IGNORED

He be naked

BigAl&Toby

On 21/01/2021 at 10:04, spudski said:

As a Club, we couldn't ask for a better owner. How he's developed the Club to what it is now is fantastic...as fans we are very lucky.

He's proven that you can get to be a relatively settled Championship Club, whilst fighting against other Clubs with far more revenue to spend on players, especially now in the climate of FFP.

However...to take it to the next level...let's be honest, we are never going to be promoted via the top 2. We are literally miles off if that.

That leaves the complete lottery of top 6 and fluking it that way.

The problem for me... isn't the players...but the choice of coaches and managers we've had over the years. Some have worked... I think the appointment of LJ was perfect, for the blueprint and to make us established.

However for me...the appointment of Holden and his team was a massive step back. It's another Tinman type appointment. How you expect the poor bloke to improve on what LJ did I have no idea...none of that thinking makes sense. 

We buy decent players...we recruit average coaches. Our youngsters may develop under them...but our more senior players, are they going to feel motivated or learn anything new? 

Imo...we are now led by MA and JL...and MA doesn't want anyone near this club that will rock the boat football wise and undermine his job of making us profit. 

He's got way too much say in this Club imo. 

He's obviously got the power of persuasion and is employing people that will protect him in a round about way. 

Just my opinion...but it's a common theme.

SL did it...now he's employed a person in his same vein. 

We need a football man here...a man with experience that all the players will be inspired by and someone who will tell the likes of MA that they are undermining the progress of the Club by some of their actions and not be scared to do so. 

Agree , but as you say we’ll never appoint a experienced man because he would get Teflon and the lansdowns out of their comfort zone.

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How much is his £175m charitable donation worth Lev?  It’s not £0 is it?  He’s not given away the money, he’s got something in return....assets, an income from interest on loans, a nice bit of “development” land.

He’s a businessman.  I’m sure there’s a bit of “I’m doing good” in there too, but he won’t be walking away, or Jon won’t (at some point) having flushed £175m down the toilet in a failed football business.  It’s a cost  to gain a big opportunity.

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How much is his £175m charitable donation worth Lev?  It’s not £0 is it?  He’s not given away the money, he’s got something in return....assets, an income from interest on loans, a nice bit of “development” land.

He’s a businessman.  I’m sure there’s a bit of “I’m doing good” in there too, but he won’t be walking away, or Jon won’t (at some point) having flushed £175m down the toilet in a failed football business.  It’s a cost  to gain a big opportunity.

You quoted me saying it wasn’t a sure financial investment then talked about a charitable donation. It’s neither. It’s an investment that may or may not work out and he’s taking a risk because he can afford to.

It’s not cynical nest feathering as implied by others. It’s akin to a man who builds an extension to his own house - it should add value but it improves the asset while he owns it too.

On 21/01/2021 at 08:02, The Constant Rabbit said:

This will all be over within 24 months, covid permitting.

A new future, new ambitions, new possibilities, no Lansdowns.

You mention on the Accounts thread prospect of US owners.

That might not be a good thing. US owners have a pretty mixed record, which I'll get into on the Accounts thread later! SL being replaced by eg US owners could be bad.

On 22/01/2021 at 14:21, Leveller said:

The one argument on here that makes no sense is that SL is “feathering his nest” by owning Bristol City/Bristol Sport.

We can sensibly debate how successful a club owner he is. But to suggest that a man who is worth £1-2 billion is likely to make more by selling HL shares and spending the proceeds on subsidising a football team is a bit questionable.

Yes it can be seen as a vanity project. More charitably it be seen as giving something back to the community. If he’s lucky he may get his money back by creating a sporting group with good facilities that he can sell. But to suggest the whole thing is a sure financial investment is laughable. Even more laughable is to suggest that part of this master plan is to avoid promotion and the added value it offers.

Is the club a rich man’s toy? Yes. But it has never been “our” club. Back in the glory days it was Harry Dolman’s toy. Things haven’t really changed except that everything has got more expensive.

Tell me. When Harry D was about did he have a myriad of offshore companies and was he an ultimate beneficial owner?

Did he own everything? In it’s entirety? Did he secure his investment by owning most of what he could see in BS3? 

Curious to know. ?

@BigAl&Toby

Surely it's a hypothetical gain until such time as the gain is banked? Think of it in a sense like an (unsure if this still applicable under new accounting regs) upward valuation that isn't or wasn't put through profit and loss- a paper gain, but not yet realised.

