IGNORED

He be naked

BigAl&Toby

Now I doubt anyone, including Steve himself, would say he's not made mistakes. You can't doubt his commitment, well some can but that's ludicrous . 

I just need to see both sides of the arguments..

He spent millions on planning etc for Ashton Vale to hide the fact he really wanted to redevelop the Gate all the time

It's his fault our debts are so high, but does things on the cheap.

Wasted money on players and staff, but again we do things on the cheap.

Accountable ? He is, if he makes mistakes ultimately he the one that pays, literally, in the literal sense of the word.

I do think the infrastructure needs a tweak . The owner maybe needs to delegate a little more. Get the CEO to concentrate on the money part of deals, get a DoF as a link between the suits and the team (and so stop any accusations of Ashton picking the players). Most of all, employ a head coach with relevant experience, they can still be young and hungry, they can still buy into the Club's ideas but they would have had time to learn from their mistakes before coming here. No guarantees I know, but experience is a big thing towards not making the same mistakes our currant and previous Coaches have been accused of.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

League position-wise....yes.

Financially prepared to cement and improve upon that....no, gone backwards, and have been for two years.  Results have caught up.

All imho ?

I don’t think LJ was the perfect choice.  Inexperienced, track record up for debate, etc.  Put him with a DoF, might’ve been a good compromise whilst he learned the ropes.

I think he was the perfect choice for working within the remit, creating some stability, and making us a more attractive proposition. He's established us a a Championship side that decent coaches and managers would consider.

Our Achilles heel so to speak, are the coaches who could take us forward don't fit with our remit. 

It's obvious to me, that they get interviewed, set out their ideas, and that they are told, 'no...these are the guidelines you work within, or you don't work for us'.

That's what's holding us back imo.

Let's face it...blooding youngsters that have league 1 loans under them, and a few old heads...plus selling your best players nearly every season, isn't the recipe for promotion.

It's the recipe for what we have right now.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Personally I'd rather be losing more games at this level or above than watching us win regularly in L1 but I think some on here were happier with the latter.

Undoubtedly true.

Getting promoted from L1 is great fun (especially the last one under Cotts) and the first season or 2 in the Championship it's interesting watching the better known players and bigger clubs.

When that wears off though it seems inevitable we become a struggling Championship club, either in terms of league position or in being only able to provide a paucity of good football with the aim of improving our final position by 1 or 2 places in order to call the season a success, or both, and the whole thing becomes stagnant and boring.

It's certainly a conundrum for the club - if we can't be successful enough in the Championship to keep the club on an upward trajectory and play the sort of football that will keep the fans entertained and interested, then what's the point of spending millions and upping the wage bill so massively when we go up for a few seasons of mid table struggle before the inevitable downward spiral begins again?

We hit a wall in the Championship every time, usually after a few seasons of increasing gloom where many fans are frustrated and losing interest.

When we get promoted from Div.1, it's just a matter of when we go down again - unless we're on the crest of a wave like under Cotts and the club backs him to go all out for successive promotions. 

The club didn't back him though so despite the heady pep talks from SL I'm under no illusions personally. I don't see us ever going up to the top league again in my lifetime, so yes, at least a modicum of entertaining football and goal attempts is key to me maintaining an interest in the club.

If City can only provide that in L1 so be it.

3 hours ago, red panda said:

Assuming we are neither promoted nor relegated (which looks a pretty safe assumption), next season will be our 7th consecutive season in the 2nd tier.  That hasn't happened since Alan Dicks was manager.

A mere FOUR years ago we finished 17th in the Championship, having finished 18th the previous season.  It's not that long ago that we spent 8 consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier (ending in 2007).  Now we are a well-established top half Championship side.  TV commentators keep describing us as a Premier League club in waiting.

Our infrastructure has been transformed in recent years.

Apart from one fluky year under Gary Johnson, we are in a better place than at any time in the last 40 years.

What the ******* hell do you people want????

In waiting, it's been one hell of a long wait though hasn't it. (I was 24 when we got relegated from the top flight) I am now nearly old enough to receive my state pension. 

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

We are a rudderless ship under Lansdown. We are going absolutely nowhere.

Yes people say look at so and so, it could be so much worse.........Well it could also be so much better. I dont see any sort of plan. People will say, ah but he is writing off our debt, no! It his mistakes that have got us these losses. So why shouldn't he? Is he not accountable? 

I'm no Lansdown apologist and like most others am appalled at some of the awful football that has been served up over the past 24 months. However to say we are going nowhere is wrong on so many levels.

