IGNORED

Informative Sky Commentary

TomThumb84

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I'm glad to hear we're keen to keep him by making him multiple offers, but in a year of financial austerity for the club I'm more concerned we've offered one of the biggest contract offers that this football club has ever made to a player who scores roughly 14 goals a season.

The sad thing is no one else in the squad is anywhere close to 14 goals a season. 

With his injuries and regular suspensions 14 a season is pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

3 parts standout for me. 

1) “I brought him in. Let’s be clear”. 
So....who’s in charge of recruitment again? There’s your answer right there.

I’m not sure what to make of that.  Is it just him using the “I” because he’s a self-promoter, or is it because he recruited him.  Are you suggesting Lee didn’t want him?

Maybe that’s why he played him as a target man! ?

Seriously though, do you think there’s a case for saying “Kodjia was id’d by the old regime, I can do the same”?

I’ve never thought of it like that, and in fairness the Diedhiou I watched at Angers was much like the one I’ve seen in flashes against Preston and Norwich...not the one asked to play as a target man.

2) Offered one of the best contracts in the history of the club. 
What, with currently zero income, huge financial losses, no season ticket money coming any time soon, and a potential wage cap on the horizon. 
Seems to make good business sense ?

Tend to agree / definitely agree!  I wouldn’t be making him one of our highest earners.  The only caveat it trying to gamble on him signing a deal, going on a run, and somehow getting a dream move that earns us more money.  Personally I think that ship has sailed, Ashton knows it, and is trying to move him on now, and is putting the bait out....knowing he has SL’s backing if he can’t shift.

3) Dean has to play with the cards he’s got. 
Again, goes back to the old recruitment argument - Here’s the players I’ve signed for you Dean, now play the hand you’re dealt.

Recruitment is crap, mixed at best.  It needs ripping up.  Nobody expects every signing to be a success, but we’ve seen no consistency, no plan.  Partly down to head-coach.

it can’t be rocket science to appoint a manager on the basis of a playing and recruitment style and make them accountable/responsible for working within it.

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s instalment...... 

Wonder if the Twitter rumour of breaking covid rules by bringing his girlfriend to a game might come up in conversation? Doubt it......

I saw that!

⬆️⬆️⬆️

If your whole remit of recruitment is based on making money, “trading players” then you won’t ever be fully focussed on a playing style/ team ethic. MA/SL are thinking of players as commodities, they’ve lost sight of the football aspect.
I get the feeling that MA is putting it out there about Fam not wanting to sign, to cover his back, make Fam out to be the bad guy/greedy. He says it’s one of the best contracts in the history of the club, what does he mean by that? Contracts aren’t all about wages, they’re a lot more complicated than that.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

3 parts standout for me. 

What, with currently zero income, huge financial losses, no season ticket money coming any time soon, and a potential wage cap on the horizon. 

Again, goes back to the old recruitment argument - Here’s the players I’ve signed for you Dean, now play the hand you’re dealt. 

Wonder if the Twitter rumour of breaking covid rules by bringing his girlfriend to a game might come up in conversation? Doubt it...... 

Was it his daughter? Somebody on Twitter mentioned a 20 yr old, his daughter would be around that age.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

3 parts standout for me. 

Intriguing too that he gave Holden permission to play Fammy. Which means he could also have forbidden it.

If he had, DH would have been the one facing questions as to why Fammy wasn't getting games, not Ashton. He would have to lie in response or drop Ashton in it.

Shouldn't team selection be a matter for the Head Coach alone?

29 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Was it his daughter? Somebody on Twitter mentioned a 20 yr old, his daughter would be around that age.

No it wasn’t. 
But even if it was, she would still not be allowed into the ‘bubble’. It’s still breaking protocol, daughter or not (and it’s not, 100%). 

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

No it wasn’t. 
But even if it was, she would still not be allowed into the ‘bubble’. It’s still breaking protocol, daughter or not (and it’s not, 100%). 

Ok. 
I’m not questioning the fact he might have broken protocol or not. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, maybe not, but you’d want to keep him as a 4 striker perm wouldn’t you?  If that is the case, would you be offering your “squad striker” one of the best deals the club have ever offered?  I wouldn’t.  I’m happy with the club’s stance on this from what we’ve read.

Can imagine Warnock having a sniff around Twitter tonight.

Assombalonga out of contract this summer. Huge wages. Sign Fam on a free as a replacement. 

