IGNORED

Informative Sky Commentary

TomThumb84

Now, I may have missed these two bits of info in press conferences, communication from the club through the official sources and local media, but;

Did the Sky commentator say he interviewed Mark Ashton before the game and was able to inform the watching national audience that Diedhiou will be allowed to run down his contract AND we are hoping to bring in a loan player before the end of the window?

Surely our media shy CEO would not use Sky as the medium for this info to us?

Was that common knowledge before tonight?

Good way of putting him in the window saying he’s available ... if someone’s in need of a striker ... Fam was always running it down, offers have been there for months, would’ve signed if he was going to..obvious we aren’t going to offer silly contracts in the current climate 

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Didn't catch him saying about Ashton but i did hear the bits about Fam and the loan signing. He also said with regards to FD the situation was "fluid", whatever that means. All sounded a bit speculative from what i heard.

I took from it that Fam either signs or leaves for free, as “his value on the pitch will be worth it”.

Unable to attract a better striker if sold in other words.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

I took from it that Fam either signs or leaves for free, as “his value on the pitch will be worth it”.

Yeh it looks like he's off in the summer and i don't see us splashing out on a replacement this window.

12 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Now, I may have missed these two bits of info in press conferences, communication from the club through the official sources and local media, but;

Did the Sky commentator say he interviewed Mark Ashton before the game and was able to inform the watching national audience that Diedhiou will be allowed to run down his contract AND we are hoping to bring in a loan player before the end of the window?

Surely our media shy CEO would not use Sky as the medium for this info to us?

Was that common knowledge before tonight?

It was mentioned that several offers had been made to Fam and not accepted, yet dean says Fam wants to stay 

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Yeh it looks like he's off in the summer and i don't see us splashing out on a replacement this window.

Ok, so in reality we head into the business end of the season with a strikeforce of:

Martin - declining in form

Wells - devoid of confidence and has not played as a centre forward for 3 months

Semenyo - 0 goals

Diedhiou - does not want to stay, leaving, head elsewhere

3 minutes ago, GILLI said:

Good way of putting him in the window saying he’s available ... if someone’s in need of a striker ... Fam was always running it down, offers have been there for months, would’ve signed if he was going to..obvious we aren’t going to offer silly contracts in the current climate 

Yes could be quite a subtle way of getting someone to increase a bid in January. ‘We don’t have to sell now because we’re prepared to let him go at end of the season for nothing. So if you want him in Jan you better bid high as it won’t be a fire sale.’ 

4 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I thought that it’ suggests that it’s quite clear he won’t be signing a new contract before the end of the season

Be very surprised if he’s here come August

Also said we were bringing in a loan player which heard nowhere else. If anyone has wondered where Mark Ashton is, he's been gas bagging with the Sky commentators at Carrow Road.

In respect to Fam, I do get it - deliberate leak, and blatantly so. 

For player and agent message is current offer is final and negotiations over, for interested clubs in January message is up your bids or we'll see his contract out. It's to generate a reaction.

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Ok, so in reality we head into the business end of the season with a strikeforce of:

Martin - declining in form

Wells - devoid of confidence and has not played as a centre forward for 3 months

Semenyo - 0 goals

Diedhiou - does not want to stay, leaving, head elsewhere

+ 1 loan i guess?

Just now, Slack Bladder said:

I was rather hoping we would be a bit more active this transfer window

Tbh, that was always naive with the finances as the accounts show and Covid. 

As for Fam, that was definitely say one thing and mean another. Clear message that he’ll be sold if an acceptable bid comes in - and he should be as we aren’t going down and he’s clearly not signing.

Just now, daored said:

It was mentioned that several offers had been made to Fam and not accepted, yet dean says Fam wants to stay 

Yes but more than that was offered than I knew, I presumed naively it appears, that if he did not sign there would be some sort of deadline so we could get some value for him and reinvest it.

I learnt tonight that we are prepared to allow him to run it down.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

Yes but more than that was offered than I knew, I presumed naively it appears, that if he did not sign there would be some sort of deadline so we could get some value for him and reinvest it.

I learnt tonight that we are prepared to allow him to run it down.

Insane isn’t it ? As a club can we afford that to happen ?

Just now, Corsham Ed said:

If Fam has no interest in signing a new contract, why are we playing him?

I’m far from Fams biggest cheerleader but tbf , behind Bentley he was our best player and kept trying , and individually did pretty well , whilst most of his teammates hardly broke sweat or got out the dressing room

Just now, Corsham Ed said:

If Fam has no interest in signing a new contract, why are we playing him?

No evidence that he’s not trying his best. He’s not one to down tools. I thought he was one of our better performers tonight. I’d just like to see Wells given a chance in the middle alongside him - no point playing Wells left wing. 

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I was rather hoping we would be a bit more active this transfer window

Accounts show that was never going to happen, clubs who are making moves this window either have parachute payments or are willing to take a bigger risk

1 minute ago, eardun said:

No evidence that he’s not trying his best. He’s not one to down tools. I thought he was one of our better performers tonight. I’d just like to see Wells given a chance in the middle alongside him - no point playing Wells left wing. 

I would also like to have seen Fam given a longer run with Wells v Derby last season they looked very good. Barely played together since.

I thought Martin was signed as a wily option as an occasional replacement for Fam although it turns out Martin appears to have become undroppable and Dean clearly holds him in the highest regards. Which means Wells does not play and when he does its out of position, add to this Semenyo, and its all a bit jumbled and a mess frankly.

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

One of the worst interviews I’ve heard on Radio Bristol.

Always give Holden the easiest of times. So frustrating, a lot of this club is really depressing atm 

Do you think the job of an interviewer is to give the interviewee a hard time then?  You ain’t going to get much information that way...

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Holden saying there is no truth in us bringing in loan signing

Unless Sky have misquoted Ashton you couldn’t make it up

Expects a very quiet window

So, the takeaway from this all is that our CEO, who is responsible for recruitment and contracts, has divulged a raft of key information to a national broadcaster, and our Head Coach either has no idea about either, or does not want to discuss it for whatever reason. All a bit shoddy.

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you think the job of an interviewer is to give the interviewee a hard time then?  You ain’t going to get much information that way...

You can question him. Why shouldn’t he come under some criticism of the performance. fans just want to hear a honest answer and clarification on all of the confusion which occurs

Just now, phantom said:

Out of interest where did he say this?

I turned over at the full time whistle 

On radio Bristol just then 

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Radio Bristol - They asked him if there was any truth in Ashton’s claim re loan player incoming

Holden was quite clear

As I said , unless Sky misquoted Ashton we are looking a laughing stock

Unless loan player lined up if Fam manages to get sold after the pitch from Ashton to the Sky commentator to increase awareness of Fam’s availability.

No doubt at the time Mark Ashton was in full flow and all of the words were rolling into one from him in a display of engineering a piece of recruitment magic.

Maybe the commentator was blinded by this wordplay wizardry and delivered both pieces of information off script and in error.

Archived