For 50 years I have watched mainly Second division / third division (Championship / League one) football and cried out for the times when we could just stabalise ourselves as a top half Championship team. This we have done over the past 3/4 years. We are no longer a yo yo club. Surely this is stage one of progress and not a passenger on a rudderless ship.

Stage two will be an occasional soire into the play offs and hopefully with a bit of luck (which is needed in all knock out games) we will one day win the golden ticket and actually get promoted out of this league.

Until then just enjoy where we are and hopefully in less covid times we will have a bit more money to spend on better recruitment including the analysts and scouts ( They could have paid me half of any analysts salary and I could of come up with Nakki Wells, Chris Brunt etc)

9 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

We are a rudderless ship under Lansdown. We are going absolutely nowhere.

Yes people say look at so and so, it could be so much worse.........Well it could also be so much better. I dont see any sort of plan. People will say, ah but he is writing off our debt, no! It his mistakes that have got us these losses. So why shouldn't he? Is he not accountable? 

I disagree.  We are going somewhere, viz round and round in circles under current failed ownership.

10 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Look, you can either sit at your keyboard and complain or, using your expert common sense business acumen that you lay out above, starting in your bedroom, build up your own multi-billion pound company in Bristol (where spreadsheets will be banned), sell part of it and with the proceeds buy Bristol City from Steve and then run the club using said business/football acumen that Lansdown is obviously missing. 

There is literally nothing stopping you. If silly, naiive, spreadsheet-obsessed, Steve Lansdown managed it, its fair to say any one of us can. And the bonus for you as a common sense business guru, with these property prices that you highlight (kerching) you will be able to turn a nice profit as well as getting City into the Champions League. Cause what has Steve made? Nearly minus 100 million quid? Something like that... nice little earner those property prices. You're onto him - exactly what he wanted...

When Steve took over in 2002, we were flying high in league one with a grotty stadium, terrible academy and school park training ground. Our record player sale was Ade Akinbiyi for around 4m quid. And our record signing was Ade Akinbiyi for a bit more than a million quid. Where has the progress been since then? I, like you, yearn for those days. I've hated seeing our steady progress up the league table and the gradual improved professionalisation of all aspects of our club. 

Please start your business soon and save us from this horrible nightmare.

Ouch.

Whilst there are a few things I do do do do in my bedroom I can assure looking at spreadsheets or planning my wealth aren’t amongst them ?

I have difficulty running a one man band gardening business let alone a multi million pound, multi tiered sporting and investment business.

Doesn’t mean I can’t see when the ****** is naked though, does it? 

Keyboard warrior you say. Only comes out of the woodwork after poor results say others. Bollocks I say. I’ve said for ages that Mr L is most interested in feathering his nest and not that of the robin.

But I guess time will tell. And I hope - I really do hope - that I’m wrong and you’re right.  Nothing would please me more.

Thing is I fear that if Steve, Jon or Mark are able to pull this off it’ll be more by luck than judgment.

And in the meantime? The Lansdown empire will continue to grow. By the day. The Trojan Horse entered Ashton Vale and started nuzzling upto the nice green grass a long time ago......

Look, you can either sit at your keyboard and complain or, using your expert common sense business acumen that you lay out above, starting in your bedroom, build up your own multi-billion pound company in Bristol (where spreadsheets will be banned), sell part of it and with the proceeds buy Bristol City from Steve and then run the club using said business/football acumen that Lansdown is obviously missing. 

There is literally nothing stopping you. If silly, naiive, spreadsheet-obsessed, Steve Lansdown managed it, its fair to say any one of us can. And the bonus for you as a common sense business guru, with these property prices that you highlight (kerching) you will be able to turn a nice profit as well as getting City into the Champions League. Cause what has Steve made? Nearly minus 100 million quid? Something like that... nice little earner those property prices. You're onto him - exactly what he wanted...

When Steve took over in 2002, we were flying high in league one with a grotty stadium, terrible academy and school park training ground. Our record player sale was Ade Akinbiyi for around 4m quid. And our record signing was Ade Akinbiyi for a bit more than a million quid. Where has the progress been since then? I, like you, yearn for those days. I've hated seeing our steady progress up the league table and the gradual improved professionalisation of all aspects of our club. 

Ouch.

Whilst there are a few things I do do do do in my bedroom I can assure looking at spreadsheets or planning my wealth aren’t amongst them ?

I have difficulty running a one man band gardening business let alone a multi million pound, multi tiered sporting and investment business.

Keyboard warrior you say. Only comes out of the woodwork after poor results say others. Bollocks I say. I’ve said for ages that Mr L is most interested in feathering his nest and not that of the robin.

