IGNORED

Norwich are the best team in this league.

Prinny

We're going to eviscerate the team and coaching for this performance, but before we do so, and while we do so, there needs to be at least an acknowledgement of the opposition quality. I think some people went WAAAAAY over the top with the praise after a poor 20 minutes from Preston, and no doubt some others will go WAAAAAY over the top with criticism today.

Now this absolutely does not excuse every or indeed any aspect of todays showing, but they're really good.

Cantwell is my favourite, always seems to show up with a performance whenever I get to watch Norwich.

Skipp looks like a future superstar though obv on loan from Spurs.

We didn't even get to see how good Krul is with 0 shots on target :laugh:

If they’re so good, why set up with a 442 with two target men up front leaving us completely overrun in midfield and absolutely nobody up the pitch who can stretch the play or get in behind them? 

Yes they are the best club in the league, but it was a tactical disaster-class. We may as well have just played the kids to give our players a rest and thrown the match.

3 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Rotherham are 3rd from bottom and beat us just as comfortably last month? ?‍♂️

I'd just like some positive football. It doesn't matter how good the opposition is. The intent should be there.

Their position obviously doesn't reflect the fact that they're the second best side in this division. And Millwall are 3rd.

To my mind we're 24th, but it's all about opinions

9 minutes ago, Prinny said:

We're going to eviscerate the team and coaching for this performance, but before we do so, and while we do so, there needs to be at least an acknowledgement of the opposition quality. I think some people went WAAAAAY over the top with the praise after a poor 20 minutes from Preston, and no doubt some others will go WAAAAAY over the top with criticism today.

Now this absolutely does not excuse every or indeed any aspect of todays showing, but they're really good.

Cantwell is my favourite, always seems to show up with a performance whenever I get to watch Norwich.

Skipp looks like a future superstar though obv on loan from Spurs.

We didn't even get to see how good Krul is with 0 shots on target :laugh:

Yes, but I make that 5 defeats in 7 league games. Those defeats against the likes of Rotherham, Luton and Millwall. Didn’t expect fireworks tonight but we didn’t land a glove on Norwich, not a single shot that was worth a ooo or aaah. 

The squad out there tonight was Mawson, Kalas, Bentley, Palmer, Fam, Nagy, Martin, Wells. That’s quite an expensive and experienced line up wouldn’t you say? Simply has to do better than what they served up. No excuses...

Whether it’s the players or the coaching staff, something is clearly not right and it needs sorting ASAP.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry the Norwich were good argument - nonsense.

We were dreadful. 

People’s expectations have dropped so low they’re happy just not to get thrashed?!

Name a team and line up from the current set of available players that you think gives us a "chance" of winning today and explain how that team affects Norwich. 

I honestly can't.

My best would be 

Bentley

Mariappa        Kalas         Mawson

Hunt           Vyner            Nagy         Rowe

Palmer

Diedhiou            Wells

And I still think it gets smashed.

Them being good doesn't absolve our players coaches and transfer department, as I say in the OP. 

I remember with great fondness many a David v Goliath contest from years ago, where we were midtable fodder playing runaway, top of the league sides and having a right good go, and giving one or two a bloody nose. Like, er, ummm .... we doubled Southampton didn’t we, when they went up? And before that .... er, we gubbed Bournemouth in February '87, SO'D and all, that was a good 'un. They went up. Any other examples? 

Top versus 9th/10th so no surprise at the outcome. Just after half time I said it's got 2:0 written all over it. 

It would be easy to heap praise on Norwich. They have a coach who has a game plan , an identity. They play good, neat incisive football, quick & positive with good movement on and off the ball, on the front foot, always looking to stretch the opposition. EXACTLY everything we are not.

If ever there was a reason needed why we need a coach who can coach at this level then here it is.

It's not a knee jerk reaction to yet another performance where we aren't in the game. It simply underlines the chasm in coaching and tactics.

However good Norwich are and whether they have parachute payments or not they are in this league for a reason, that is the same league as Bristol City but you wouldn't know it looking at how that team was set up with two target men lacking obvious  movement, a defender filling in as a midfielder, one wide player, a creative midfielder asked to play wide with no movement up front and an overworked central midfield  player who actually did quite well despite being totally overrun.

I would expect us to at least compete. Despite our short comings against a very good side I would expect us to set up differently to counter their movement, be creative and at the very least give them a match, at least put up a fight but as we have a head coach who is way out of his depth we got what we deserved which was absolutely nothing.

It will be "the 2nd goal was hand ball, tough to take, but we'll take it on the chin and go again Saturday"

It's just not good enough.

7 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Name a team and line up from the current set of available players that you think gives us a "chance" of winning today and explain how that team affects Norwich. 

I honestly can't.

My best would be 

Bentley

Palmer

Them being good doesn't absolve our players coaches and transfer department, as I say in the OP. 

I like your team with Palmer in his rightful position but that will never happen with a league 1 thinking head coach

17 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I honestly can't.

My best would be 

Bentley

Palmer

I can’t name a team that this coaching set up could put out that would win that game.

Here-in lies the problem.

