IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival

RedM

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

On a side note for the ones that went, did anybody notice the amount of Scousers there?

That’s all I heard.

Northern monkeys generally were there en masse.

I suppose festivals have to evolve and change, and some things are for the better now, but I liked it back in the early 90s, when I used to just bump into everyone I knew who lived locally. Nowadays, you need to make elaborate arrangements in order to liaise with friends. 

Didnt keep up on this thread leading up to the event or during so may repeat some comments.

I really enjoyed it, just what I needed was a good weekend with some lovely weather and beers with my mates. That said, it wasn't without it's flaws of course.

I loved the retro football shirt trend that seemed to be going on, saw a fair few City shirts wish I'd had my 94 classic with me!

Definitely spotted the scousers more, every dealer seemed to be scouse too oddly.

I know a lots been said about the line-up but for me it was a fairly good balance in terms of acts I really wanted to see, one's I took in that were better than expected and times where we just had nowhere to be and explored the place and took in some random stuff - Elvana was a random one for me, but absolutely brilliant!

I think a lot of the enjoyment of acts comes from who you're surrounded by. A few times we were quite far back and around people that were just chatting and ruins it a bit. This happened for Macca until we got a bit closer and Diana Ross.

Personal highlights for me, Noel and Macca fairly obvious ones. The rest probably wont be to everyone's liking, Yungblud was unreal for me. We somehow ended up near the front and in the middle of the mosh pit. Kendrick was much better than I expected with the dancers and performance.  Really enjoyed McFly, Elvana, Supergrass and Scouting for Girls. Fatboy Slim and Chase & Status were a bit of a letdown but I think the sound quality and being outside the area ruined those experiences. We didnt even bother with Calvin Harris because of that.

It feels like it's far too populated now, they've extended the camping but the facilities don't hold up. It's to the point of being dangerous, especially when Diana Ross was on, and the queues for the toilets are awful. Getting drinks wasn't too bad though, I don't remember ever waiting more than a few minutes, though frustrating that they struggled with card payments several times.

I've only just made it back to London and am still decompressing. Highlight for me (as pretty much every year) was Mik Artistik's Ego Trip and I was really pleased I spent a bit more time in the Theatre and Circus field taking it all in. The robot horse on the pier was brilliant too.

Other great things were Folly Group, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, Self-Esteem, Porridge Radio and Caribou plus it was great to see St Etienne from a nostalgia point of view. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Paul McCartney was booked for the 2020 Glastonbury I think. 
A lot of it depends on what the bands are doing, at the time. 
A lot of the big artist are either touring outside UK or about to start touring. I would not be surprised if next year Coldplay or Muse return. As they were there only a few years ago so with the Covid gap would be too soon to appear again. Bruce Springsteen will probably depend on going there or doing BST dates. 
Never understand why Red Hot Chilli Peppers have not gone there. 

McCartney, Kendrick Lamar and Diana Ross were due back in 2020. The only headline act not scheduled this year was Taylor Swift.

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Looking ahead at 2023, struggling to see who they’ll get to headline or for the legends slot. The ones they really want (Floyd, fleetwood Mac) won’t do it and hopefully they don’t just recycle Coldplay or Muse.

Springsteen has space next year, he could come back again. Other than that …..I have no idea..

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Is it easy to get a ticket? I’ve never been but thinking it might be worth a go 

Absolutely not. On ticket day, our entire group will be online with every device imaginable on them refreshing the ticket page, ideally all on separate connections. It's very difficult, but if your entire group is committed, you have a good chance. Every person can buy a maximum of 6 tickets.

Everyone is back, so my self-imposed social media ban is now off. I hope everyone had an amazing time, can't wait for October to roll around, and hopefully be involved this time! Wet Leg and Fontaines DC looked decent from clips I saw, will have to give them a proper watch soon.

14 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Is he still alive?

Can’t think of Chris Rea without remembering Bob Mortimer’s wonderful story on Would Lie To You? that Chris Rea once ran him a bath and put an egg in it for him.  Sadly it turned out to be untrue, but they are mates and he comes across well in Bob’s autobiography.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Personal highlights for me, Noel and Macca fairly obvious ones. The rest probably wont be to everyone's liking, Yungblud was unreal for me. We somehow ended up near the front and in the middle of the mosh pit. Kendrick was much better than I expected with the dancers and performance.  Really enjoyed McFly, Elvana, Supergrass and Scouting for Girls. Fatboy Slim and Chase & Status were a bit of a letdown but I think the sound quality and being outside the area ruined those experiences. We didnt even bother with Calvin Harris because of that.

It feels like it's far too populated now, they've extended the camping but the facilities don't hold up. It's to the point of being dangerous, especially when Diana Ross was on, and the queues for the toilets are awful. Getting drinks wasn't too bad though, I don't remember ever waiting more than a few minutes, though frustrating that they struggled with card payments several times.

Really glad I didn't go and see Fatboy Slim now. I do agree with you about the over-crowding. I think it really affects the Acoustic Stage too. I've generally found that, if you can't get into John Peel, things still sound decent outside but the Acoustic tent sounds awful unless you are actually inside the tent. With the Pyramid, we fought our way to an okay spot for McCartney but gave up on Diana Ross in the end because we didn't fancy the crowd at all. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Problem with Floyd is that it's only really Gilmour left. Well, Gilmour and the drummer

Think there is more chance Roger Waters than Pink Floyd. He done it in 2002. 

The issue with Floyd or Waters (and I love both) is that, they are not really uplifting to get crowds going. They are more aimed at the sit back relax and enjoy the show. I don’t think they are a festival sort of band.