IGNORED

Dan Bentley

Prinny

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

He's pretty good and he hasn't had his massive dip in form yet this season.

So if he keeps this up, he'll be sold in the next 12 months. (2.5 years on his contract remaining.)

Or if Ashton survives, might go for free in summer 23!

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

He's pretty good and he hasn't had his massive dip in form yet this season.

So if he keeps this up, he'll be sold in the next 12 months. (2.5 years on his contract remaining.)

On form, our only saleable asset. And we may have to sell based on the massive losses in commercial and matchday income which will appear in the 20/21 accounts.

2 hours ago, Cardy said:

Sadly another one who was only ever bought as an investment rather than any real intention to build a promotion challenging squad around him.

Spot on Cardy. There is always the talk from the club about top 6 and all that crap, but we'll never get promoted while being a selling club, and buying quantity over quality.

Watching that tonight, a yo yo club who is tearing up the Championship at a canter, but can't stay up when they go up, what's the point!

Take me back to League 1 with Cotts in charge at least it was enjoyable :D

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Spot on Cardy. There is always the talk from the club about top 6 and all that crap, but we'll never get promoted while being a selling club, and buying quantity over quality.

Watching that tonight, a yo yo club who is tearing up the Championship at a canter, but can't stay up when they go up, what's the point!

Take me back to League 1 with Cotts in charge at least it was enjoyable :D

If you look at Brentford as an example, being a selling club shouldn't affect your ability to challenge the top 6. In the last 2 seasons they've sold Maupay, Benrahma and Watkins, but have a much better recruitment strategy than us, which is proven by results.

Oh, and they play great football too.

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

If you look at Brentford as an example, being a selling club shouldn't affect your ability to challenge the top 6. In the last 2 seasons they've sold Maupay, Benrahma and Watkins, but have a much better recruitment strategy than us, which is proven by results.

It's been said for years, the scouting/recruitment side of things here has been suspect for a while.

Someone mentioned it on another thread (apologies can't remember who or which one exactly - probably the contract one) but when we bought Fam, instead of him we should have bought the Angers Scouting team. Said in jest maybe, but you can see their point. Brentford are the same, always seem to get a top, top player who is pleasing to watch and will invariably land them a few million extra in the bank when sold on. Albeit on a much smaller scale, but Peterborough always seem to be able to find a decent striker as well....

I'm not saying our recruitment is crap, we've had a fair few million from the resale of players over the last few years as well, but it seems like we have more of a scattergun approach. For every 1 or 2 really successful players we have 2 or 3 ok ones. Nobody will ever get it right all the time - even SAF bought a few duds at Man Utd over the years, but we never seem to be able to get that next huge star.

Then again there is another argument that perhaps the recruitment is fine, but the coaching/medical team(s) are not up to scratch. That however is for a different thread...

So frustrating and so sad

We’ve needed a ‘match winning’ keeper since our return to Championship

I liked FF for example but Bentley is a level above

5 years into the new regime hAshton / Johnson / Holden) he should have been the cherry on top , a final piece in the jigsaw to push us over a line

Instead we are thankful to him most weeks for saving us a point or saving a drubbing

Imagine Bentley added to say , SCs squad,  or the team that went to the Etihad....... 

Definitely player of the season, definitely one of the best keepers we've had in the last 30 years.

It's inevitable he will be sold fairly soon, he's the only real asset we have. The sad things are a surpressed market will almost certainly drive down his transfer fee and I believe there's a sell-on fee owed to Brentford on any profit above the reported £2m we paid for him. 

11 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I wonder if @Sniper was saying: we'll never get promoted while being a selling club. 

Brentford show it is possible to challenge consistently at this level  despite selling their best and financially limited compared to bigger clubs (hence why SL has asked for top 6, you would think) - it can be done - but few will be able to match their excellence on and off the pitch.

12 hours ago, Better Red said:

Give it to him now. He has been brilliant.

Promotion?when your best player is your goal keeper....

Who would second place is a bit more tricky.. Pato? looks better every game he does not play. 

Most like be Mawson if he stays fit. ATM it's Fam, Nagy or Kalas next for me so far - which says more about how inconsistent the rest have been as opposed to how good they've been as such, as all three have had their flaws.

If Bentley makes the Euros then what price for an English international goalkeeper? Decent keepers seem to go for astronomical sums to the top premier clubs and Dan Bentley has all the attributes to be a top premiership keeper if he can maintain reasonable consistency. I say 'reasonable' as even the elite keepers make mistakes and are capable of losing form for a bit. I'd be disappointed to see him go but if it was for a potentially massive amount of 40m plus then it would set city up if the recruitment team gets it right.  That's a bit of a big if though.

2 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

If Bentley makes the Euros then what price for an English international goalkeeper? Decent keepers seem to go for astronomical sums to the top premier clubs and Dan Bentley has all the attributes to be a top premiership keeper if he can maintain reasonable consistency. I say 'reasonable' as even the elite keepers make mistakes and are capable of losing form for a bit. I'd be disappointed to see him go but if it was for a potentially massive amount of 40m plus then it would set city up if the recruitment team gets it right.  That's a bit of a big if though.

They offer £5-10m and offer him £100k a week....head turned, and rightly so, and off he goes.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Same here in my 3 decades. Absolutely phenomenal. I rated Maenpaa highly but Bentley even on another level to him now. 

Prem level goalkeeper for sure as long as he keeps this up. A big chunk of the season gone and he's been almost faultless, as well as pulling off some unbelievable saves and being so quick off his line, sweeping up and distributing so well. 

He will likely be the next big money sale. But I also rate Max highly, so not worried about it.

For any young keepers out there his footwork demonstrated in his ‘In net’ videos is fantastic , his feet constantly on the move , constantly adjusting , and whenever the ball is within range of goal constantly poised and balanced ready to react Or spring  (Down to his constant footwork) 

Decisive , athletic and very professional - Premier League Class IMHO

Archived