IGNORED

Informative Sky Commentary

TomThumb84

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Do you mean BP this coming week and Twentyman the following week? Bit late this week for BP isn't it? Would match up with him saying he'd do something with Twentyman once the window closed as well and soon after it.

Interview today with the BP, not sure when it’ll be published. Twentyman next show.

4 hours ago, Lenners said:

Facing up to the media I’m told, will be doing a BP interview this week and will be on Sound of the City with Twentyman next week.

Should be interesting.

Yeah interesting indeed, Geoff to his credit never hides away from asking the hard questions.

I would hope he really presses Ashton hard on his opinion on the quality of football being played by this team.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yeah interesting indeed, Geoff to his credit never hides away from asking the hard questions.

I would hope he really presses Ashton hard on his opinion on the quality of football being played by this team.

I suspect he would duck questions on pitch matters. I hope Geoff presses him on the squad quantity vs quality balance, the recurring injury crisis and whether the fitness team are good enough, whether we need a squad clear out to improve our FFP position and whether he has reassessed our performance target for this season in light of our current league position.

Interesting. Does that mean that there is a signing or two between now and then coming in, that enables the slimy sod to tell us he's been working every hour under the sun to get people in?

He won't usually make an appearance unless there's a positive or two to talk about, and let's face it, the questions he's likely to get asked about are around the following:

1. Appointment of Holden

2. Lack of signings

3. Contracts of Fam, Walsh, and anyone else running out in the summer

4. Accounts 

5. Medical team/injuries

6. Quality of football

Unless the interview is of benefit to Ashton himself, he usually keeps quiet and stays hidden away. That list doesn't seem very positive does it?

Mark Ashton is a manifestation of what football has become - a money making machine.
With it comes the corporate BS, control of image, etc. and it does not sit well with some.

For the people on this thread who work for corporates, they will know that their marketing departments get more than the people who are the doers. But this is how successful businesses work and it keeps the doers in a job. This fact doesn't sit well with some who can't get over their political beliefs or because of some perceived unfairness of it all. The bottom line is, some people just don't like to think of their football club as a business.

Those who work for smaller businesses, work in the civil service, or not work at all, might look at likes of Mark Ashton with bemusement.

The very system that Mark works in will at some point chew him up, spit him out and he'll move on to some other corporate position. I doubt he will be upset about it and won't care what people think because he knows that's the nature of his job. Anyone doing his job has to have a thick skin.

Has Mark Ashton got to the point where he's to be chewed up and spat up?
There are some on this site who'd like to think so, however I suspect they are letting their personal biases and feelings affect their judgement.
Personally, I've got to an age where I no longer have that personal connection with the club and no longer get as emotional as I used to about what's going on at the club (a case of knowing the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference). I think it's called maturity (cue the pejoratives) and considering I know jack about running a football club or how to run a successful football team, and won't pretend otherwise, I'll get my magic 8 ball out and predict Mark Ashton will be here for another....

43 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Mark Ashton is a manifestation of what football has become - a money making machine.
With it comes the corporate BS, control of image, etc. and it does not sit well with some.

For the people on this thread who work for corporates, they will know that their marketing departments get more than the people who are the doers. But this is how successful businesses work and it keeps the doers in a job. This fact doesn't sit well with some who can't get over their political beliefs or because of some perceived unfairness of it all. The bottom line is, some people just don't like to think of their football club as a business.

Those who work for smaller businesses, work in the civil service, or not work at all, might look at likes of Mark Ashton with bemusement.

The very system that Mark works in will at some point chew him up, spit him out and he'll move on to some other corporate position. I doubt he will be upset about it and won't care what people think because he knows that's the nature of his job. Anyone doing his job has to have a thick skin.

There are some on this site who'd like to think so, however I suspect they are letting their personal biases and feelings affect their judgement.
Personally, I've got to an age where I no longer have that personal connection with the club and no longer get as emotional as I used to about what's going on at the club (a case of knowing the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference). I think it's called maturity (cue the pejoratives) and considering I know jack about running a football club or how to run a successful football team, and won't pretend otherwise, I'll get my magic 8 ball out and predict Mark Ashton will be here for another....

Ironic how you describe football as 'a money making machine' so soon after our accounts reveal yet another huge loss.

However much people dislike the 'corporate' approach, it's what we need to be able to sign/pay better players, have a decent ground and training facilities, provide a shop and ticketing facilities that tries to meet fans' expectations (they certainly expect these parts of the club to run like a well-oiled corporate machine) and so on

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Yep, the ‘all froth, no substance’ approach to life. 

