IGNORED

Harris sacked, replaced by McCarthy at Cardiff

steviestevieneville

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why would you care?

Wonder why they keep appointing managers who produce dire football 

Possibly because their 'dire' football has resulted in 2 promotions to the Premier League (as well as reaching the play offs).

Whilst our dire football doesn't seem to get the same results sadly.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well you proudly announced how you will be following one who produces dire football and has yet to achieve anything in the game , and has major responsibility for our large squad of misfits 

if you had watched over his career McCarthy is pragmatic , give him a reasonable squad and he produces efficient winning sides 

Vastly experienced , including at International level , not a whiff of bull**** or bluff , knows the game inside out

Somewhat if  a completely different level  from the one you have so much interest in 

As for appointing managers who produce dire football .... look a bit closer to home 

Just the two  recent visits to Premier League and a Cup Final apoearance In recent years for them

And they will get back up before we do 

Bizzare post 

Think you’ve misinterpreted my question mate. Was asking why they keep appointing managers who produce boring football, I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t be. 

Guess the owner thinks the defensive first approach is the best. Fair enough. 

44 minutes ago, sludge said:

Possibly because their 'dire' football has resulted in 2 promotions to the Premier League (as well as reaching the play offs).

Whilst our dire football doesn't seem to get the same results sadly.

Yes guess that must be it.  Owner looks for a specific type of manager and McCarthy fits the criteria.  Would be interested to hear from Cardiff fans to see if they would be happy with another manager who plays negative football. Assume it would be split and there will be those who are fancy a bit more of a change 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Yes guess that must be it.  Owner looks for a specific type of manager and McCarthy fits the criteria.  Would be interested to hear from Cardiff fans to see if they would be happy with another manager who plays negative football. Assume it would be split and there will be those who are fancy a bit more of a change 

You may be right there. However from a personal perspective (and I'm fairly sure there are other CIty fans who share my view), I just want to see us get in the Premier League before my time is up! And I don't really care how we do it.

Once you've done it once it's easier to do again.

21 hours ago, Countryfile said:

No I’m not. I’m voicing my opinion.

I said doesn’t really want, NOT  doesn’t want, if you want to reply please don’t edit my comments to suit your agenda.

I'm happy to agree that you're voicing an opinion but let's not play semantics. In the context of your sentence the word really is redundant in that it doesn't change its meaning. What's the alternative interpretation as the opposite of really, does dubiously want promotion, does questionably want promotion? Either way you're still having a go at SL

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I suspect they're like most in that they're willing to put up with it as long as it works. As soon as it doesn't they'll quickly change their minds, as happened with Harris and Warnock before him.

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Think you’ve misinterpreted my question mate. Was asking why they keep appointing managers who produce boring football, I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t be. 

I wonder if it is also awareness of the players they have. I've lost track of Cardiff a little bit this season but, assuming their personnel is roughly similar to the last couple of years, a manager who imposes a rigid structure and system, soaks up pressure and uitlises pace on the flanks and power and strength up front is going to be better placed to get the best out the players than someone who wants tika taka or total football...

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Warnock took them up, left them in a good place financially I expect what with parachute payments. 

As I said earlier in the thread, and on several in the summer. I’d have liked McCarthy here, someone who’s been promoted out of this league and knows what he’s doing.

McCarthy was my second choice after Hughton aswell to be fair. As you said he is a man that knows what he is doing at this level and with the budget he would have had available here i think he would have got us challenging. Would he have been too outspoken to work under the current regime at the club though? Probably would have been my guess as he does not come under the ‘yes man’ box that the board so desperately wanted.

21 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Seen Mick McCarthy is being linked with it.

Would’ve took him here when Johnson was sacked.

BBC sport says now hes set to sign, exp of taking teams up to prem, Wolves, Sunderland. Unlike our carefully selected (over many weeks of thought) manager, who has.............no exp of anything much really.:doh:

1 hour ago, bris red said:

McCarthy was my second choice after Hughton aswell to be fair. As you said he is a man that knows what he is doing at this level and with the budget he would have had available here i think he would have got us challenging. Would he have been too outspoken to work under the current regime at the club though? Probably would have been my guess as he does not come under the ‘yes man’ box that the board so desperately wanted.

Maybe Dean was the only one in "the yes man box"

3 hours ago, IAmNick said:

What about the seasons before that?

3rd, 47 points, +14 GD?

Sounds like backwards to me!

I think people would say considering the huge increase in expenditure and the increase in the wage budget that gaining the same points total is going backwards in meaningful terms.