For all the problems we had with LJ, at least we felt like we had ‘a chance’ of winning most games we went out to play. There were many fantastic away days to back that up.

Under Holden, we’re not even close. 

We barely competed tonight. Sorry, a generally organised back line and back to the walls defending isn’t enough.

We offered so little - they’re not ******* Liverpool. 

And the reality is, it’s not just against Norwich tonight, this performance has been the marker most the season.

The regression is marked. We still have quality in our squad to muster a shot on target...What the hell has happened?

Agree with the posts about 2 up front being  a mistake; we were always going to be under the cosh so an extra body in midfield would’ve at least made us harder to break down. As it was I can only assume the whole midfield and defence was told to keep narrow and compact to stop them playing through us, but all it seemed to do was give their very dangerous full backs unlimited space.

In terms of the forwards I have thought the lack of creativity behind them was the issue. Although I still think that’s the case it’s becoming more and more apparent that we have little pace or movement up front to stretch teams. I’ve said it in a previous post but the guy we’re missing more than anybody this season (for all his faults) is Weimann.

24 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Skipp / Buendia are ridiculously good for this league as is Max Aarons. I thought Bournemouth would walk it but Norwich are by far the best team and well setup

Yeah. Cantwell is very good too, as is Gibson. And their left back is best full back Ive seen in league all season. Best player on park I thought. 

We weren't good and just didn't compete. But Norwich are miles better than anything I've seen this season, including Brentford. 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yet only managed 21 points in Prem last season

And people talk about us in Premier League

We would Break a few records for sure

But surely the people who genuinely think we are a "quality squad" being mismanaged must look at the difference in individual quality of player tonight and realise they have got it completely wrong and that we are NOWHERE BLOODY NEAR top 6 quality, not even close to it. We are where we should be, maybe a few places over-achieving in reality. What grates is the way we go about securing "even par"............it's frustratingly bland and boring football without a semblance of excitement 8 games in every 10.

A blind man could see it but many don't and prefer to talk absolute garbage that a decent Manager would have this lot top 6. It's laughable.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yet only managed 21 points in Prem last season

And people talk about us in Premier League

We would Break a few records for sure

Might go back stronger. 

Burnley and West Brom are two examples- if they add Ben Gibson permanent that would improve defensive options, Greek LB more experienced, a better version of Hugill a more physical Plan B, read that they're better at set pieces at both ends now etc. 

I also think that if not behind closed doors they could have made a better fist of the run-in, at home given the fixtures.

Still not as good as Leeds of last year IMO, would have been interested to see Brentford of last season vs this Norwich too.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might go back stronger. 

Burnley and West Brom are two examples- if they add Ben Gibson permanent that would improve defensive options, Greek LB more experienced, a better version of Hugill a more physical Plan B, read that they're better at set pieces at both ends now etc. 

I also think that if not behind closed doors they could have made a better fist of the run-in, at home given the fixtures.

Still not as good as Leeds of last year IMO, would have been interested to see Brentford of last season vs this Norwich too.

Without trying to sound flippant or rude Mar P

I Couldn’t care less what they do 

My point was just how far off we are - oceans away

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Without trying to sound flippant or rude Mar P

I Couldn’t care less what they do 

My point was just how far off we are - oceans away

Oh agreed, we're a very long way indeed off aspiring to that standard.

The gap without the persistent and recurring injuries might narrow though, given time and cohesion- something that won't happen with recurring and long term injuries.

33 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Yeah. Cantwell is very good too, as is Gibson. And their left back is best full back Ive seen in league all season. Best player on park I thought. 

We weren't good and just didn't compete. But Norwich are miles better than anything I've seen this season, including Brentford. 

Canary in peace.

Thanks for the kind words about us, we do have some players who are better than this league and if we weren't top I would be worried about losing this window, but had to reply to this. Our left back isn't even a left back, we signed him in the summer as a defensive midfielder who first played left back in October as we had no fit defenders who weren't already starting. He has truly grown into the role but we have just signed a Greek international lb on loan (made perm if we go up) so will be interesting to see what happens next.

As for Gibson, another loan with agreement to buy if we go up, the arranged fee of £8m is looking like a snip!

58 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Skipp / Buendia are ridiculously good for this league as is Max Aarons. I thought Bournemouth would walk it but Norwich are by far the best team and well setup

And to think Buendia cost them £1.5m in the summer of 2018, the same amount we spent on Jack Hunt at that time. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh agreed, we're a very long way indeed off aspiring to that standard.

The gap without the persistent and recurring injuries might narrow though, given time and cohesion- something that won't happen with recurring and long term injuries.

With our current squad (And more importantly what the squad will look like when a few OOC walk) , with the current set up from Ashton to Holden 

Do you honestly believe that ?

Or put another way 

Now and looking forward

Do you think we are progressing or regressing ?

46 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

With our current squad (And more importantly what the squad will look like when a few OOC walk) , with the current set up from Ashton to Holden 

Do you honestly believe that ?

Or put another way 

Now and looking forward

Do you think we are progressing or regressing ?

Regressing, under the current coaching regime. I use the term "coaching" in its broadist sense.

Archived