One can operate for so long on such a basis, and then there’s a ‘big bang’ adjustment. 

Hopefully, we’re not that far off that ‘adjustment’ at City and, nationally, with Bonkers Boris. 

50 minutes ago, red panda said:

Ironic how you describe football as 'a money making machine' so soon after our accounts reveal yet another huge loss.

However much people dislike the 'corporate' approach, it's what we need to be able to sign/pay better players, have a decent ground and training facilities, provide a shop and ticketing facilities that tries to meet fans' expectations (they certainly expect these parts of the club to run like a well-oiled corporate machine) and so on

In the big scheme of things, football is a 'money making machine'.
At a team level, it might not feel like it and this is what causes the problems.
Political types would probably go on about things like 'inequality' and belief that the cash should be shared around.
The day that happens will remove the competitiveness of the game.

I've got nothing against critique of owners, management, the team etc.
What I do have a problem with is the inverted snobbery and entitlement that some seem to have, which all too ofter shines through on some postings.

SL is making mistakes but considering that it's his money he's making mistakes with, I'll cut him some slack.
Fans who aren't happy with it can let their feet do the walking, but no doubt when success materialises, will be back.

Mark Ashton is what he is: a shirt and tie.
I suspect that more than half of what is said about him is BS, lapped up, tossed around as the truth, etc., only because it feeds into the beliefs of unhappy people.
A critique of him that is not personal is a rarity on this site.
History, all too often distorted, will tell us if he was successful or not (he will not be entitled to success with some, irrespective of his success).

The people who should be on the receiving end of the critique are the team. They play the game.
What pisses me off about football more than anything is, it's not possible to sack a football player for being shit, not being a professional, etc. They are effectively bullet proof and paid a lot of money for this privilege. They are untouchable, a position that many would like to be in during these uncertain times.

And oh the manager, just where to start.
When DH was set up as the manager, I was underwhelmed. The only thing I can think of is this: the cheap option due to Covid.
But he's here, I can't do anything about it.
To a certain extent he's lucky because fans aren't in the stadium but he'd better start getting his act together soon as he's only got respite for a few more months.

All we can do is watch the soap opera, or maybe more apt in some others minds, the nightmare.
TBF, we aren't placed badly in the table at the moment but if current form continues, there are signs of a serious slip down the table.

Currently, while I'm watching City, I do it with incredulity and I'm wondering just what the team have been doing all week, it all seems rather school boy like.
I don't however go looking for some other scape goat to blame for the teams poor showing because that would be an absurd thing to do.

Maybe we can blame the newts and otters at Ashton Vale?

But hey, this is what it's like to be a Bristol City supporter.

COYR

2 hours ago, dave36 said:

This article just reflects a belief that Mark Ashton is some boogeyman and because it tends to support this belief, is stood front and centre as proof of this.

Ok, without looking, was MA pushed from Watford or did he resign? The article is not clear on this point but prefers to talk about a 'departure'.
Does this journo like MA?
Is the journo being objective?
Is this an opinion piece?
Etc.

Someone else might read it as:
Journo not happy with MA because MA controls access to club, upsetting the previous status quo with access to the club.
Journo waits, MA leaves, and then has his chance to have a dig, and to corroborate his poor view, finds someone who was also unhappy with MA.

Some journalists are great people who put themselves in danger to get the story out there and then there are paparazzi types who just dig shit. On reading this piece, I don't even get a flicker on my serious journalist flickerometer. It's an opinion piece. It is tittle tattle, reserved for those who like a good gossip.

What is the Oxford United view of MA?
Or does this not fit with the narrative about MA?

10 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

This article just reflects a belief that Mark Ashton is some boogeyman and because it tends to support this belief, is stood front and centre as proof of this.

Ok, without looking, was MA pushed from Watford or did he resign? The article is not clear on this point but prefers to talk about a 'departure'.
Does this journo like MA?
Is the journo being objective?
Is this an opinion piece?
Etc.

Someone else might read it as:
Journo not happy with MA because MA controls access to club, upsetting the previous status quo with access to the club.
Journo waits, MA leaves, and then has his chance to have a dig, and to corroborate his poor view, finds someone who was also unhappy with MA.

Some journalists are great people who put themselves in danger to get the story out there and then there are paparazzi types who just dig shit. On reading this piece, I don't even get a flicker on my serious journalist flickerometer. It's an opinion piece. It is tittle tattle, reserved for those who like a good gossip.

What is the Oxford United view of MA?
Or does this not fit with the narrative about MA?