Your posts as ever are interesting but do throw up questions- that refinancing from Bank and partial Pula to full Pula, would this be paid off in entirety as part of the package when sold, might he/the Lansdown family become external creditors- could he write it off maybe, in part or full- I'm sure he's spent more than he has gained to date- this could change with his portfolio but to date, on 24th January 2021, he's surely spent more than gained.

Big debt writeoff in 2013/14? I knew very little about finance at that time but I remember it being reported vaguely.

I'd have to look deep into the accounts to try and get my head round it but that's quite good I reckon- and that time I think it gave us room to breathe a bit, we were under Cotts at the bottom end of League Two, still pre or the early stages of the redevelopment. We can criticise him but I think that restructuring.

restructuring part of his investment from loans to shares

I think that was quite timely back in 2014. Enhanced his control of the club of course but he didn't have to do that did he? Sure he was already majority shareholder etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25681289

On the flipside, were we to impugn his motives he keeps AG and all of the corporate revenue post sale etc- renting it to us to play football, rents out Failand too- rents out any other club buildings that stay owned by him and him only- with only a modest debt write-off to get the takeover/takeovers of all of the sporting clubs through. A modest debt write-off, with the rest paid back and at the agreed interest rates.

Were we to impugn his motives further, he does all of the above and sells us to anyone- I mean anyone- who can pay his asking price, regardless of how it is financed eg leveraged buyouts).

Still think there's a bit of careful what we wish for (not saying you're one) at play with those who might tire of SL...

On 21/01/2021 at 14:35, Eddie Hitler said:

To a degree yes.

There are however some big positives:

The redevelopment of Ashton Gate 

The training ground 

The lack of external debt 

You only have to look at Derby to see that we could be in a much worse position if we didn't have genuinely wealthy owners with the best interests of the club at heart.

That doesn't invalidate your points but there are big upsides to set against them.

The redevelopment of Ashton Gate. OK yes I agree however atmosphere, the passion to be there, the old east end was far better than what there is now. It is more like an entertainment center with the focal point on rugby and football a second.

Training ground. Yes very good. Lack of external debt yes we are lucky.

Well well well.

Me and the boy did what we now call “doing a Stevie” yesterday. We spunked a tenner on watching another woeful display on RobinsTV.

See? Like The Messiah we just can’t help ourselves from making the same mistakes and wasting our hard earned cash.....

On a pitch that looked like cattle had been grazing on it, the boys living in Wayne’s World were another bunch who demonstrated all of our frailties.

But fear not. We have injuries. More than most. We have Henri. We have a nearly fit Joe. We have Downsy and his new mate Cal. We have The Bees coming up soon who will no doubt sting us on the ass.

And we have hope.

And we have Lansdown for whom so many are grateful. How did The Bears do? Anyone know?

Well well well.

Another woeful display. Ashton out seems to be gaining momentum. Don’t waste your bed sheets. Like the Ls MA is going nowhere.

And Life on Guernsey? All rosy. The Bears are top. 

Christ Alive. 

But it’s ok. After all we’ve got a state of the art training facility. So ******* good we produce such dreadful performances week in week out.

And a superb stadium. In which to watch such dreadful performances week in week out.

Oh yes. Life is good in BS3 too. 

In Lansdown so many trust. The ****** is naked.

11239048-0099-4685-85C2-0A434EA31546.png

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Well well well.

Another woeful display. Ashton out seems to be gaining momentum. Don’t waste your bed sheets. Like the Ls MA is going nowhere.

And Life on Guernsey? All rosy. The Bears are top. 

Christ Alive. 

But it’s ok. After all we’ve got a state of the art training facility. So ******* good we produce such dreadful performances week in week out.

And a superb stadium. In which to watch such dreadful performances week in week out.

Oh yes. Life is good in BS3 too. 

In Lansdown so many trust. The ****** is naked.

11239048-0099-4685-85C2-0A434EA31546.png

There it is.

None so blind as those who will not see.

Lansdowns new toy.

And he may well keep it.

All the way to another stadium after selling BS / AV

Anyone know where another decent sized stadium is? ?

**** me no.......

Here he goes again........

Well? Who’s feeling proud? Not here in BA11.

Wonder how the Ls are feeling over on the tax haven? 

The football project? It’s ******. The model? It’s ******.

Time for a change Steve. This isn’t working. Hasn’t for far too long. Any ****** can see that. Even Mr Wonder......