But I guess time will tell. And I hope - I really do hope - that I’m wrong and you’re right.  Nothing would please me more.

Thing is I fear that if Steve, Jon or Mark are able to pull this off it’ll be more by luck than judgment.

And in the meantime? The Lansdown empire will continue to grow. By the day. The Trojan Horse entered Ashton Vale and started nuzzling upto the nice green grass a long time ago......

Ouch.

Ouch.

Just now, BigAl&Toby said:

Ouch.

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Originals

We are lucky to have him overall. You only have to look at where many other clubs are right now due to changing owners and it going wrong.

He’s made mistakes but who doesn’t. Considering, since I’ve been a supporter in early 90s, we’ve been consistently higher in last few years than previously when we were stuck in league one for so many years, it’s not all bad. Can it be better? Of course and after the current situation is over I would expect to continue to see improvement towards getting into the PL. I don’t think Holden is the man for that but I do think he is fine for what is needed right now.

12 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

But I liked that grotty stadium as I remember it had an atmosphere.

9 hours ago, Street red said:

But I liked that grotty stadium as I remember it had an atmosphere.

me to mate, big part of my life for 50yrs, not been back since The Eastend and Williams got chopped:(

13 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Ouch.

So, Mr L feathering his nest?

If there is success, it's down to luck rather than judgement?

I doubt anything would please you at all.

I really wonder why, unless you are a life long supporter, would you own a Championship football club.

You can only expect to write a big cheque each season, get hammered by the fans for not spending enough, be pulled apart by terrace experts who of course could do it better but funnily have not managed to make enough money to be an owner. 

SL does not fall into the life long supporter category having first tried to buy the Gas.

I think he is in a difficult position because if he tried to sell the club he would be lucky to get 50% of his investment back. As such I can understand why he is investing in real estate. At least this will appreciate in value and bring regular income.

Southampton were at one time quite a similar club to City. They gained in profile over the last 30 years initially by having a great man manager who hired great players at the end of their career and got a lot out of them. They raised the profile and the results were pretty good. then the production line of talent started. Each time they sold for top dollar and had another kid ready to step in.

I think SL will not sell and swallow a huge loss. He can either stick with his existing low standard management team and hope that the fans will pay for mid table anti football or he can wipe the slate clean and start again. He is not a football man and really needs an old head as some sort of advisor. Perhaps somebody like Mark Hughes as a director of football. I live in hope

I'm sort of on the mid ground with this post.

I've said elsewhere that conspiracies rarely happen, cock-ups often do.

If Lansdown had wanted to develop somewhere for housing, he'd not have gone through an elaborate charade of the stadium plans at AV and fighting the ridiculous legislation that stopped the stadium going ahead. He'd have built elsewhere. But he isn't a property developer.

The housing plans are clearly just a means to salvage something from a project that his legal team should've warned him was likely to be scuppered by TVG legislation.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, he isn't really following the Barcelona template. He is following a multi-sport organisational model though, which is the norm in many European and Latin American countries.

Theoretically, this should be financially sensible, as the various teams share many common administrative functions and certain facilities. 

In practice, it doesn't seem to have reduced costs at all and here's where I agree with @BigAl&Toby - the decision making has been so bad, we aren't making "the model" work.

Big salaries are being paid for staff who are not really worth them. Paying a small shot a big shot's money won't make the small shot successful.

Steve and Jon Lansdown's hearts are in the right place, but many of their decisions have been dire. Appointing Holden and failing to invest on a position of strength is yet another poor call IMO - in a long list of poor calls.

In a way, it's pointless complaining about either Lansdown. They are just there. Like the tides. Moaning wont remove them and it's 100% true that we, as a club, could do a lot worse.

What I wish they'd do however is take a more hands off approach, pay a decent whack to someone who really has a track record at this level and trust this appointee to steer the club in the right direction and - with similarly well-qualified colleagues - take the club forward. 

We aren't a sleeping giant. We've never really realised our potential.

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm sort of on the mid ground with this post.

I've said elsewhere that conspiracies rarely happen, cock-ups often do.

If Lansdown had wanted to develop somewhere for housing, he'd not have gone through an elaborate charade of the stadium plans at AV and fighting the ridiculous legislation that stopped the stadium going ahead. He'd have built elsewhere. But he isn't a property developer.

The housing plans are clearly just a means to salvage something from a project that his legal team should've warned him was likely to be scuppered by TVG legislation.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, he isn't really following the Barcelona template. He is following a multi-sport organisational model though, which is the norm in many European and Latin American countries.

