IGNORED

Norwich City v CITY Official Matchday Thread

Forgetting individuals tonight, as a team, for all the good things Saturday, we were poor tonight.  Lack of physicality a big problem, which was a shame, because when we did show a little bit, it really put Norwich off their stride....just not for long enough.

I really wanted someone to “boot” one of their players.

Wasn't a “we went down fighting” performance was it.

Guessing we will see some changes for cup games Saturday.

The difference between us and Norwich was huge.

They were an organised side that made it look easy. But they didn't do anything spectacular. They moved, created space, made angles, and stretched us. It's not rocket science...it was very simple football, that was ingrained and second nature.

I can't remember the last time I watched us going forward, and thought we played as a team. We just look like a bunch of individuals making it up as we go along.

Again...the lack of movement and angles was missing. It's basic stuff. 

This is some of the worst football I've ever seen us play in all the years, it's that bad. Even under SoD it wasn't this bad.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

They were an organised side that made it look easy. But they didn't do anything spectacular. They moved, created space, made angles, and stretched us. It's not rocket science...it was very simple football, that was ingrained and second nature.

I can't remember the last time I watched us going forward, and thought we played as a team. We just look like a bunch of individuals making it up as we go along.

This is some of the worst football I've ever seen us play in all the years, it's that bad. Even under SoD it wasn't this bad.

??????? best post of the night

1 minute ago, spudski said:

That’s a very harsh assessment Spudski.........:cool2: 

You have to appreciate that Norwich are top of Championship for a reason - they’re a very decent well organised outfit who regularly snifle the opposition and that’s what happened to City tonight.We barely created a chance - thanks to the opposition.

I doubt that any of us were expecting to avoid defeat at Carrow Rd for exactly those reasons,

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

We even make the crap teams look good and well organised. We’ve been like it for a few seasons now, no real system or pattern of play 

We even made Wycombe look decent ffs 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

You have to appreciate that Norwich are top of Championship for a reason - they’re a very decent well organised outfit who regularly snifle the opposition and that’s what happened to City tonight.We barely created a chance - thanks to the opposition.

I doubt that any of us were expecting to avoid defeat at Carrow Rd for exactly those reasons,

You can expect a bit more desire, organisation, and a game plan to at least have a chance though - lots of teams we are (supposedly) comfortably better than manage to do that to us when we play them. Why can't we do it to Norwich, even to a level where we feel competitive.

I'd have accepted the defeat if I felt we did the above, personally.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Couldn't agree more. Even though the movement was non existent the times players had the ball in space and couldn't play a ten yard pass to someone unmarked was astounding.

Have seen many unattractive sides over the years down the gate but this ranks alongside the worse. 

it's scary to me that the player with the most vision and passing ability is Mawson who's not even our player.

Poor display against a side that comfortably won while not exceeding third gear.

Our only plan is to go backwards when confronted by the opponents almost anywhere on the pitch.

We will be safe this season but next one? Rudderless, square pegs in round holes. Some not up to playing at this level. Absolute caution instead of "having a go" and trying to upset their comfortable game.

Seemed like we expect to lose so why bother.

PS, some excluded from previous comments but no team will ever win any match with only four to six trying.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I wasn't expecting us to win Robbo.

We defended and kept shape ok. When without the ball we focus on keeping shape etc.

It's when we have the ball it's a problem. Norwich aren't some stand out defensive side.

We look the same going forward regardless of who we play.

There is no plan, no movement, no understanding, no ingrained coaching, no natural footballing angles, no movement to draw players, no urgency, no aggression, little composure...I could go on. We have no strengths going forward. It's all very opportunist. The players when going forward look like they are just going through the motions...it's apathetic...as well as pathetic. 

Holden's football is worse than LJs. We have been in decline football wise for the past two seasons. Our position in the league last season flattered us. We are just continuing to spiral and stagnate.

Someone new needs to come in and shake things up.

That's the problem...it's become too cosy. MA and JL don't want anyone undermining their ideas imo.

We've got some decent players...we've got a very poor coach imo. It's becoming a joke... sarcastically he'd play 10 forwards in hope of a goal if he could. Do it once I'd laugh...do it regularly and it looks like a kid on a game... embarrassing.

We defended and kept shape ok. When without the ball we focus on keeping shape etc.

It's when we have the ball it's a problem. Norwich aren't some stand out defensive side.

There is no plan, no movement, no understanding, no ingrained coaching, no natural footballing angles, no movement to draw players, no urgency, no aggression, little composure...I could go on. We have no strengths going forward. It's all very opportunist. The players when going forward look like they are just going through the motions...it's apathetic...as well as pathetic. 

Holden's football is worse than LJs. We have been in decline football wise for the past two seasons. Our position in the league last season flattered us. We are just continuing to spiral and stagnate.

That's the problem...it's become too cosy. MA and JL don't want anyone undermining their ideas imo.

We've got some decent players...we've got a very poor coach imo. It's becoming a joke... sarcastically he'd play 10 forwards in hope of a goal if he could. Do it once I'd laugh...do it regularly and it looks like a kid on a game... embarrassing.

