IGNORED

RB and LB are not good enough

Top Robin

The key for me is that with the players that took to the field we should expect better performances.

There have been too many games like this.  Injuries haven’t helped in some cases, but I don’t think it’s an excuse for last night and other games.

15 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think they each had their work cut out for them with Palmer and Adelakun in front of them. I saw Rowe a few times trying to organise Palmer who wasn't responding, leaving Rowe between two jobs - and then he's the one who ends up looking poor while it's really Palmer's lack of discipline which has caused the problem.

While they're not top Championship players I think they're both decent personally and show a bit of fight on occasion (and yes I know what Rowe did today) which we're seriously lacking. I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause of our issues before those two.

Personally thought the job that Palmer & Adelukan was asked to do was the problem. Poor formation selection against a very well drilled team was the problem. They were caught between tucking in & helping out where we were being outnumbered centrally & then having to pick up their wide players & in Palmers case, having to pick up the best attacking full back in the league. COYR 

It's easy to say with hindsight but 4-4-2 wasn't the right formation last night. I wonder what would have happened with another central defender and 3 in the middle. 

As for the full backs, I think both Hunt and Rowe are better at wing back than full back. Hunt is a decent Championship right back. I'd rather he was cover but I'm not confident we'd sign two better right in the summer if we did not renew his contract. Rowe has played more and done better than we'd have expected but I'd hope by the summer either Pring would be ready to cover Dasilva or we'd bring in an alternative. 

We knew exactly how Norwich were going to play against us, as they played that way in the home fixture. Yet we didn't seem to know how to counter that approach, either defensively or offensively.

In defence we were defending at times against waves of attacks, as their wide players exploited our lack of width and pace.

And in attack we once again failed to get a shot on target.

They were clearly miles better than us, the benefit of retaining most of a premiership squad topped up with parachute monies, but that doesn't hide the fact that we are struggling. 

I would've gone with;

Bents

Vyner Kalas Mawson

Hunt Bakinson Nagy Massengo Rowe

Palmer

Wells

Without the injured COD we don't get the ball wide enough to warrant two centre forwards especially against a fluid team like Norwich.

We lost as soon as Northern Streaky handed in his team sheet with Diedhiou and Martin up front. We effectively played with nine players.

It will be the same again Saturday as he can't change the stereotypical way he applies his tactical knowledge.

No wonder Wells looks so disinterested. He must be longing for that move back to West London.

2 hours ago, Swede said:

I would've gone with;

Bents

Vyner Kalas Mawson

Hunt Bakinson Nagy Massengo Rowe

Palmer

Wells

Without the injured COD we don't get the ball wide enough to warrant two centre forwards especially against a fluid team like Norwich.

We lost as soon as Northern Streaky handed in his team sheet with Diedhiou and Martin up front. We effectively played with nine players.

It will be the same again Saturday as he can't change the stereotypical way he applies his tactical knowledge.

No wonder Wells looks so disinterested. He must be longing for that move back to West London.

Agree pretty much with this team, been saying for a while we need to play 1 upfront to get more control in midfield, maybe would have gone with Semenyo for Palmer and Dave for Wells, but swapped to Palmer & Wells 2nd half, only because I think Semenyo has improved his defending a lot and Dave is playing well and also helps at the back from corners.

19 hours ago, Top Robin said:

They are a weak link and contribute f all.

And if any one says that Rowe is a hard working and adaptable pro, I'll scream.

I think you’re not seeing the protection in front of them were . Kasey (I’m playing 5 aside Palmer ) and out of his depth adelukan 

19 hours ago, Top Robin said:

They are a weak link and contribute f all.

And if any one says that Rowe is a hard working and adaptable pro, I'll scream.

Neither of them have been signed up to new deals, and I think there's a reason for that.

Huge turnaround in players this summer (is it 13 ooc?)

Would expect new players at both these positions next season.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The key for me is that with the players that took to the field we should expect better performances.

There have been too many games like this.  Injuries haven’t helped in some cases, but I don’t think it’s an excuse for last night and other games.

So passive last night I’m still angry about it. Holden imo does deserve Criticism though . I used to blame LJ for going 442 against the likes of Norwich , Brentford . To do it with Palmer & adelukan out wide and who offer no protection to their full backs was naive at best  

19 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think they each had their work cut out for them with Palmer and Adelakun in front of them. I saw Rowe a few times trying to organise Palmer who wasn't responding, leaving Rowe between two jobs - and then he's the one who ends up looking poor while it's really Palmer's lack of discipline which has caused the problem.

While they're not top Championship players I think they're both decent personally and show a bit of fight on occasion (and yes I know what Rowe did today) which we're seriously lacking. I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause of our issues before those two.

On their first goal, it was comical how Palmer had completely switched off, and was dallying in the six yard box. He then looked and saw his man (Aaarons I think) all by himself, with the ball by the corner flag. The look of panic on his face, as he sprinted across; he knew he had cocked up.

By the time he got there, we were into a new phase; and of course Hughill got in front of Kalas.

Playing Adelenkun, and Palmer in a 4 in midfield was at best amateurish; as worst criminal. No protection at all for either Fb throughout the entire game.

Only bettered by putting Wells left mid, and expecting him to tackle Aarons and Cantwell. Cue the second goal, and a number of misses; before DH rectified the mistake by bringing Massengo on at last.

3 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Could of solved the right full back problem by signing Perreira. Even if it was a loan again, knew the club, knew the Championship & I thought he was getting better. COYR 

I'd have loved him to stay, but the agreed price was a bit high (even pre-Covid), and it might have come down to him not wanting to sign. If he played for Chelsea we'd have made more of an effort to get it done.

45 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd have loved him to stay, but the agreed price was a bit high (even pre-Covid), and it might have come down to him not wanting to sign. If he played for Chelsea we'd have made more of an effort to get it done.

Agree the fee seemed high, Ive not followed him closely, but I seem to remember him going out on loan again. If this is the case, would of liked to see him back here. Really thought he had potential. COYR 

Archived