10 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

**** me no.......

Here he goes again........

Well? Who’s feeling proud? Not here in BA11.

Wonder how the Ls are feeling over on the tax haven? 

The football project? It’s ******. The model? It’s ******.

Time for a change Steve. This isn’t working. Hasn’t for far too long. Any ****** can see that. Even Mr Wonder......

Time to sell up or roll the dice on the football side things. Neither will happen. 
Playing Forest Green and the Gas on level terms is a distinct possible outcome of great project, plans, investment. 

Well well well.

The Messiah has spoken.

I didn’t know he was going to be on the wireless. Even if I did I wouldn’t have bothered.

And I’m not reading 13 pages on what he had to say or the other thread about his most recent protege Deano.

They’re both ******* inept when it comes to having anything to do with football. Add to the squad Ashton and Jon. And that odd cock who fronts up Robins TV.

Hang on. There’s an idea Steve. Start an oddball 5 a side league. That’ll be another income stream. Have it up at Failand...

Steve Lansdown. The man who presided over lurching from one footballing disaster to another.

What’s been achieved on the green stuff in 20 long years? Sadly not a great deal..... ?

Why, oh why, does City have to be run by incompetents?

Who in their right mind does an interview in such circumstances without media training in 21st century?

Well, sadly the answer is clear - money and an inflated view of one’s own competence levels

Yet money doesn’t unfortunately buy self awareness

One positive to emerge from yesterday’s wreck of a media offensive is that more Otib warriors are becoming aware of the inherent danger to City of Bristol Sport- something a number on here have been saying for quite literally years.

PS Does anyone seriously think there would not have been ground improvements over the last decades with a different ownership?  And, never forget the Ashton Vale debacle

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Why, oh why, does City have to be run by incompetents?

Who in their right mind does an interview in such circumstances without media training in 21st century?

Well, sadly the answer is clear - money and an inflated view of one’s own competence levels

Yet money doesn’t unfortunately buy self awareness

One positive to emerge from yesterday’s wreck of a media offensive is that more Otib warriors are becoming aware of the inherent danger to City of Bristol Sport- something a number on here have been saying for quite literally years.

PS Does anyone seriously think there would not have been ground improvements over the last decades with a different ownership?  And, never forget the Ashton Vale debacle

You, me and a few others. Some I think see it and choose to be less vocal and some simply don’t see it.

They who go on about Failand - and that’s an apt place failing and ******* it up. Or those who like some football with their pizza.....

It’ll end in tears. Love will tear us apart.

Well done Steve. Playing a ******* blinder..... ?

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Well, sadly the answer is clear - money and an inflated view of one’s own competence lev

In my professional experience, people who have make it to the top don't believe they need training of any kind but particularly not media training    They assume they are important enough to say what the heck they want.

As has been said on here many times, SL doesn't really need (or care much anymore about)  the weekly football result.    It's a small number on his radar.      Like all rich people, the value of his global investment portfolio will have rocketed in the last 12 months.     The £10 million or so the club has lost because of Covid is peanuts to him.   It's galling to hear him whine about it when you understand how he has loaded himself with  property and commercial assets on the back of BCFC.

He's never going to risk getting a real football brain in to lead the club - he's had 20 years to do that and the only time he ever did it that I can recall was with Coppell and look how long that lasted.

Well well well.

What an absolute ******* shambles. I hope you’re proud Steve. I’m not.

You eventually relieve Lee of his duties. You take an absolute ******* age to appoint a replacement. Lee’s coaching team take charge.........

Then we get this latest shit show. You appoint someone who was part of the old guard and in that respect partly responsible for how things ended up.

Why oh why would anyone with any sense do that? 

You set Holden up to fail, and fail he did. You might well have achieved whatever it was you set out to achieve.

We’re so lucky to have a 21st Century stadium with a nice concourse and big screens. All geared up for “an experience”. Thing is the football is shit.

We’re so lucky to have a 21st Century training ground at Failand. Thing is it’s failing. The football is shit.

We’re lucky that you had “the courage” to come on Radio Bristol on Monday. Thing is what you said was..... well you get my drift.

The thing is Steve I’ve supported BCFC since I was a lad. And my lad supports them too. Yes we wasted another tenner last night. And we will renew. Not because of anything you, Jon or Mark have done, will do or the hollow promises you make.

We’ll renew because this is our club. 

Archived