago (at Layer Road) where we came back from 2or 3 down. I can remember a bunch of City fans walking out after about half an hour and going to the pub where they missed our comeback.

A long time ago but proof that our club are experts.

Easter 1960 in Division Two, fighting against relegation.

Good Friday away to Ipswich we win.

Next day at home to Huddersfield. 89th minute Atyeo scores to put us 2-1 up. One minute later at full time, City 2 Huddersfield 3. Two goals scored by Jack Connor.

In the following October, he joined City in Division Three and had ten years as the rock of our defence.

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think OPs just mixed up the point of the book. The book is about teams/players/scenarios where they looked destined to win - and lost. E.g. The Mansfield side of that story, or an example they use Liverpool letting the Premier League go in 2014

Nope, as In my OP I said this. 

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

I just referred to our and Liverpool’s amazing turnarounds, but of course it was the losing sides that clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

I think the late Bob Willis might have had a small input.

....and Graeme Dilley

6 hours ago, Packman said:

That was incredible wasn’t....especially how far the ball came back off the post, almost to the halfway line.

7 hours ago, Packman said:

I still have a small dent in the plaster of the wall in the living room, we were 2-0 up to Leeds away and they got 2 lateish goals, The game was on sky, suffice to say my phone went flying when they got the equaliser . I think we had given away leads a few times around that period so it was a build up of frustration. 

Germany away to Russia, Stalingrad 1943. Fritz was cruising at half time, but a few cheeky subs by Ivan and a change of formation moving the big guns forward and it was all over for the Germans.

Don't think their manager took that loss too well and he resigned at the end of the season following relegation.

Just the 2016/2017 season in general. It felt like we would go in front and then lose.

Just off the top of my head...

2-0 up away at Sheffield Wednesday 

2-0 up away at wolves

3-0 up away at Derby

2-0 up away at Newcastle 

Didn't win any of them.

Chuck in leading twice against Cardiff and reading to lose to late goals.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

....and Graeme Dilley

That was incredible wasn’t....especially how far the ball came back off the post, almost to the halfway line.

I saw a similar incident at Rovers in 1950's. (Only way to watch football when City were away - no TV games) I was cheering for Leicester City but Rovers got a penalty at the Tote end.

Peter Hooper, later to play for City, hammered it against the post and it rebounded to half way line. Arthur Rowley got the ball and set off toward the Muller Road end and let fly from 40 yards. It screamed into the net. Oh what joy among us City fans there that day.

Has to be this. Most controversial ending in any sport and just happened to not only be an Olympic Final but between USA and USSR.

Even if you don't like this sport, this 7 minute clip is well worth watching and explains what happened. And the British were involved too!
1972 Olympic Basketball Gold Medal story

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Germany away to Russia, Stalingrad 1943. Fritz was cruising at half time, but a few cheeky subs by Ivan and a change of formation moving the big guns forward and it was all over for the Germans.

Don't think their manager took that loss too well and he resigned at the end of the season following relegation.

Germany V England at Dunkirk also comes to mind.

The Germans had England with their backs against the wall in the 85th minute on a sandy and waterlogged pitch and no subs, staring certain defeat in the face. Then the German manager decided the utilise the LJ tactic of dropping deeper to give his strike force a rest, which was enough for England to regroup and hold out and crucially hang on to their squad.

It wasn’t a victory as such,  but the England boss at the time span it into a victory and the beginning of a resurgence for a team looking  destined for relegation to go on to take the tile a few years later.

Another one from more recent times is the Watford v Leicester play off semi final 2nd leg.

With the teams level,  in the last minute Leicester win a very iffy penalty. The Watford keeper saves, Watford immediately break upfield for Deeney to score the winner.

While strictly speaking Leicester were not winning at the time of the penalty the game was theirs to win.

Archived