IGNORED

Informative Sky Commentary

TomThumb84

....and if the focus is just on the pitch, don’t then question why we keep selling our best players.  Furthermore don’t question that when we sell Bentley for £6m, that it’s not all spent on new players, or if Kalas goes for £5m in the summer that’s only a £1m profit in the accounts.

Its a big Venn Diagram, one where a “self-promoter” has put himself firmly in the middle but doesn’t want  the responsibility and accountability that goes with it.

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We made him an offer at the back end of the summer. That was one of the biggest contract offers that this football club has ever made to a player. Ever.

At least it’s not about money - Loves the Club mind 

I'm glad to hear we're keen to keep him by making him multiple offers, but in a year of financial austerity for the club I'm more concerned we've offered one of the biggest contract offers that this football club has ever made to a player who scores roughly 14 goals a season.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'm glad to hear we're keen to keep him by making him multiple offers, but in a year of financial austerity for the club I'm more concerned we've offered one of the biggest contract offers that this football club has ever made to a player who scores roughly 14 goals a season.

I’d totally agree 

Besides which you set a precedent for every one else - with a whole host of contracts expiring

Hes been lively recently , while he’s in the shop window , possibly his liveliest

What happens if he gets his new big contract he’s after ?

38 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

So after reading this, (and thank you Mark for the clarity off the back of the initial press release from Gary Weaver of Sky Sports), we may be bringing a loan in still and were very close to two, but Dean Holden has always said we wouldn’t.

The update on the injury crisis should be worth waiting for. I have a difficult meeting coming up in work and I am hoping for a masterclass in a lot of words that sound great but mean nothing that I can utilise for it.

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’d totally agree 

Besides which you set a precedent for every one else - with a whole host of contracts expiring

Hes been lively recently , while he’s in the shop window , possibly his liveliest

What happens if he gets his new big contract he’s after ?

Yep, 100%.

The effort he showed in flashes against Norwich and the channel runs he made v Preston, was the full-tilt Fam I’ve asked for in a long time.

Nailed it.  Shop window.

Im hugely critical of Ashton on recruitment, but I’m glad he’s not had a gun put to his head, and it’s clear (let me be clear ?) that perhaps the timing of this interview is two-fold:

• commentator blabbed
  • letting Fam know the situation

@Lennersnow the interview is out there is this the sort of “reasons” you refer to above?

Thought a couple of quotes were interesting:

"So what Steve [Lansdown] has said to me is - and this is where Steve is really good - is when I've said 'do you want me to market him' or 'do you want me to sell him?' Steve has said no.

It's Ashton asking Lansdown who he should sell and when - no mention of Dean in there.

If you get an offer for any player, bring it to me, bring it to Dean, we will discuss it and if it's the right thing for the club we'll do it.

Dean is mentioned here however - so could just be poor wording?

"I say to Dean: 'you deal with the cards that you've got. You play the hand that you've got'," added Ashton. "So if Famara's here for 5, 25 or 105 games, if you deem him right for selection you play him and you get on with that. And he's [Dean] fine with that.

Should Bristol City still play Famara if he won't sign a new deal?

"100 per cent. Dean's call. That sits with the manager," says Ashton.

"As long as the manager is happy with the attitude and the effort and the energy then absolutely. That's my opinion and that's what Steve has said," he added.

These two almost sound contradictory to me.

It's totally up to the manager - because that's what Steve has said.

It sounds a bit like Ashton asks Lansdown, who gives an opinion, and Ashton then tells it to Dean... in this case it happened to be "play him if you want". Maybe that's normal?

But it does make it sound a bit like it's not the managers choice to do what he wants in these situations... it's the managers choice provided Lansdown and Ashton have let him even have a choice.

Perhaps I'm just reading a bit too much into this after recent posts - curious what others think.

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Thought a couple of quotes were interesting:

It's Ashton asking Lansdown who he should sell and when - no mention of Dean in there.

Dean is mentioned here however - so could just be poor wording?

These two almost sound contradictory to me.

It's totally up to the manager - because that's what Steve has said.

It sounds a bit like Ashton asks Lansdown, who gives an opinion, and Ashton then tells it to Dean... in this case it happened to be "play him if you want". Maybe that's normal?

But it does make it sound a bit like it's not the managers choice to do what he wants in these situations... it's the managers choice provided Lansdown and Ashton have let him even have a choice.

Perhaps I'm just reading a bit too much into this after recent posts - curious what others think.

It’s a fair challenge.  FWIW re contract let’s just assume everyone is telling the truth.  Dean wants Diedhiou to stay.  So Ashton then has a decision to make.  Either accept Fam’s demands or see what the other options are.  He goes to SL - we can only assume with some options in terms of value etc - and SL says do what you think is best.  MA has gone back to Dean and said you can play him if you want and we aren’t bowing to his contract demands.

I can only assume that Ashton is working overtime to try to sell him...but only if he can get the right amount, and SL is ok with that.

I’d love to dig out Ashton on this interview, and of course it might be him being careful with his wording, but I’m generally comfortable with this snippet. ??‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a fair challenge.  FWIW re contract let’s just assume everyone is telling the truth.  Dean wants Diedhiou to stay.  So Ashton then has a decision to make.  Either accept Fam’s demands or see what the other options are.  He goes to SL - we can only assume with some options in terms of value etc - and SL says do what you think is best.  MA has gone back to Dean and said you can play him if you want and we aren’t bowing to his contract demands.

I can only assume that Ashton is working overtime to try to sell him...but only if he can get the right amount, and SL is ok with that.

I’d love to dig out Ashton on this interview, and of course it might be him being careful with his wording, but I’m generally comfortable with this snippet. ??‍♂️

I would agree Dave, I am very wary of Ashton, but this interview is hard to pull apart.