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/author/profile/253.Oliver_Phillips/

Doesn't appear to be a pap, worked at the Observer for 40 years…

Also some interesting comments too

25 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/author/profile/253.Oliver_Phillips/

Doesn't appear to be a pap, worked at the Observer for 40 years…

Also some interesting comments too

If you had years of working with a club, which it appears he clearly loves, and someone came a long and severed the connection, would you be a tad pissed off?

It's an opinion piece and that shows.

What about the state of the Watford when MA joined and during his tenure?
What about the state of the Watford when MA left and the subsequent history?
It is the deliberate ignorance of any success of MA might have had that is missing, what state the club was in, etc.
Just how 'bad' was MA at Oxford because you don't become 'bad' at one club only?
In some circles, this oversight is called wilful blindness.

I'm no rah rah MA supporter. In fact, I don't even really think about him that much as he doesn't figure on my radar.
I'm more interested in the team and performance.
Those who like to think MA is the architect of all our woes remind me of David Icke followers who see subterfuge and intrigue in every corner, seeking to blame the Illuminate/elite/lizard people of all the worlds woes.

City are doing what City have been doing for the past 40 years - being inconsistent.
Some fans have moved their whinging/moaning from the pub to the 24/7 Internet, with all of the at a touch information that allows them to pour over peoples past, skipping the good parts and concentrating only on the parts that support their view.

You look hard enough, and you'll find it on the Internet.

10 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

If you had years of working with a club, which it appears he clearly loves, and someone came a long and severed the connection, would you be a tad pissed off?

It is the deliberate ignorance of any success of MA might have had that is missing, what state the club was in, etc.
Just how 'bad' was MA at Oxford because you don't become 'bad' at one club only?

I'm no rah rah MA supporter. In fact, I don't even really think about him that much as he doesn't figure on my radar.
Those who like to think MA is the architect of all our woes remind me of David Icke followers who see subterfuge and intrigue in every corner, seeking to blame the Illuminate/elite/lizard people of all the worlds woes.

City are doing what City have been doing for the past 40 years - being inconsistent.
Some fans have moved their whinging/moaning from the pub to the 24/7 Internet, with all of the at a touch information that allows them to pour over peoples past, skipping the good parts and concentrating only on the parts that support their view.

Your choice , but personally if you have genuine interest in the Club and where we are heading , or just what you see on the grass

I suggest you do

Because he’s the man overseeing and at the very least steering , every aspect of what you see on the pitch - and all roads lead back to his management and appointments in all the relevant departments

13 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I don't know, perhaps you could ask Mr Phillips.

Perhaps City have been managed badly for the last 40 years?

People bringing into question MA's/SL's tenure hardly compares to those who believe in shape-shifting lizards and that the earth is flat…

27 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

You may not be interested in Ashton, that’s fine. 
But if you do not understand the link between ‘team and performance’ and the person who heads up everything that feeds into ‘team and performance’ then you are being either very naive or wilfully ignorant. 
To wash that off as lizardy conspiracy tells me which. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

But if you do not understand the link between ‘team and performance’ and the person who heads up everything that feeds into ‘team and performance’ then you are being either very naive or wilfully ignorant. 

Alternatively stick our heads in the sand , fingers in our ears .... and when we are once again at home to Rochdale on opening day

Exclaim

How the *** did we get back here ‘

9 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Alternatively stick our heads in the sand , fingers in our ears .... and when we are once again at home to Rochdale on opening day

Exclaim

How the *** did we get back here ‘

Exactly Shelts. 
As I’ve said before on here “none so blind as those who will not see”. 
Anyone who isn’t worried about the decline in performance, in financials, in recruitment plan, in apathy toward the fans etc etc, needs to open their eyes. 
And that’s a direct message to SL too - he needs to see this decline is happening NOW. If we don’t react NOW then don’t be surprised when we find ourselves visiting Gresty Road, Priestfield and Bloomfield Road again soon. 

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Your choice , but personally if you have genuine interest in the Club and where we are heading , or just what you see on the grass

I suggest you do

Because he’s the man overseeing and at the very least steering , every aspect of what you see on the pitch - and all roads lead back to his management and appointments in all the relevant departments

And that is where we differ in opinion.

MA is not playing on the pitch, does not pick the team (despite what some like to believe) and does not set the team up.
There are other teams that have less resources than City and despite this are able to give a good account of themselves. There are other teams that have better resources than us but we do better than them. Riddle me this.