We ‘kept shape’ like 10 training dummies , whilst Norwich cut through us at will 

Application , intelligence and effort Embarrassing 

We were actually bullied by their ‘footballers’ ????

(And Totally And utterly outplayed)

I normally wait until the day after to add my rambling thoughts on a game, mostly to calm down and think or maybe look at the goals again. Tonight was a car crash waiting to happen from the minute I saw the team sheet. Against a side who's movement is brilliant, who's midfield made us look stupid last Time out and currently sit top of the table, while seemingly easily beating all before them. We send out Palmer & Adelakun in a MF role that relies on them hunting down opposition players. We set up to give some very good wide players all the room they could wish for, and why ? Well it worked against PNE ?
I have defended Holden before, he has been hammered by injury and illness, but some decisions are bordering on madness. He's not getting the best out of the players we have available and not only that, he seems to have managed to make some players worse. 
His substitutions make LJ look like a genius. Usually reactive, usually late and usually just throw another forward at it, mainly pointless. I would also ask, what does he see in Martin to play him however he's played previously (not a reflection on tonight), and what does he see in playing our most clinical Box striker on the wing?
He's not getting sacked any time soon, minimum here until the end of the year, but it feels more and more like we need a overhaul of head coach, the link to the board and the amount of say non football people have to affect the team. Again , ain't gonna happen, and I don't think I'll enjoy the ride.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

It’s been cosy for too long.  The upward challenge has been non-existent since Cotts.

42 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We ‘kept shape’ like 10 training dummies , whilst Norwich cut through us at will 

Application , intelligence and effort Embarrassing 

We were actually bullied by their ‘footballers’ ????

(And Totally And utterly outplayed)

Wasn’t too long ago that you were deriding people for holding views like this Shelts. Not gloating btw, just sad it’s not turning around, the football is just so poor. Can’t see how it changes either, injuries or not. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Post of the night as far as I’m concerned, and this from one of the more reasoned less emotive contributors. Collectively this team is a mess, and perhaps that’s all we’ll ever be, a stepping stone for youngsters to get a bit of blooding before moving on, or a comfortable wage for someone not going anywhere. An entertaining team to watch, nope not even close. 

33 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wasn’t too long ago that you were deriding people for holding views like this Shelts. Not gloating btw, just sad it’s not turning around, the football is just so poor. Can’t see how it changes either, injuries or not. 

No my issue is with the personal name calling of , or agendas against some players before a ball is even kicked

My comments are , and as a team , about an unacceptable performance that I’ve just witnessed 

36 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Post of the night as far as I’m concerned, and this from one of the more reasoned less emotive contributors. Collectively this team is a mess, and perhaps that’s all we’ll ever be, a stepping stone for youngsters to get a bit of blooding before moving on, or a comfortable wage for someone not going anywhere. An entertaining team to watch, nope not even close. 

It is dire to watch worst in my time following city. At least with Mcinnes it was so bad it was funny.

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

No my issue is with the personal name calling of , or agendas against some players before a ball is even kicked

My comments are , and as a team , about an unacceptable performance that I’ve just witnessed 

Fair enough, I thought I recalled you standing up for the poor football that’s been on show for a while now.  Apologies if I got that wrong. Wasn’t a dig as I said, was just relatively surprised to see your comments that was all. 

22 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair enough, I thought I recalled you standing up for the poor football that’s been on show for a while now.  Apologies if I got that wrong. Wasn’t a dig as I said, was just relatively surprised to see your comments that was all. 

I can’t recall that Len but no probs - 

Tonight was a car crash in just about every respect IMHO (Save somehow escaping without a embarrassing scoreline)

Not only in the performance it highlighted poor recruitment again , naive management , the looming contracts crisis 

All off the back of the injury crisis and some noises regarding this

I can suffer some poorish football if I can see what we are trying to do and it’s some pain for a step  some sort of current plan going forward but I don’t 

I see us having lost , and losing momentum as we’ve done time and time again at this level over the years and historically that’s only ended in one thing

Ill admit that tonight got to me - not losing to a decent side but all the alarm bells ringing

Watching a gutless stand off performance I thought

‘ £33 million pound wage bill - what a ****** joke ‘

14 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I can’t recall that Len but no probs - 

Tonight was a car crash in just about every respect IMHO (Save somehow escaping without a embarrassing scoreline)

Not only in the performance it highlighted poor recruitment again , naive management , the looming contracts crisis 

All off the back of the injury crisis and some noises regarding this

I can suffer some poorish football if I can see what we are trying to do and it’s some pain for a step  some sort of current plan going forward but I don’t 

I see us having lost , and losing momentum as we’ve done time and time again at this level over the years and historically that’s only ended in one thing

Ill admit that tonight got to me - not losing to a decent side but all the alarm bells ringing

Watching a gutless stand off performance I thought

‘ £33 million pound wage bill - what a ****** joke ‘

There’s a definite feeling that things aren’t right in a few of the key areas at the moment, which is a worry.
Strong leadership is needed from the very top now to try and get a grip of things over the next couple of months as I think we have safety pretty much guaranteed for this season so can look to get in a better place for 21/22.  Not sure how much confidence I have in that happening as it stands but we shall see.  

Archived