Carefully worded, well rehearsed and reactionary to fit a narrative maybe, but delivered with conviction and also adds up, just a very strange way of getting to this point.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And in fairness , when you’re talking (Certainly in our terms) an expensive player and the money involved in a new contract or the ‘loss’ of him walking away OOC - you would expect Ashton to go to Lansdown and say ‘We’ve got a problem .....Famara is not signing and the clock is ticking ..... what’s your view’ 

It is SL who covers the losses and you can’t see a situation where any owner says in May 

‘ What the hell happened with Famara , I see in the BBC website he’s gone to ******* On a free 

I’m not convinced Holden is a monstrous Famara fan but even if he is , and desperately wants to keep him , his view should be taken into consideration but it is one where I can fully understand MA via SL overruling and saying ‘We arnt paying £xxx’

Tbf to Holden he strikes me as someone who wouldn’t ever expect the Club to be held to ransom and would totally understand the stance 

Did everyone miss the bit on sky when they said about Ashton

"That's what he's been told by the owners"?

Ashton is an example of pretty much everything I dislike about 'corporate business' - but does anyone REALLY think he's treating BCFC like Tombstone and strutting around like Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, doing what he wants, when he wants?

Of course not - Lansdown has given the green light for every single thing Ashton has done.

And there it is - offers to Fammy, all turned down - and instructions FROM THE OWNERS to Ashton, to let him run down the contract and walk for free.

For goodness sake - Lansdown won't be dictated to by ANYONE, he's no doddery old Mr Grace type character  -  he's a hard-nosed businessman who tells Ashton what to do and when to do it.

Or do you all think Ashton picked up the phone and went - 'Hey Steve, I've appointed Dean Holden - great Human"

"Who? Oh well, you've done very well Mark - pay him what you thinks best"

"Can I tell him to sign a couple of washed up old pro's for free too"

"Of course Mark, I'll leave you to it, Antiques Roadshow is on in a minute, and Mrs Pennyweather has made a fresh Apple Pie to go with the lovely cream they make down here"

"I'll keep you in the loop boss"

"No need mark, just send blank cheques and I'll sign them.  Are we going up this year Mark?"

"Definitely Boss"

"Jolly good - ah, must go, Pennyweathers here with my Pie"

FFS, Ashtons a creep - but he does NOTHING without Lansdowns input.  But carry on - it's all Ashton running a covert ops  programme, robbing poor ol' Steve of his hard earned.........

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

And in fairness , when you’re talking (Certainly in our terms an expensive player and the money involved in a new contract or the ‘loss’ of him walking away OOC ) you would expect Ashton to go to Lansdown and say ‘We’ve got a problem .....Famara is not signing and the clock is ticking ..... what’s your view’ 

It is SL who covers the losses and you can’t see a situation where any owner says in aMay -

‘ What the hell happened with Famara , I see in the BBC website he’s gone to ******* On a free 

I’m not convinced Holden is a monstrous Famara fan but even if he is , and desperately wants to keep him , his view should be taken into consideration but it is one where I can fully understand MA via SL overruling and saying ‘We arnt paying £xxx’

Tbf to Holden he strikes me as someone who wouldn’t ever expect the Club to be held to ransom and would totally understand the stance 

No, maybe not, but you’d want to keep him as a 4 striker perm wouldn’t you?  If that is the case, would you be offering your “squad striker” one of the best deals the club have ever offered?  I wouldn’t.  I’m happy with the club’s stance on this from what we’ve read.

Can imagine Warnock having a sniff around Twitter tonight.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, maybe not, but you’d want to keep him as a 4 striker perm wouldn’t you?  If that is the case, would you be offering your “squad striker” one of the best deals the club have ever offered?  I wouldn’t.  I’m happy with the club’s stance on this from what we’ve read.

Can imagine Warnock having a sniff around Twitter tonight.

Yes , probably as a squad player (Unless he maintains his recent flashes of play in which case more likely a  starter , but then I’d look back over last 3 years )

But honestly ? in  DHs position ,and  knowing there is only a certain budget that can only be spent once

If MA said to me ‘Do you want to keep Famara’

My response would be ‘Depends , how much does he want ?’

And

‘What else is about or could we expect  for less than that’

I certainly wouldn’t even consider paying him the sort of amounts it’s likely he’s asking , but then I would have moved him on 18 months / 2 years ago

Like you I agree with the Clubs stance - *** him , don’t let the door hit your arse when you leave

I wonder how many times he’ll say ‘football club’ in the interview. Full of spiel and salesman talk. 
Negotiated some fantastic sales but boy is he annoying with his phrases and buzz words. 
Also im not lost on the irony of 2 loan players not coming because theyre injured! ?

3 parts standout for me. 

1) “I brought him in. Let’s be clear”. 
So....who’s in charge of recruitment again? There’s your answer right there. 

2) Offered one of the best contracts in the history of the club. 
What, with currently zero income, huge financial losses, no season ticket money coming any time soon, and a potential wage cap on the horizon. 
Seems to make good business sense ?

3) Dean has to play with the cards he’s got. 
Again, goes back to the old recruitment argument - Here’s the players I’ve signed for you Dean, now play the hand you’re dealt. 

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s instalment...... 

Wonder if the Twitter rumour of breaking covid rules by bringing his girlfriend to a game might come up in conversation? Doubt it...... 

16 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I wonder how many times he’ll say ‘football club’ in the interview. Full of spiel and salesman talk. 
Negotiated some fantastic sales but boy is he annoying with his phrases and buzz words. 
Also im not lost on the irony of 2 loan players not coming because theyre injured! ?

I read that bit to mean that injuries to other players at their clubs prevented them going anywhere.

Although it probably just saves time!

Archived