IGNORED

What have we learnt against a ‘good’ not great championship team?

Better Red

We have just played a good not great championship team.  So if they are the bar what have we (Deano and the army of coaches) learnt.

The harsh reality is we are not good enough for top 6. When your goalkeeper is player of the season you  know where you are.

1. Goal keeper and 2 centre half’s are top 6 players.

2. Full backs not good enough needs a major rethink. Not athletic enough for the game today. No pace. No point playing 352 with wingbacks if they can’t get forward. Hunt to be fair is much better than Rowe but for me not good enough for top 6.

3. Stop playing players out of position - Wells can only play through the middle. He ain’t a left winger. Vyner ain’t a midfielder and Rowe ain’t a LB, Palmer can’t play wide on the left, Seymenyo ain’t a Striker etc, etc..

4. We need a more physical player in midfield if Williams is not the answer we are in trouble.

5. Without Fammy we can’t score goals. Massive problem for the club to sort. Without him we could be in a relegation fight. When he leaves we will have to spend and not sure we have the money - big problem 

6. Pato looks better every game he does not play. Has to play when fit. Same could be said for Wieman.

7. Seymenyo and COD have to add goals to there game. We need players who play forward who get 6 plus goals a season. If they can’t they there not good enough. As for Adelakun not even good enough to be on the bench.

8. The kids we have are not as good as the hype. None of them are stamping a place on the team sheet. Academy not as good as some would have us believe. 

9. We have very few saleable players and that will cause us problems next year. Bentley aside I don’t see anyone really standing out as the next 2 or 3m let alone the 10m we will need. It’s a sign of poor recruitment.

10. Recruitment team is poor. I can’t name a player we signed recently who has greatly improved us. Why they can’t find decent players in L1 and 2 for circa a million. I like Kalas but 8m..

And finally... 

Deano was a cheap option to get us through Covid and this season. Let’s get to 45 points and look for a manager fit for a club who wants to get into the top 6. The question is with Covid and no income from players sales (Bentley exception) unless Mr Lansdown put his money in his pocket we are likely to looking down the table not up.

Its a big Summer for us as a club. We have been progressing for the last 5 years. Next year could be a year we go backwards for the first time in a long time.

History says when we start on a decline that relegation is never far away.  

2 minutes ago, Better Red said:

We have just played a good not great championship team.  So if they are the bar what have we (Deano and the army of coaches) learnt.

The harsh reality is we are not good enough for top 6. When your goalkeeper is player of the season you  know where you are.

2. Full backs not good enough needs a major rethink. Not athletic enough for the game today. No pace. No point playing 352 with wingbacks if they can’t get forward. Hunt to be fair is much better than Rowe but for me not good enough for top 6.

3. Stop playing players out of position - Wells can only play through the middle. He ain’t a left winger. Vyner ain’t a midfielder and Rowe ain’t a LB, Palmer can’t play wide on the left, Seymenyo ain’t a Striker etc, etc..

4. We need a more physical player in midfield if Williams is not the answer we are in trouble.

5. Without Fammy we can’t score goals. Massive problem for the club to sort. Without him we could be in a relegation fight. When he leaves we will have to spend and not sure we have the money - big problem 

6. Pato looks better every game he does not play. Has to play when fit. Same could be said for Wieman.

7. Seymenyo and COD have to add goals to there game. We need players who play forward who get 6 plus goals a season. If they can’t they there not good enough. As for Adelakun not even good enough to be on the bench.

8. The kids we have are not as good as the hype. None of them are stamping a place on the team sheet. Academy not as good as some would have us believe. 

9. We have very few saleable players and that will cause us problems next year. Bentley aside I don’t see anyone really standing out as the next 2 or 3m let alone the 10m we will need. It’s a sign of poor recruitment.

10. Recruitment team is poor. I can’t name a player we signed recently who has greatly improved us. Why they can’t find decent players in L1 and 2 for circa a million. I like Kalas but 8m..

And finally... 

Deano was a cheap option to get us through Covid and this season. Let’s get to 45 points and look for a manager fit for a club who wants to get into the top 6. The question is with Covid and no income from players sales (Bentley exception) unless Mr Lansdown put his money in his pocket we are likely to looking down the table not up.

Its a big Summer for us as a club. We have been progressing for the last 5 years. Next year could be a year we go backwards for the first time in a long time.

Good effort but flawed.

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

The kids we have are not as good as the hype. None of them are stamping a place on the team sheet. Academy not as good as some would have us believe

They’re going to need time for most it’s their first full season of championship football (Zak aside who looks fine as a CB)

Tyreeq - yes he makes mistakes but has had very good games as well, get him game time to learn how long he has on the ball 

Antoine - if he can double his assist tally for the season while playing wide he’d have had a fine season (with 10-12) as long as a goal here and there started to come to build for following season

We know Max is a fine #2 but we’ve not seen enough of the rest to make a judgment, Opi has an assist on his first start(?), Sam Bell we’ve seen minutes of but some promising signs. Towler, Pearson, Smith, Owura haven’t been on the pitch yet and Morton also had a couple Of minutes. They’re going to need time to adapt to the level. Frankly I’d like to see Harper given a call up to play left back in the cup to actually play a proper left back there, playing alongside Mawson to talk to him could also be great for him. 

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

And finally... 

A ‘tough love’ assessment but sometimes the truth hurts. Agree with a lot of this. (Only really disagree on Semenyo. He’s a hugely promising young player who will improve. Need to encourage and nurture him, not jettison.)

And finally... 

If we didnt have 1 and 5 we would be fighting the bottom 3 right now as it is we could be paying them a visit if we dont wake up.

And finally... 

Well I’m ******......we get done and Belter Red appears with a long diatribe. Don’t tell me, it’s because you care blah blah blah rather than just being a whinging old sod.............

You can’t just put your hand in your pocket anymore. There is FFP to consider. Did that just pass you by?

Archived