IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival

RedM

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

More so than Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar

Billie Eilish has had seven top ten singles and two number one albums in the last three years and recorded a Bond theme.

Kendrick Lamar is one of the biggest stars in the world at the moment, soundtracked an absolutely huge film a few years back and has collaborated with pretty much every credible pop act going.

I'd happily admit I'm a bit too long in the tooth to really be up with either act but there is absolutely no question they are absolute global megastars at the moment and way better known to a wide audience than Pink Floyd. As a bit of an aside, back in 2019 I was - for entirely unglamorous reasons - stood behind the main stage at Reading Festival when Billie Eilish came on stage. She was playing a mid-afternoon slot and had suddenly rocketed in popularity in between being booked and playing. 

The sound of the crowd response to her was utterly spine-tingling and like no other sound I've ever heard any other artist get. It was proper Nirvana in 1992 levels of euphoria. Clearly we're talking about music for a different generation to me (although she's crossed over considerably to the mainstream now) but there is absolutely no doubt in mind that she is an utterly massive deal to a lot of people. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Billie Eilish has had seven top ten singles and two number one albums in the last three years and recorded a Bond theme.

Kendrick Lamar is one of the biggest stars in the world at the moment, soundtracked an absolutely huge film a few years back and has collaborated with pretty much every credible pop act going.

I'd happily admit I'm a bit too long in the tooth to really be up with either act but there is absolutely no question they are absolute global megastars at the moment and way better known to a wide audience than Pink Floyd. As a bit of an aside, back in 2019 I was - for entirely unglamorous reasons - stood behind the main stage at Reading Festival when Billie Eilish came on stage. She was playing a mid-afternoon slot and had suddenly rocketed in popularity in between being booked and playing. 

The sound of the crowd response to her was utterly spine-tingling and like no other sound I've ever heard any other artist get. It was proper Nirvana in 1992 levels of euphoria. Clearly we're talking about music for a different generation to me (although she's crossed over considerably to the mainstream now) but there is absolutely no doubt in mind that she is an utterly massive deal to a lot of people. 

Yes, those acts are obviously big at the moment and are also more current than the likes of Pink Floyd. But I would still argue that Floyd's music has a wider appeal - they are, after all, the eight biggest selling music artist of all time (according to Wikipedia).

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yes, those acts are obviously big at the moment and are also more current than the likes of Pink Floyd. But I would still argue that Floyd's music has a wider appeal - they are, after all, the eight biggest selling music artist of all time (according to Wikipedia).

That's not how music works though. Theoretically Bon Jovi, Led Zep, etc all have sold way more records too, but neither of them are as big as Kendrick or Billie Eilish at the moment.

And to be honest, having new acts in as headliners is far more interesting. I don't mind Billie Eilish, Kendrick definitely isn't my thing, but It's way better to have them as headliners than having Coldplay year in year out, or bands that only have wide-reaching appeal in the over 40's or 50's. To be honest that group is probably bottom of the list of people the festival should aim to please.

34 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

That's not how music works though. Theoretically Bon Jovi, Led Zep, etc all have sold way more records too, but neither of them are as big as Kendrick or Billie Eilish at the moment.

And to be honest, having new acts in as headliners is far more interesting. I don't mind Billie Eilish, Kendrick definitely isn't my thing, but It's way better to have them as headliners than having Coldplay year in year out, or bands that only have wide-reaching appeal in the over 40's or 50's. To be honest that group is probably bottom of the list of people the festival should aim to please.

Why so?

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Why so?

Pretty obvious really isn't it. Music trends are usually defined by the younger groups.

This thread and Facebook is living proof that if Glasto catered to the armchair older lot, the headliners would be Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, etc on repeat. Nothing wrong with that by the way, not at all, but it's not exactly what the festival is about. I'd take Kendrick and Billie Eilish all day longer over legends on repeat. Not my bag, but you never discover anything new or interesting by listening to the same old artists.

What will be interesting is future headliners. I'm not sure they're that status yet, but Wolf Alice are absolutely outstanding at the moment, their last album was a masterpiece. Foals can't be far off either. I could definitely see Taylor Swift and/or The 1975 happening next year too, it will certainly be interesting to see who pops up.

Edited by nebristolred

12 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

More so than Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar

You're mistaking what you like, with what young people like.

I'd rather hear Pink Floyd than Billie Eilish. But I recognise that festival headliners have to be more youth oriented.

Glastonbury is actually pretty good at catering to everyone though, Eilish on the Friday for young pop, McCartney on the Saturday for classic rock and Lamar on the Sunday for hip hop. That seems a fair mix to me and there are plenty of other stages if those headliners don't appeal.

13 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I honestly don’t think it does. A lot of those records were sold a long time ago and Floyd, by the nature of their song, aren’t exactly staples of many radio stations. The thing with Billie Eilish is she obviously had a youth demographic but I spoke to a load of people my age and much older who knew who her songs from the radio and wanted to watch her. I don’t know there would be that many younger people rushing to see Floyd.

Ultimately Glastonbury is great at - across its whole programme - having things that appeal to multiple different demographics. But the headline slot is basically designed to appeal (both on TV and at the festival) as a mainstream option to draw the bulk of the crowd to the part of the festival with the most space to hold them and to get some prime home viewing figures. I just think - nowadays - Floyd’s appeal is too narrow to do that. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Glastonbury, all festivals are facing eye-watering hikes in the costs of staging it next year for a variety of reasons. It's easy to say other festivals haven't put their prices up as much but customers are going to see a lot of cuts at those festivals. Even some of the ones this year, stages had disappeared or there were significantly less staff onsite. Few festivals - if any - are going to be able to afford to deliver the same quality at the same price. 

• The title was changed to Glastonbury Festival
2 hours ago, TomF said:

How did we fair today? 

Had an absolute mare, thought it was all over and then bagged tickets about 25 minutes after they sold out.   Buzzing. last minute winner.

Sergio Aguero Celebration GIF by Manchester City

Congrats!

Best I'll be able to do next year is GlastonBarry. ?

Jokes aside, although it's last years lineup, that actually looks pretty decent....except for going to Barry. ? 

We got coach package on Thursday, didn't want the risk of failing today. Today we helped friends and secured really late. Was probably the most frustrating year ever, twice got through and failed just as payment details were being added. 

I blanked out :( 

didn’t get anywhere near entering details .

about 50% of our group got them though so still not giving up hope we can get the rest (including mine) in resale 

good work all who managed to bag them 

apologies in advance if I come crawling back here near resale day looking for assistance ha 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, internetjef said:

about 50% of our group got them though so still not giving up hope we can get the rest (including mine) in resale 

apologies in advance if I come crawling back here near resale day looking for assistance ha 

Best of luck, supposedly resale is always your best chance. And even more so this year, with the likely number of people not wanting to pay such a large final amount.

SeeTickets really need to sort it out - anecdotally, everyone I know who got tickets managed so after it had sold out. And we were through multiple times during the normal booking process, only to be kicked out when pressing the final purchase button. An absolute ****show and it's way more stressful than it needs to be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, internetjef said:

That's rubbish. I got in on the coach resale last year so there's still hope. Looks like you saw some of the same stuff as me this year.

I'm very relieved to have my ticket for 2023. See you all at the Cider Bus.