IGNORED

From The Jaws of Victory.

downendcity

58 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The Germans had England with their backs against the wall in the 85th minute on a sandy and waterlogged pitch and no subs, staring certain defeat in the face. Then the German manager decided the utilise the LJ tactic of dropping deeper to give his strike force a rest, which was enough for England to regroup and hold out and crucially hang on to their squad.

It wasn’t a victory as such,  but the England boss at the time span it into a victory and the beginning of a resurgence for a team looking  destined for relegation to go on to take the tile a few years later.

As this was played at an away venue, it really kicked off at 19.40.

Whilst we defended with all our might, like you said the German team did sit back a la LJ. In a heated post match conference, it seems their Chairman kept interfering with the team manager's and coaches inital formation and tactics. 

Unlike our ex manager, the Germans still liked aerial bombardments from the wings namely from 2 of their greatest, Messrs Schmitt and Stuka. 

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

As this was played at an away venue, it really kicked off at 19.40.

Whilst we defended with all our might, like you said the German team did sit back a la LJ. In a heated post match conference, it seems their Chairman kept interfering with the team manager's and coaches inital formation and tactics. 

Unlike our ex manager, the Germans still liked aerial bombardments from the wings namely from 2 of their greatest, Messrs Schmitt and Stuka. 

The other turning point was when England's manager was able to bring on L'il Schipps, the Dutch custodian transferred from Dover Athletic, at the death.

The other thing that not a lot of people know, is that Adolph liked to be called Kirk, as a nickname,  by his senior staff when in their close company. When the allied army had retreated to the channel coast,  AH was discussing the strategy of destroying them on the ground so  asked where they now were with the plan. “Dunkirk!” a Field Marshall replied.

On hearing that,  AH ( a distant cousin of Baron Volstenhulme) thought to himself “ they think it’s all over - it is now” , so decided to rest his panzers and troops for invasion of Britain, that would surely follow.

14 hours ago, downendcity said:

Listening to Talksport earlier today they referenced a new book titled as above, and it got me thinking about examples of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory and the one that came to mind was our amazing finish at Mansfield almost 20 years ago. 

More recently in the champions league semi final 2nd leg Ajax seemed home and hosed against Spurs until the turn around at the death and that came only days after Liverpool turned around a seemingly unavailable first leg deficit against Barca.

In other sports Im old enough to remember the Aussies having England on the ropes at Headingly in ’81, when only Botham’s heroics avoided an innings defeat but still left the Aussies needing just over 100 to win. The rest, as they say, is history.

What are your favourite examples?

Still the best bet I ever placed! Liverpool to win 4-0 and Spurs to qualify inside 90 minutes - remember that Lucas goal somehow finding its way in watching on a dodgy stream on my mobile.

I think it was the 2016/17 season where we seemed to regularly throw away points (not checked to see if that is a fact but just my recollection). We were at home to Reading, it was a commentary match on national radio and we were 2-0 up and seemingly comfortable. With less than 20 mins to go Reading scored and I walked away and said to Mrs RR – that’s it we’ll lose now. Two goals at about the 90 minute mark and we lost 2-3.  

Couldn’t decide if my anger or prediction smugness got the better of me.

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

Draw though, so doesn’t count ???

Yes, my first thought too, along with Mansfield and Sunderland. Didn’t Matty Taylor miss a sitter that would have made it 4? That probably was the moment we snatched defeat....etc!

Not quite up there with Mansfield, but I’m sure there was a game at Colchester, some time ago (at Layer Road) where we came back from 2or 3 down. I can remember a bunch of City fans walking out after about half an hour and going to the pub where they missed our comeback.

felt like defeat !!

Archived