His decisions on appointments etc. have been questionable on occasion, there are no doubts but to only talk about those and not some of his other decisions points to an unbalanced way of looking at things. It points more to a 'blame game'

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't know, perhaps you could ask Mr Phillips.

Perhaps City have been managed badly for the last 40 years?

People bringing into question MA's/SL's tenure hardly compares to those who believe in shape-shifting lizards and that the earth is flat…

MA hasn't been here for 40 years has and nor has SL.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Damn there is some twisted logic in there. So that we are clear, the coach/manager/what ever you want to call him, is responsible for what is taking place on the pitch i.e. he manages and if done well, a good performance happens. If he does poorly, the performance is poor. And somehow, he's responsible for the poor performance but not any good performance (have you ever sung MAs praises or are you a doom and gloom sort of guy only?). Naivety and ignorance doesn't appear to be a double edged sword in your world.

As to the lizard conspiracy stuff, I thought you guys would recognise when piss taking was taking place i.e. the absurdity of some of the 'reasoning' given that MA is responsible for 'all of' City's woes smacks of conspiratorial thinking. Looks like maybe you read things and don't question the content after all? I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly Shelts. 
As I’ve said before on here “none so blind as those who will not see”. 
Anyone who isn’t worried about the decline in performance, in financials, in recruitment plan, in apathy toward the fans etc etc, needs to open their eyes. 
And that’s a direct message to SL too - he needs to see this decline is happening NOW. If we don’t react NOW then don’t be surprised when we find ourselves visiting Gresty Road, Priestfield and Bloomfield Road again soon. 

Echo... echo.... echo.... echo...

5 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

MA is not playing on the pitch, does not pick the team (despite what some like to believe) and does not set the team up.
There are other teams that have less resources than City and despite this are able to give a good account of themselves. There are other teams that have better resources than us but we do better than them. Riddle me this.

His decisions on appointments etc. have been questionable on occasion, there are no doubts but to only talk about those and not some of his other decisions points to an unbalanced way of looking at things. It points more to a 'blame game'

Damn there is some twisted logic in there. So that we are clear, the coach/manager/what ever you want to call him, is responsible for what is taking place on the pitch i.e. he manages and if done well, a good performance happens. If he does poorly, the performance is poor. And somehow, he's responsible for the poor performance but not any good performance (have you ever sung MAs praises or are you a doom and gloom sort of guy only?). Naivety and ignorance doesn't appear to be a double edged sword in your world.

As to the lizard conspiracy stuff, I thought you guys would recognise when piss taking was taking place i.e. the absurdity of some of the 'reasoning' given that MA is responsible for 'all of' City's woes smacks of conspiratorial thinking. Looks like maybe you read things and don't question the content after all? I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

I’ll give praise where it’s due. Ashton deserved credit for negotiating some very good outgoing fees. I’ve been on record on here as saying that. So you are wrong that I’m all one-way. 
Nothing else he’s done in his 5 years (+12 months in 2012) deserves any recognition whatsoever. 

If we had built a successful playing team and staff, then I would hail Ashton as having been behind that. But we haven’t, ergo, he hasn’t. He’s an expensive failure. Not only in terms of his own earnings, but in terms of the longer term damage he is bringing to this club. 

41 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

If you think the only influence to results on the pitch are the Head Coach then I’m afraid you are very naive

He might be in a key position but with our set up is merely a cog in the wheel

A good , average or poor cog 

Recruitment , fitness and conditioning , medical team ..... even the work of Matt Parsons or Scott Murray to more minor degrees all have a influence 

All come under the appointments and management  of our Head Of Football Operations

Im not sure whether you read some searching posts on here or some of the analytical scrutiny of the finances , recruitment etc by some intelligent and articulate posters - You May also have missed many posts  over the last few years , incl recently , about positive aspects of MA - Fees achieved in some instances etc

I started as , virtually all in here will have , as a complete neutral on MA but if you can’t see or havnt bothered to see warning signs at least and ‘focus purely on what’s going on in the pitch’ you have a very narrow snapshot of the Club and as such , can’t possibly understand what you are seeing in the pitch , or rather why 

Thats of course your choice and right but I don’t believe you sit there watching games with such a narrow vision questioning why we have this head coach , or that one , or why we rarely sign players that live up to expectations etc etc

But as I’m sure you do , there a lot of fans , and on here , that care deeply about their Club and want to be alive to what is happening across the Club , and certainly what affects what they get to see every Saturday when they stump up their hard earned cash to watch

Many , unsurprisingly , want to try and see why we never achieve , certainly of any note 

Thats not , and anything but a witch hunt 

Archived