IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival

RedM

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Years and Years. Superb 

I was too. Caught a bit of his set last time he was here (as a group) and was meh. Today, solo, he put on a great show. Propably a bit much for the BBC though. 

21 hours ago, RedRock said:

Just proves the point to me. You’re Headlining at Glasto on a Saturday night, top spot of the entire festival, should be the crescendo.

We want sing-along festival anthems, how many of those songs had full-on audience participation that brought the house down? Possibly 15-20% or so. Should be more like 40-60% for me in that spot.

Maybe I’m getting old and want to release energy and have a good time when listening to the top slot at a festival. Maybe the era of festival anthem bands have past - certainly seems so from the headliners this year - more’s the pity in my view.

To be honest we thought the same. Even the Beatles songs he played weren’t the best for a festival/Glastonbury audience. Got to say though, it got better towards the end with DG & BS, then Live & Let Die and Band on the Run. Nice tribute to George with Something, the John tribute was ok. Should’ve played Octopus’s Garden and got Ringo in.

Overall I did enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Yesterday, my itinerary was Warmduscher; Cate Le Bon; get a bite to eat [that's not a band name]; Jack White; meet some old friends [also not a band name]; dash to see about half the Pet Shop Boys set and meet up with the girls. Walk to village gate. Home in 15.

Today, I shall be avoiding the roads and hoping my cats aren't run over by departing festival goers who think it's OK to speed through narrow village lanes at 55mph now they've done their 5-day "love and peace" schtick.

Work commitments and plantar fascitis stopped me having the full-on Festival experience this year, but I'd be daft not to take advantage of having it on my doorstep. I can hear the bands anyway, I might as well see a few! :laugh:

When there's no mud, it's always a fun visit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I think if you look at his 2004 set that was, generally, a tribute to The Beatles with 85% of his set list Beatles songs.   His second stint on the pyramid at age of 80 lets face it will be his last and really it was a set highlighting his wonderful career - he made a point of playing the first ever beatles song but went through many eras of his career - it was one for all generations I guess. 

No frog song thou.. 

My main complaint was the fact there was no Temporary Secretary…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I think if you look at his 2004 set that was, generally, a tribute to The Beatles with 85% of his set list Beatles songs.   His second stint on the pyramid at age of 80 lets face it will be his last and really it was a set highlighting his wonderful career - he made a point of playing the first ever beatles song but went through many eras of his career - it was one for all generations I guess. 

No frog song thou.. 

Yes, we were horrified

#ivegotthe7inch ??

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Bins??? ?

Oh no, sorry I didn't see your post. I could have got quite a collection of photos, although at times many of them were overflowing and not a pretty sight. Looked like some sort of Banksy art installation! ?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Super said:

How long does the clean up take? Some pics are shocking.

As horrific and wrong as it seems, it really hacks me off the amount of stuff on the floor, I don't think it will be too bad. The ground is rock hard so the plastic and cans haven't been trampled and embedded into the mud. Each night the Pyramid is left like this and by the next day the litter pickers overnight/early morning have been amazing and you find it clean.

This year there was a lot less rubbish left than say after Coldplay which looked total devastation with the mud. People had got up and left picnic tables and chairs, this year people took them with them as they were clean and dry.

9 hours ago, TomF said:

We rolled out of gate D about midnight, had already packed up earlier in day.  Got to car about 20 minutes later  fearing we’d be stuck for hours. On the other side of the road they diverted us through a one way country road special that came out in Wells.  Cut through Farrington Gurney to Barrow and home in under an hour.  

Massive comedown commencing. Not the greatest line up for sure but given the last few years going back to that special place was magical once again. 

We packed up by about 9.15am today. Queued to get shuttle bus to train station. Got the bus after about 45 mins. Got taken to Bath and West and stayed on the bus for another 45 mins. Half hour wait at the station. Got train at 12.15ish. Lucky I had MrRedM to pick us up from TM and I was back home 2.15pm.

It sounds a lot 5 hours but I was expecting a lot worse. Very impressed with how well our exit was handled, from the bag handlers to the station staff, no overcrowding or hassles.

10 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I'm not saying he would do this, but what's to stop him just walking off and leaving?

When I worked there some were doing that, they lose their deposit which is full ticket price and they get blacklisted from working or purchasing a ticket in the future  I believe. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I'm not saying he would do this, but what's to stop him just walking off and leaving?

I don't honestly know buy it was something to do with where be works I think so I assume they could track him down if he shot off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Just tested positive for covid after avoiding it for 2+ years.  The glasto comedown in full effect ? - reckon 1/2 people there will get it/have it this week 

Oh no. Bloody hell but as you say hardly surprising. Did you just randomly test or were you not feeling well. I don't think I want to know today, maybe tomorrow. 

41 minutes ago, TomF said:

Deposit that you pay to secure the work/free ticket 

35 minutes ago, weepywall said:

When I worked there some were doing that, they lose their deposit which is full ticket price and they get blacklisted from working or purchasing a ticket in the future  I believe. 

Ahh that makes sense.  I was thinking it'd be worth it if you couldn't get a ticket (same cost) but not worth being blacklisted forever!

22 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I don't honestly know buy it was something to do with where be works I think so I assume they could track him down if he shot off.

Yeah, in that case it's really not worth losing your actual job!

A fake illness on the Monday morning though....

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’ve had sniffles and a bit of a sore throat. Nothing I thought more than just glasto flu/dust.. but seeing so many people testing positive I took a test and line came up in about 10 seconds flat.  

Week off work after Glasto not the worst thing?!?

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’ve had sniffles and a bit of a sore throat. Nothing I thought more than just glasto flu/dust.. but seeing so many people testing positive I took a test and line came up in about 10 seconds flat.  

Not surprising, the last rise was jubilee weekend so still a lot of it about now. 
At least you’ve a valid reason not to go to work now. 

I realise im in the minority but thought the whole thing was totally underwhelming, the acts and performances im talking about.

If that's all they can attract to play after a 3 year absence god help us next year

Edited by frenchred

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I realise im in the minority but thought the whole thing was totally underwhelming, the acts and performances im talking about.

If that's all they can attract to play after a 3 year absence god help us next year

Paul McCartney was booked for the 2020 Glastonbury I think. 
A lot of it depends on what the bands are doing, at the time. 
A lot of the big artist are either touring outside UK or about to start touring. I would not be surprised if next year Coldplay or Muse return. As they were there only a few years ago so with the Covid gap would be too soon to appear again. Bruce Springsteen will probably depend on going there or doing BST dates. 
Never understand why Red Hot Chilli Peppers have not gone there. 

35 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Totally agree with you. Apart from Jack White I thought it was all a bit meh.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s totally dependant on where people are touring and unforgivably covid royally screwed that up. The original 2020 line up was absolutely stacked. 

Im sure many of the ones that didn’t make it will be present next year. 

Fair comment