Theoretically, this should be financially sensible, as the various teams share many common administrative functions and certain facilities. 

In practice, it doesn't seem to have reduced costs at all and here's where I agree with @BigAl&Toby - the decision making has been so bad, we aren't making "the model" work.

Big salaries are being paid for staff who are not really worth them. Paying a small shot a big shot's money won't make the small shot successful.

Steve and Jon Lansdown's hearts are in the right place, but many of their decisions have been dire. Appointing Holden and failing to invest on a position of strength is yet another poor call IMO - in a long list of poor calls.

In a way, it's pointless complaining about either Lansdown. They are just there. Like the tides. Moaning wont remove them and it's 100% true that we, as a club, could do a lot worse.

What I wish they'd do however is take a more hands off approach, pay a decent whack to someone who really has a track record at this level and trust this appointee to steer the club in the right direction and - with similarly well-qualified colleagues - take the club forward. 

We aren't a sleeping giant. We've never really realised our potential.

At last, less of a personal attack and a more measured approach and tends to hit the nail on the head.

Being a City supporter is frustrating, I get it.

SL is a finance man who probably isn't quite able to let his money go without personal oversight and I'd say, if I was in his position, I'd probably be the same.
There is too much money burning taking place in football (we are not talking wheelbarrows, we are talking dumper truck amounts).

Having said that, he needs some capable set of hands to do it on his behalf and I'm guessing this is where MA comes in (like him or loath him)?
MA seems to run hot and cold though, sometimes he's the bees knees (he gets little credit when this happens), other times people scratch their heads wondering wtf (and when this happens, don't we all know it on this site).

What I'm not clear about is where JL sits and what he does? If anyone can give a sensible answer, fire away.

The DH solution is still beyond my comprehension but maybe the £10 million loss announcement recently should give some major insight on this. These losses didn't just materialise out of the blue this month, they'd have know about it about the time of choosing our new manager.

Ultimately, City are doing what they seem to do season in, season out:
Start well (pom poms come out with the cheering crowd), Christmas arrives and someone delivers a turd of a performance present ('see the owners/the manager/etc. is shit' crowd's turn up). We then wait with bated breath on who has bragging rights of 'see, we were right'.
It's all rather predictable on this site and I'm waiting to see if a petition with some bedsheet waving will take centre place or the damp squib of falling at the finish line for top six happens.

Being a City supporter seems to involve having inexhaustible patience.

The one argument on here that makes no sense is that SL is “feathering his nest” by owning Bristol City/Bristol Sport.

We can sensibly debate how successful a club owner he is. But to suggest that a man who is worth £1-2 billion is likely to make more by selling HL shares and spending the proceeds on subsidising a football team is a bit questionable.

Yes it can be seen as a vanity project. More charitably it be seen as giving something back to the community. If he’s lucky he may get his money back by creating a sporting group with good facilities that he can sell. But to suggest the whole thing is a sure financial investment is laughable. Even more laughable is to suggest that part of this master plan is to avoid promotion and the added value it offers.

Is the club a rich man’s toy? Yes. But it has never been “our” club. Back in the glory days it was Harry Dolman’s toy. Things haven’t really changed except that everything has got more expensive.

45 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The one argument on here that makes no sense is that SL is “feathering his nest” by owning Bristol City/Bristol Sport.

We can sensibly debate how successful a club owner he is. But to suggest that a man who is worth £1-2 billion is likely to make more by selling HL shares and spending the proceeds on subsidising a football team is a bit questionable.

Yes it can be seen as a vanity project. More charitably it be seen as giving something back to the community. If he’s lucky he may get his money back by creating a sporting group with good facilities that he can sell. But to suggest the whole thing is a sure financial investment is laughable. Even more laughable is to suggest that part of this master plan is to avoid promotion and the added value it offers.

Is the club a rich man’s toy? Yes. But it has never been “our” club. Back in the glory days it was Harry Dolman’s toy. Things haven’t really changed except that everything has got more expensive.

How much is his £175m charitable donation worth Lev?  It’s not £0 is it?  He’s not given away the money, he’s got something in return....assets, an income from interest on loans, a nice bit of “development” land.

He’s a businessman.  I’m sure there’s a bit of “I’m doing good” in there too, but he won’t be walking away, or Jon won’t (at some point) having flushed £175m down the toilet in a failed football business.  It’s a cost  to gain a big opportunity.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How much is his £175m charitable donation worth Lev?  It’s not £0 is it?  He’s not given away the money, he’s got something in return....assets, an income from interest on loans, a nice bit of “development” land.