Well, yes: we have gone backwards from that peak of late 2017 - early 2019, but that decline began under LJ. Without Reid, Webster or Brownhill, neither LJ nor Holden can keep that level going. And we didn't manage to finish 3rd. Overall, LJ averaged 12th (where we end up) and Deano is doing a little better than that at the moment. 

We've gone backwards from a peak but Deano has us trundling along in a middling sort of way; he didn't start the fire (of going backwards), though.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I would guess that he appoints mangers that he thinks are going to be sucessful rather than get too hung up in whether they’re going to produce something artistic

Success brings in crowds , and the revenue, and makes for a healthy club

* And I don’t see or label MM as a ‘defensive manager’

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I would guess that he appoints mangers that he thinks are going to be sucessful rather than get too hung up in whether they’re going to produce something artistic

Success brings in crowds , and the revenue, and makes for a healthy club

* And I don’t see or label MM as a ‘defensive manager’

Nor me, a bit / lot direct at Rep of Ireland, but not at all clubs.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nor me, a bit / lot direct at Rep of Ireland, but not at all clubs.

Always seen him as one who will work with what he’s got and a realist about his squads abilities and best chance of winning / succeeding (RofI being a prime example)

Possibly a bit ‘old fashioned’ / British / Not trendy enough for some , but I remember his Wolves , Sunderland sides being front foot 

Was my first choice personally after LJ

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I suspect they're like most in that they're willing to put up with it as long as it works. As soon as it doesn't they'll quickly change their minds, as happened with Harris and Warnock before him.

Nailed it. If you play crap football you have to finish top 6 no excuses otherwise people won’t put up with it or if they do it will be with much negativity. Put it this way, if we were in 9th place because we won 5-2 one week, 3-2 the next and then threw a game 4-2 because we can’t defend then battered a bottom of the league team and conceded a last minute equaliser because again we can’t defend it wouldn’t stop people buying season tickets.

If you play football to win 1-0 and you lose games 1-0 it absolutely stinks.

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

McCarthy is tainted by his time at Ipswich. Give him decent players and he’ll play football don’t worry about that. Would have been a good fit for us, not popular with many fans though and the exact opposite personality that Stevie and Marky want to work with. Having said that he put up with a load of restrictions at Ipswich, got hounded out now look at the state of them.

3 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Some Ipswich fans said they'd rather go down and get rid of Mick than endure another season of his football. 

Well, they got their wish, I wonder if the footballs any better... 

Mick wasn’t only working with his hands tied behind his back at Ipswich, they tied his bloody legs as well.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

McCarthy is tainted by his time at Ipswich. Give him decent players and he’ll play football don’t worry about that. Would have been a good fit for us, not popular with many fans though and the exact opposite personality that Stevie and Marky want to work with. Having said that he put up with a load of restrictions at Ipswich, got hounded out now look at the state of them.

I’d have been more than happy.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Always seen him as one who will work with what he’s got and a realist about his squads abilities and best chance of winning / succeeding (RofI being a prime example)

Possibly a bit ‘old fashioned’ / British / Not trendy enough for some , but I remember his Wolves , Sunderland sides being front foot 

Was my first choice personally after LJ

He was probably many people’s 3rd choice in reality behind Hughton and Cook.

The Board took an eternity to decide on next to nobodies choice (and I don’t blame Dean Holden for that one iota, he was entitled to go for a job that secures his family’s future and he’s giving his best in testing circumstances whether anyone thinks that’s any good or not).

It was the Owners prerogative to rubber stamp that recommendation  as we are in a situation where he states it’s his dough, his club but if it all goes South from here then there are only three people who are accountable.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d have been more than happy.

Same, but many wouldn’t have been because in comparison to Hughton.........

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Cardiff lads on Facebook that I know are far from happy with what I think will be a good appointment. 

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Well, yes: we have gone backwards from that peak of late 2017 - early 2019, but that decline began under LJ. Without Reid, Webster or Brownhill, neither LJ nor Holden can keep that level going. And we didn't manage to finish 3rd. Overall, LJ averaged 12th (where we end up) and Deano is doing a little better than that at the moment. 

We've gone backwards from a peak but Deano has us trundling along in a middling sort of way; he didn't start the fire (of going backwards), though.

Ah ok, so if we arbitrarily start using average position rather looking at the recent trend then it's not downhill, got it!

Also generally I'm not sure what you call the other side of a peak, but a common word is again, downhill.

Flippancy aside I agree he didn't start the fire, but I don't think he's helping arrest it either. I think there's a bigger picture here.

Archived