IGNORED

RB and LB are not good enough

Top Robin

Just now, Lrrr said:

'Rowe is a hard working and adaptable pro' .... there you go

That’s true 

If other more expensive signings on higher wages , contributed a fraction of what he has We would be in much better shape

Gary Neville and Ashley Cole in their prime would have struggled to cope tonight with the help they were given by others

Our full backs arnt top notch but there are more and bigger problems than them 

Both full backs invite the wide men into the box. They always seem to be miles away from the man allowing them time to either run past them or pick cross the ball into the area with no pressure at all.

It's not rocket science. Don't give the wide men any space to receive the ball and if they do then close them down and apply pressure. This has been apparent the last couple of seasons. Jack Hunt is the worst offender.

Rowe has been the weak link every time he plays.

He hasn't the pace to play there not at this level. Time and again he's done but Northern Streaky loves him.

Jack Hunt, I can't agree with you there fella. He gets forward, puts a shift in and can play as a wing back or right back.

2 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Both full backs invite the wide men into the box. They always seem to be miles away from the man allowing them time to either run past them or pick cross the ball into the area with no pressure at all.

It's not rocket science. Don't give the wide men any space to receive the ball and if they do then close them down and apply pressure. This has been apparent the last couple of seasons. Jack Hunt is the worst offender.

Nail on head mate

I think they each had their work cut out for them with Palmer and Adelakun in front of them. I saw Rowe a few times trying to organise Palmer who wasn't responding, leaving Rowe between two jobs - and then he's the one who ends up looking poor while it's really Palmer's lack of discipline which has caused the problem.

While they're not top Championship players I think they're both decent personally and show a bit of fight on occasion (and yes I know what Rowe did today) which we're seriously lacking. I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause of our issues before those two.

I think Hunts perfectly serviceable as a mid table full back at this level. Better as a wing back definitely, but I don’t see him as being the biggest issue we have.

Rowe I think we’ve had better out of him than we expected, or had any right to expect. I think he let himself down tonight but generally he’s good with work rate and puts a shift in - however as a LB he’s definitely bottom six at this level. What we have to remember though, is he’s cover. And I’d be pretty pissed off if we were paying two top 10 LBs at this level.

On the whole, probably the wrong target.

19 minutes ago, Swede said:

Rowe has been the weak link every time he plays.

He hasn't the pace to play there not at this level. Time and again he's done but Northern Streaky loves him.

Jack Hunt, I can't agree with you there fella. He gets forward, puts a shift in and can play as a wing back or right back.

Both honest as the day is long..

But limited.

You want top six???......

These blokes won't bring it...

2 players being flogged to death thanks to circumstances, one is covering out of position and tonight had nothing to do with any of it. We have played narrow FB's in a back 4 for years, so wide men were ending up with space. Tonight we played narrow against a side that love to get WB's into wide spaces and the cover was Palmer & Adelakun, genius move. Hunt has been very good in spells this year, can be inconsistent but as I said , being flogged. Rowe has done a great job covering, but he is probably better in a 4 as he doesn't look natural as a WB. Again, be good to remember he's playing with no rest because 3 players are injured. 
For most of the season they've done a decent job, tonight the acres of space the wide men had was more to do with how we set up, than the personnel .

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

There was a moment late on when Tommy Rowe was significantly ahead of Nakki Wells in the Norwich final third and I lost the will to watch.

People slate NW but really, what were Holden's tactics if NW is dropping back to cover TR (who had no-one ahead of him) - surely this can't be his vision or strategy?

It’s a modern thinking strategy called ‘The Blitz’

If you’ve been tactically stuffed , outplayed and bossed 

Throw on anyone who has ever scored a League goal 

Bit like Charge of the Light Brigade

Good for players development too - Nakhi ending up as a left back will help him in the long run 

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Both our preferred full backs are injured, and these two are being asked to play every game.

With no coaching or direction - are you saying we forgive because they are tired?

Last time I looked we had that chap with masses of Premier League defensive experience at Watford sitting on the bench including today?

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

2 players being flogged to death thanks to circumstances, one is covering out of position and tonight had nothing to do with any of it. We have played narrow FB's in a back 4 for years, so wide men were ending up with space. Tonight we played narrow against a side that love to get WB's into wide spaces and the cover was Palmer & Adelakun, genius move. Hunt has been very good in spells this year, can be inconsistent but as I said , being flogged. Rowe has done a great job covering, but he is probably better in a 4 as he doesn't look natural as a WB. Again, be good to remember he's playing with no rest because 3 players are injured. 
For most of the season they've done a decent job, tonight the acres of space the wide men had was more to do with how we set up, than the personnel .

Out of interest who would you have played instead of them?

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest who would you have played instead of them?

I would have changed shape, Aarons has scored against us before it's no secret they have a threat wide and their movement creates space. I would have gone to what was supposed to be our favourite set up, 3-5-2 even 5-4-1 just to get someone wide. It was clear from early on last night that there was abut 20 yards of space in the FB areas. The last game they destroyed us because there was no pressure on the passer and we lost runners. We needed more in MF, HA tried hard, but they passed around us. I guess Holden wanted us to be compact and keep us narrow, but Palmer & Adelakun aren't naturals at tracking back. Palmer without the ball walks around a lot, HA did try but looked to be chasing shadows. IMO yesterday was a day for packing the MF and try to stop them finding room. 
I'm not pretending to have the answers, but I doubt many looked at that side that started, and thought, yeah we've got a real chance. 
If , to answer your question, we are talking straight swap. I would have gone Bakinson & HNM, slightly better at tracking and maybe a little more presence .

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I would have changed shape, Aarons has scored against us before it's no secret they have a threat wide and their movement creates space. I would have gone to what was supposed to be our favourite set up, 3-5-2 even 5-4-1 just to get someone wide. It was clear from early on last night that there was abut 20 yards of space in the FB areas. The last game they destroyed us because there was no pressure on the passer and we lost runners. We needed more in MF, HA tried hard, but they passed around us. I guess Holden wanted us to be compact and keep us narrow, but Palmer & Adelakun aren't naturals at tracking back. Palmer without the ball walks around a lot, HA did try but looked to be chasing shadows. IMO yesterday was a day for packing the MF and try to stop them finding room. 
I'm not pretending to have the answers, but I doubt many looked at that side that started, and thought, yeah we've got a real chance. 
If , to answer your question, we are talking straight swap. I would have gone Bakinson & HNM, slightly better at tracking and maybe a little more presence .

Ta.  I don’t have the answers either ??‍♂️

I kinda think rowe has done as well as anyone can reasonably have expected. Dasilva is obviously injury prone, and rowe has taken on the left back place in his absence.  

however, i think hunt and rowe are both out of contract this summer, and both ought to be released, im pretty sure everyone will be? Theres a whole load of wages being spent on baker, weimann, pato, hunt and at some point younger players need to be given some time to play.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The way we set up certainly didnt make their jobs easy. But I think we needed 2 quality full backs to have any chance tonight. Hunt was shocking, one of those games we would sometimes see from him under LJ, where he can't pass the ball and gets beaten far too easily.

Rowe, well always thought he's a bit limited at this level. Played well against Preston. Generally been better this season but some pretty poor displays for a while now except that Preston game.

Dasilva I think is class and missing him. And would have loved for us to sign Pereira.

To be fair though, we sort our shape out and they should play better, like most other positions where everyone played poorly. Just far too open, and Holden never did anything to sort that.

No left back would have played well last night when Palmer has absolutely no idea how or where to play when we don't have possession. He is like Tomlin all over again. Why did we sign this liability of a player

Archived