He’s a businessman.  I’m sure there’s a bit of “I’m doing good” in there too, but he won’t be walking away, or Jon won’t (at some point) having flushed £175m down the toilet in a failed football business.  It’s a cost  to gain a big opportunity.

And he wants a personal legacy,(which I guess with his wealth isn’t a bad aim, and he has the wealth and vehicle to do so / have done so)

14 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

And he wants a personal legacy,(which I guess with his wealth isn’t a bad aim, and he has the wealth and vehicle to do so / have done so)

That's often the way when you get to billionaire level; it's no longer about spending the money because that's impossible so instead you look to where you can have a positive impact upon the world.

The Lansdowns' is to make Bristol a centre of sporting excellence which is a decent aim.

If I won £2m on the lottery then it's "Wahey!" but if I won £200m then I'm edging into billionaire territory with more money than I can possibly spend and a feeling that I ought to do some good with it.

Neither will anyway happen.

On 21/01/2021 at 19:28, BigAl&Toby said:

Ouch.

OK, so who is the perfect club you want us to emulate and why hasn’t every other team followed the same magic formula? Surely it’s as easy as that?

Unfortunately this whole saga is symptomatic of the modern world where everyone want everything and they want it right now.
I’ve watched City since 1960’s so I too would like success soon as I may be running out of time soon ?

When I were a lad...... we saved for things, bought cheaper until we could afford to buy what we really wanted, now it’s everything has to be brand new the minute you’re married, holidays on the Moon not WSM, no waiting or patience at all means what you have isn’t appreciated at all. 

If you SL haters despise the club so much you’d be better off joining the plastic fans elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well of course it is.  He is a shrewd businessman and therefore he isn’t going to simply burn money, but given that, it strikes me as though he is looking to achieve two aims, to make good investments that will enable his money to grow in the future, and also to further the interests of sport in Bristol and Bristol City FC in particular.  Anyone who has ever met and talked to Steve Lansdown will know that he loves the game and he loves Bristol City.  The notion that he is only in it for the money is ridiculous and insulting.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well of course it is.  He is a shrewd businessman and therefore he isn’t going to simply burn money, but given that, it strikes me as though he is looking to achieve two aims, to make good investments that will enable his money to grow in the future, and also to further the interests of sport in Bristol and Bristol City FC in particular.  Anyone who has ever met and talked to Steve Lansdown will know that he loves the game and he loves Bristol City.  The notion that he is only in it for the money is ridiculous and insulting.

Not saying he’s only in it for the money, but equally insulting and ridiculous to say it’s a £175m charitable donation too....because it most definitely isn’t!

18 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

OK, so who is the perfect club you want us to emulate and why hasn’t every other team followed the same magic formula? Surely it’s as easy as that?

Unfortunately this whole saga is symptomatic of the modern world where everyone want everything and they want it right now.
I’ve watched City since 1960’s so I too would like success soon as I may be running out of time soon ?

When I were a lad...... we saved for things, bought cheaper until we could afford to buy what we really wanted, now it’s everything has to be brand new the minute you’re married, holidays on the Moon not WSM, no waiting or patience at all means what you have isn’t appreciated at all. 

If you SL haters despise the club so much you’d be better off joining the plastic fans elsewhere. 

I dont hate SL never met him or despise my club, I disagree with many of SL`s choices and I dont like what my club has become, part of somthing else. This dose not mean however I will not be following its future, I will also continue to voice my opinions on this its forum on the clubs direction.

Miss the heady days of the late 60`s through to promotion to the top Div, when I attended most home and away games, just a bit of pride passion and belief in our club would be good from our players and manager, sadly lacking atm.

Thanks for the offer but I wont be joining "plastic fans elsewhere" in fact I have never attended a game that didnt involve this my club.

13 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I dont hate SL never met him or despise my club, I disagree with many of SL`s choices and I dont like what my club has become, part of somthing else. This dose not mean however I will not be following its future, I will also continue to voice my opinions on this its forum on the clubs direction.

Miss the heady days of the late 60`s through to promotion to the top Div, when I attended most home and away games, just a bit of pride passion and belief in our club would be good from our players and manager, sadly lacking atm.

Thanks for the offer but I wont be joining "plastic fans elsewhere" in fact I have never attended a game that didnt involve this my club.

I was there in the late sixties too and I think you’re suffering from a fit of nostalgia. What exactly is Lansdown doing wrong compared with Harry Dolman? I think the similarities between them as owners are obvious.

Archived