Really hope we sell Fam this window and use small amount we get to fund a loan signing of a hungry striker with pace and an ability to score goals. If Famara was brilliant and banging in goals every week then I could see the argument of keeping him but he doesn’t bring enough to the team IMO. Get rid and bring in someone hungry to succeed (Another Abraham please!) 

So confirmed again by MA -

1) SL is involved in everyday, player decisions. There's no.."here's your budget, go make the decisions" - it's hands on and shared responsibility.

2) MA taking credit/responsibility for transfers.

3) Manager having to work with hand they are dealt.

Interesting insights - that said, sensible decisions r.e Fam's contract IMO.

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

So confirmed again by MA -

1) SL is involved in everyday, player decisions. There's no.."here's your budget, go make the decisions" - it's hands on and shared responsibility.

2) MA taking credit/responsibility for transfers.

3) Manager having to work with hand they are dealt.

Interesting insights - that said, sensible decisions r.e Fam's contract IMO.

Largely confirms what we knew in terms of Ashton's role and the power he has. He certainly can't be accused of lacking clarity about that.

Though I find it puzzling that despite what he has said, and the club explicitly saying when he was appointed that he is in control of all day to day football operations, there are still posters who insist the Head Coach is the one with the power.

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Largely confirms what we knew in terms of Ashton's role and the power he has. He certainly can't be accused of lacking clarity about that.

Though I find it puzzling that despite what he has said, and the club explicitly saying when he was appointed that he is in control of all day to day football operations, there are still posters who insist the Head Coach is the one with the power.

And explains why we ended up with Holden 

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think it's really important from our point of view to understand exactly this, because when we discuss managers, sacking and potential new ones, you've got to understand that the way the club is run will put off certain coaches.

A prime example, Cook. Someone fancied by many when Holden was appointed. We've since heard he came down and didn't think it was the 'right fit'. Code for he wouldn't work in our structure. We can debate what is right or wrong, but in reality your'e drastically reducing the pond you can fish for new coaches when they've got a heavily involved owner and powerful CEO.

How many attempts at uncovering a top young/next best coach will SL make before he realises he has to change the structure? It may work at league one level, perhaps champ, but IF we ever got in the prem, you've got to think top calibre coaches could be put right off.

In light of this weeks strange set of circumstances around communication from the club, and the subsequent forced clarification from Mark Ashton on said events, I do not think that is is hyperbole or dramatic to now conclude the following:

Steve Lansdown is Owner, and Managing Director

Mark Ashton is CEO, Director of Football and Head of Recruitment

Dean Holden is our Coach/Organises training

Jon Lansdown - anything else

That is it.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

In light of this weeks strange set of circumstances around communication from the club, and the subsequent forced clarification from Mark Ashton on said events, I do not think that is is hyperbole or dramatic to now conclude the following:

Steve Lansdown is Owner, and Managing Director

Mark Ashton is CEO, Director of Football and Head of Recruitment

Dean Holden is our Coach/Organises training

Jon Lansdown - anything else as long as he gets to use the crayons he got for Christmas 

That is it.

Fixed.

@Sheltons Army

See below. It’s often covered up by alternative spiel, but this is the cat out of the bag comments. 
The recruitment team (which Ashton oversees) put lists of players to the manager. 
I’ve told you this all along. The manager gets a list of players thrust upon him and he can take some of them off if he thinks they’re useless. But he doesn’t have the final choice as to which one from that list comes in - he just gets the list handed to him and is allowed to knock a few names off of it if he wants. The rest is then down to MA. 

EAA0267C-BC91-4500-B75F-C3DCCBE91634.jpeg

A2935C4C-55D3-42BF-8708-66FBF4E7FD2D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

But if it was many would say it was all scripted and just club propaganda.

Possibly LR but giving an interview to a two bob newspaper outfit says he’s has more to hide . And is hoping not many people read the Bristol news website. Bristol City football club should be distributing this information not Bristol news

1 hour ago, Harry said:

@Sheltons Army

See below. It’s often covered up by alternative spiel, but this is the cat out of the bag comments. 
The recruitment team (which Ashton oversees) put lists of players to the manager. 
I’ve told you this all along. The manager gets a list of players thrust upon him and he can take some of them off if he thinks they’re useless. But he doesn’t have the final choice as to which one from that list comes in - he just gets the list handed to him and is allowed to knock a few names off of it if he wants. The rest is then down to MA. 

EAA0267C-BC91-4500-B75F-C3DCCBE91634.jpeg

A2935C4C-55D3-42BF-8708-66FBF4E7FD2D.jpeg

I’ll post later on my view Harry

But it isn’t in sync with yours or your take 

Archived