IGNORED

Boring Sports to watch

Super

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

If you don’t bet then I can see why you’d find it boring. Personally I like it - especially jump racing.

I find American sports a bit boring but have been live to a few and it’s decent. 

Most others I like. Golf is great for the majors and Ryder cup. Nothing better than test cricket either although like all forms of the game. 

Amazed no one has mentioned marathons and Tour de France (which I like watching myself). 

Haha i love the Tour de France, in fact i love watching all road cycling 

From the popular sports just rugby really, there's just no interest in it in South Yorkshire, I don't know anyone who follows it up here. It really surprised me how many people are into it when I went to uni in West Yorkshire, it's arguably bigger than football there. 

Aside from that any of the 'artistic' sports that are determined by judges. Ice skating, rhythm gymnastics, diving, even the more interesting things like snowboarding on the half pipe. They're all really difficult to understand if you've not got knowledge of the complexity of the moves or how the scoring works. These are pretty much the only things I tend to avoid at the Olympics/Winter Olympics.

I quite enjoy watching Curling at the Winter Olympics, but reckon that must be up there as the most boring of sports if you don't like it.

On 21/01/2021 at 19:47, Robbored said:

There are various formats in bowls - Singles each player has 4 bowls usually it’s first to 21 but another way with singles is sets. Again each player has 4 woods and plays 11 ends per set. If it’s 1-1 then three ends are played but the shot count is irrelevant- it’s about winning the end,

Pairs - 4 bowls each 18 ends.

Triples - 3 bowls each - 18 ends.

Fours - each player has 2 woods - usually 18 ends.

The scoring is dead simple. The bowl nearest the Jack counts as 1 and if you have second nearest as well that’s 2 and so on.......

Its how you score shots that makes the game so fascinating.

why do they squirt paint on the big balls that hit the jack

25 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

why do they squirt paint on the big balls that hit the jack

It’s spray chalk and is used when a bowl touches the Jack it becomes a ‘toucher’ and should that bowl end up in the ditch it remains ‘live’ whereas non toucher bowls are removed from the ditch.

It can be an advantage to have a toucher in the ditch.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It’s spray chalk and is used when a bowl touches the Jack it becomes a ‘toucher’ and should that bowl end up in the ditch it remains ‘live’ whereas non toucher bowls are removed from the ditch.

Mate got arrested for that once.

On 24/01/2021 at 16:06, Owl Visiting said:

From the popular sports just rugby really, there's just no interest in it in South Yorkshire, I don't know anyone who follows it up here. It really surprised me how many people are into it when I went to uni in West Yorkshire, it's arguably bigger than football there. 

Rugby Union is huge down here. Bristol Bears share AG with us and regularly attract large crowds. Sell outs against Exeter and Bath every season

Thankfully we’re not subjected to rugby league as you guys up north are.

I'm shocked by some of the answers here.

Horse Racing - Terrific day out! So much excitement especially when you have a flutter.

Basketball - Really easy to understand, go watch it live, full of energy and excitement, yes it's cheesy but a great spectacle and short quarters so flies by. 

Running - Usain Bolt in the Olympic. Edge of seat stuff!

My ones would be golf, baseball and snooker. 

On 24/01/2021 at 16:06, Owl Visiting said:

Aside from that any of the 'artistic' sports that are determined by judges. Ice skating, rhythm gymnastics, diving, even the more interesting things like snowboarding on the half pipe. They're all really difficult to understand if you've not got knowledge of the complexity of the moves or how the scoring works. These are pretty much the only things I tend to avoid at the Olympics/Winter Olympics.

Completely agree. This like gymnastics and diving all look exactly the same and I'll think that was good and they get rubbish scores. The next person does the exact same as far as I can tell and gets the highest scores!

There's a few sports I find boring to watch, but a more fun to play - snooker, golf, etc.

I love F1 but can see how some people can find it uninteresting, but I love all the small little tactics and tweaks the teams make. It looks like nothings happening, but its technically always on a knife-edge.

On 24/01/2021 at 21:50, Robbored said:

when my grandfather was alive,he used to make them, he also made a set of skittles for the wagon and horses in backwell. very talented carpenter

On 21/01/2021 at 12:47, Robbored said:

There are various formats in bowls - Singles each player has 4 bowls usually it’s first to 21 but another way with singles is sets. Again each player has 4 woods and plays 11 ends per set. If it’s 1-1 then three ends are played but the shot count is irrelevant- it’s about winning the end,

Pairs - 4 bowls each 18 ends.

Triples - 3 bowls each - 18 ends.

Fours - each player has 2 woods - usually 18 ends.

The scoring is dead simple. The bowl nearest the Jack counts as 1 and if you have second nearest as well that’s 2 and so on.......

Its how you score shots that makes the game so fascinating.

I'm no bowler, was hideously awful at it, but love watching it, also curling as I live in Canada, similar endgames I suppose

• Admin
On 23/01/2021 at 13:29, Rob k said:

Haha i love the Tour de France, in fact i love watching all road cycling 

I can watch shorter forms of cycling but the TDF just goes on for so long with little or nothing happening

I can remember the old milk race in the UK, used to stand for ages on the seafront in Weston, only for them to fly past in seconds

On 25/01/2021 at 11:44, OneTeamInBristol said:

Has to be snooker for me. When there's 2 slow players I struggle to watch more than a couple of shots.

The constant re-chalking of the cue drives me mad.

Oddly I got interested in the recent tournament that was shown on the BBC, but agree frames can go on so long. It's the endless safety shots that bore me

Oddly one sport that I have never watched that I am following now is the biathlon, luckily Eurosport has a highlights programme but it is oddly interesting 

58 minutes ago, phantom said:

I can watch shorter forms of cycling but the TDF just goes on for so long with little or nothing happening

I can remember the old milk race in the UK, used to stand for ages on the seafront in Weston, only for them to fly past in seconds

I remember standing in Cheddar Gorge waiting for the Tour of Britain but that was worth it as they were going up it slowly and you could pick out the stars quite easily.

On 27/01/2021 at 23:02, redsquirrel said:

when my grandfather was alive,he used to make them, he also made a set of skittles for the wagon and horses in backwell. very talented carpenter

You’ve obviously inherited some his practical skills RS. 

Im sure many of us remember the Bristol City petrol mower that you built.

All American sport (ice hockey doesn't count being more of a Canadian sport), particularly Wimpball (otherwise known as American football) where despite the body armour they run off down the tunnel if they break a fingernail, basketball and NASCAR. 

Interestingly Netball was an American sport but they've seemingly abandoned it and its no longer boring as the Commonwealth countries took the sport to another level. 

On 24/01/2021 at 22:50, Robbored said:

Originated in Italy, "you toucha my bowls, I breaka you face"

Archived